2016 Draft: 2nd Pick: Tyler Benson (UPD: Invited to Summer WJC Camp)

North

Jun 25, 2009
Apparently he skated with Klefbom last week and the Oilers checked him out health wise. They were satisfied with what they saw.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Obviously not a great pick but really the one with the clearest highest upside.

There really isn't any other picks left that would make this selection look bad except with extreme hindsight bias.

Still a bit bitter about how good last years draft was supposed to be and we used so many of our picks in trade.

McQuixote

Jan 27, 2006
Edmonton, AB
This reminds me of all the other failed early 2nd round picks.

I hope I'm wrong and this kid plays a long career in Edmonton.

Yeah, I don't want to jump all over it because it sounds like it's not exactly a stretch to draft this player here.

But the Oilers really seem to have an institutional bias towards this type of player - the Jarret Stoll type - and it hasn't been working out for them at all.

I'd like to think that this time it's different, but there is that traditional definition of insanity. As Homer would say, "after years of disappointment with get-rich quick scheme, I know I'm gonna get rich with this scheme. And quick."

Meanwhile while the Oilers are drafting Piclilcks, Morozes and Hamiltons, the league's successful teams are mining players like Pirri and Tatar and Toffoli. This pick didn't bug me until Chicago pounced on DeBrincat. Patterns, man.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Love, love the pick. Scouts are to fickle with injuries. Gotta think long term. Guy is a bull dog and has some incredible tools. Just improve skating and could have something special. People will compare him to Pitty, and honestly I dont think thats a bad thing. Pitty developed relatively well considering he had the worst luck for injuries. I dont think Benson will have that amount of bad luck

He sounds alot like another Vancouver Giants PWF, Milan Lucic.

I remember watching this kid at John Reid Memorial tourny a couple years back when he was a bantam aged kid. Benson was so hyped at this time, next 1st overall in NHL, rival Mackinnon type stuff. Put up 146 point in 33 games. Anyway, at the tourny this kid flat out dominated, I was in shock. I honestly had no doubt this kid was next big thing and I was making jokes back in 2013 that he was going to be Oilers #1 pick in 2016 (how said that turned out).

He holds the all time scoring record in that tourny. Over an elite field of players. That tourny is the breeding ground for the next crop of NHL stars. Toews was the other record holder until Benson passed him

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
Well, he had been ranked well into in the first round until he got hurt with something that should not impede him. He was the guy I wanted in this spot.
Exactly this guy would have been close to a top ten overall if he had played all year.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Not sure how to feel about this one.

Picking these safe lower upside guys at the top of the second has not worked for the Oilers.

McDreamy

Losing credibility
Feb 25, 2009
I'm much happier with this pick than Moroz a few years ago. Benson was a first round talent, hope he can overcome the injury problems.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

Picking these safe lower upside guys at the top of the second has not worked for the Oilers.

I wouldnt say he is low upside at all, in fact id say he has amongst higher upside of any guy in this range, save for maybe Debrincat. If he had a full season at his ppg pace, hed easily be a 1st round pick, maybe top 15 even. This is no Moroz pick. His upside is thru the roof

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
This pick isn't bad. I think he's a for sure bottom sixer but I don't think he'll be a top six guy.

Still, better than most picks the Oil take at this number.

OnTheBrink

Apr 19, 2013
Airdrie

Funny how two people see it completely different, I think he has high end upside and not for injury would have been a top 20 pick for sure, when he returned from injury earlier in the season he improved at a very good rate almost every game until he got injured again.

I think his floor is 3rd/4th line tweener but easily has top 6 upside, if he really focuses on skating(which isn't bad just average IMO) he has sky high potential.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Benson could be the best player from this draft. Injuries destroyed his development but he has all world skill.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
You can't even compare this pick to Moroz. Benson is an entirely different tier at the same age.

Moroz had 25 points in 66 games during his draft year. Come on. Benson is a stud he would have easily been top 15 if he hadn't been injured.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
great pick.

Was the best player there, only scared people off due to health I guess. We're also very weak at forward in the prospect pool

blupye*

Jul 6, 2011
Nova Scotia
Love, love the pick. Scouts are to fickle with injuries. Gotta think long term. Guy is a bull dog and has some incredible tools. Just improve skating and could have something special. People will compare him to Pitty, and honestly I dont think thats a bad thing. Pitty developed relatively well considering he had the worst luck for injuries. I dont think Benson will have that amount of bad luck

He sounds alot like another Vancouver Giants PWF, Milan Lucic.

I remember watching this kid at John Reid Memorial tourny a couple years back when he was a bantam aged kid. Benson was so hyped at this time, next 1st overall in NHL, rival Mackinnon type stuff. Put up 146 point in 33 games. Anyway, at the tourny this kid flat out dominated, I was in shock. I honestly had no doubt this kid was next big thing and I was making jokes back in 2013 that he was going to be Oilers #1 pick in 2016 (how said that turned out).

He holds the all time scoring record in that tourny. Over an elite field of players. That tourny is the breeding ground for the next crop of NHL stars. Toews was the other record holder until Benson passed him

Wow, good to hear. Hard to get some info back here in NS on the players out west. Thx for the infp

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Safe, lower upside is an interesting description for him... He's got big upside imo

I haven't watched him a ton, but I didn't really see any huge upside.

I think he could be a solid complementary top6 winger, but I'm not sure there's potential for more than that. I think a lot of the upside talk comes from him tearing up midget vs. what he's done in the WHL. Not sure how realistic it is anymore.

I'd be interested if they could move him back to center(I'm guessing that's where he played in midget?) and groom him to be a top-end #3C.

The Moose

Mar 25, 2004
Edmonton
Yeah, I don't want to jump all over it because it sounds like it's not exactly a stretch to draft this player here.

But the Oilers really seem to have an institutional bias towards this type of player - the Jarret Stoll type - and it hasn't been working out for them at all.

I'd like to think that this time it's different, but there is that traditional definition of insanity. As Homer would say, "after years of disappointment with get-rich quick scheme, I know I'm gonna get rich with this scheme. And quick."

Meanwhile while the Oilers are drafting Piclilcks, Morozes and Hamiltons, the league's successful teams are mining players like Pirri and Tatar and Toffoli. This pick didn't bug me until Chicago pounced on DeBrincat. Patterns, man.

I understand the point you are trying to make, but DeBrincat?? He's listed at 170cm, smaller than St. Louis. He may have a ton of skill but his size is a gigantic disadvantage in today's NHL. He can never play the role Tatar or Toffoli are playing.

The Perfect Human*

Benson could be the best player from this draft. Injuries destroyed his development but he has all world skill.

ya this kid was a great talent and all round hockey player. Injuries definitely messed up his development path. Hopefully he can stay healthy, fully recover from his previous injuries and get back on that path. Was trending to be an outstanding prospect.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad