2016 Draft: 2nd Pick: Tyler Benson (UPD: Invited to Summer WJC Camp)

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

Wears 17 like Lucic does too. Looks a bit like Shaw out there. Similar size, similar bull dog approach. I have a feeling Chiarelli is giddy over this pick

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
Don't like it. Classic Oilers 2nd rounder. Guy who's been hurt. Picked the guy they know rather than BPA. Nothing against Benson, the local kid thing is a nice story but this is not an unbiased selection.

As if other teams don't make biased decisions on players they know well.

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
If it weren't for that nonsense Columbus pulled, I think Benson could be the steal of this draft. Might even be anyways.

McQuixote

Jan 27, 2006
Edmonton, AB
I understand the point you are trying to make, but DeBrincat?? He's listed at 170cm, smaller than St. Louis. He may have a ton of skill but his size is a gigantic disadvantage in today's NHL. He can never play the role Tatar or Toffoli are playing.

I think you're underlining the point I'm making. It's not that he has to be Toffoli - he could be Hudler, for example. Gaudreau. Briere. Teams that ignore these biases often wind up cashing in. Not every time, but often. "He's too short." Well, ****, one of the best drafting teams just took him in the 2nd round, so would you really bet against him?

Again, I understand that Benson "might be different." But it looks like the Oilers bias towards players like these at the expense of "riskier high-skill" picks continues to exist. It's a little bit concerning. I hope this time it pans out.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I think you're underlining the point I'm making. It's not that he has to be Toffoli - he could be Hudler, for example. Gaudreau. Briere. Teams that ignore these biases often wind up cashing in. Not every time, but often. "He's too short." Well, ****, one of the best drafting teams just took him in the 2nd round, so would you really bet against him?

Again, I understand that Benson "might be different." But it looks like the Oilers bias towards players like these at the expense of "riskier high-skill" picks continues to exist. It's a little bit concerning. I hope this time it pans out.

I think the bigger knock on Debrincat more than the size thing is that he is really small but also not a great skater. Small but great skaters can make it work. But small and not a good skater is something to really give pause. Schremp suffered same issues. Nearly no small NHL players are also not great skaters

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
Seems the the later picks are made more logically and intelligently than before. Still taking a risk but then any pick is a risk. Glad no so-so ex-Oil Lings or Oiler bloodline links are being picked. (Musil, Moroz, Lowe).

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton

I would argue that the safer pick also has the higher skill in this case. Benson's stock has dropped due to unfortunate injuries.

The Moose

Mar 25, 2004
Edmonton

But doesn't Benson pick fit into the same "bias ignoring" mold? There is a bias against players whose development path was wrecked by injuries, and the Oilers ignored that bias. It's just a different type of risk compared with the risk of drafting a player with other disadvantage (size). We went the "small but skilled" route before, with Omark and Shremp for example, it is not as if we always have a bias against them. Benson is not a "safe" pick, same as DeBrincat is not. They are just not safe picks in different ways, for different reasons.

suddeninterest

Aug 19, 2014
I think he's a 3rd line wing with the potential for more. If he can stay healthy he will play in the NHL. Remember he scored .73 ppg as a 16 year old. He has top 20 skill IMO.

I almost think of it as similar to Sprong last year. Had issues and fell. Obviously Sprong fell further.

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
Unsubstantiated negative comments all over the place. I think it may work out for once that an injured player doesn't stay oft injured.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
In the interview he talked about his injury being related to hip flexor weakness which he has worked to fix. Were there more injuries that he suffered this year?

Either way its one year of injuries and it doesn't sound like its going to be an issue going forward. I like the pick and think he could have a big year next season. Like the style of game he plays and the skill and upside.

oStealthKiller*

Master Monkey Herder
Jul 2, 2012
Edmonton
I remember watching this kid numerous times in his bantam career and I honestly thought he would be the next big thing. When he played Sam steel and sherwood park in the playoffs, he was a 200 foot beast that controlled every aspect of the game. He threw steel around like a child and broke the will of that team. I am really happy with this pick

HeroToNobody

Oct 23, 2014
Happy with the pick, and even happier we snagged Niemalinen in the THIRD ROUND as well!!!
:handclap::handclap:
I just can't help but think that we should have picked DeBrincat at 32... Kid plays a style of game that made me think Chia would see Marchand/Gally in him and add another dynamic, skillful player. Benson seems like a great all-around player, but I can't see him becoming anything more than a 3rd line winger.

puckfan13

Jan 18, 2010
Hockey sense and competitiveness define his game... Played likely the majority of his games he did play in pain or actually injured, still was able to produce a point per game... Don't know how many of you guys have tried playing high level hockey with a cyst in your tailbone or with pubitis, guessing none of you... The way he played with his balls to the wall in high degrees of pain, being named captain of his team at 17... How can you dislike this pick, again I will say his hockey sense is off the charts. After next season someone will bump this thread and it will be hilarious to see the laughs we will have at some of the comments after an 80+ pt season.

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012

DeBrincat isn't just "small", he's small for the small guys. Eberle towers over him.

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
Wanted Niemelainen here but seeing him fall to the third round makes up for it. Great picks for Edmonton imo.

puckfan13

Jan 18, 2010
Best way to describe his game is he plays that Ryan O'Reilly style of game... always making the right play that is there and working his butt off to get to spots where he can affect the game.. smart, smart player.. and he will work hard at his game..

Hordichuk_24

Steal of a pick. Should have been selected last night. I'm sure he'll be a better pro than several guys picked late in round 1. Not going to name names but I could only shake my head at some of them. Many teams will regret passing him over. I hope he plays extra motivated to prove many doubters wrong.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
If you would ever seen him you play you wouldn't say that. Ran into some bad luck playing in the WHL but make no mistake if he stays healthy he'll make it to the bigs sooner than you think.

Yep. Tough year injury wise but I think he rebounds. Top 6 upside.

Kalost

Jan 21, 2015
was really hoping we could grab him with our 2nd, i think he can become a 2nd liner or atleast a high end 3rd liner, hope he can have an injury free season and we will get a good idea on what we have

Hordichuk_24

People are really taking this "injury thing" and blowing it way out of proportion. For starters it's basically one injury. One lead to another injury (Benson was rushed back too soon) but it stems from one fluke injury. A non career threatening injury. Not like the kid blew out his knee or something. Now all of a sudden he's deemed injury prone? It's absurd. So many teams were way too focused on that. It doesn't help Vancouver has a poor team so his point totals and overall production suffered because of that. But he was their best player as a 16 year old and he was their best player at maybe 70% last season when he was in the line up. I hope Hanlon will surround him with a guy who can score. Right now their roster has some glaring holes.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Not sure how to feel about this one.

Picking these safe lower upside guys at the top of the second has not worked for the Oilers.

I'm surprised you feel that way.

Personally I think it's the opposite. He has the potential to be the Saad/Jenner of this draft. I can't believe some people are upset we passed on DeBrincat. He has played with McDavid and Strome the last two years, how could you possibly be sure he is the real deal? He looked like crap at the World Juniors. Benson is a much safer pick with bigger upside IMO. Not to mention, at 5'7 it's top 6 or bust for DeBrincat. He will not play on anyone's 3rd line and clearly he wouldn't be playing in a top 6 role here anytime soon.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
Benson seems like a high upside pick. He was ppg this season with horrible injury problems, it will be interesting to see what he does. Also, he was a phenom prior to his injuries, so he obviously has some high-end skill.

I'm guessing that if he played a full season last year, he's going in the first round. Good pick. And I wanted Debrincat coming into the draft. But Benson could be great.

Hordichuk_24

I'm guessing that if he played a full season last year, he's going in the first round.

If he were healthy he's a guaranteed first round pick. I'd argue as high as top 10 (especially if Vancouver didn't suck). I can't say enough good things about Benson. I'm not one of those over the top fanatic fans of players/prospects but there is literally nothing about Benson I don't like. And he will play in the NHL. I would bet the house on that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad