2016 Draft: 2nd Pick: Tyler Benson (UPD: Invited to Summer WJC Camp)

oStealthKiller*

Master Monkey Herder
Jul 2, 2012
Edmonton
If he were healthy he's a guaranteed first round pick. I'd argue as high as top 10 (especially if Vancouver didn't suck). I can't say enough good things about Benson. I'm not one of those over the top fanatic fans of players/prospects but there is literally nothing about Benson I don't like. And he will play in the NHL. I would bet the house on that.

I knew he'd slip because of the year he endured but I'm still surprised he didn't get taken in the first

Hordichuk_24

I knew he'd slip because of the year he endured but I'm still surprised he didn't get taken in the first

Me too. I thought teams would be smarter than that and not be blinded by the whole overblown injury concern. Some of the players taken late in the 1st...as I said earlier I was just shaking my head thinking how stupid these teams are. I knew he'd be one of the first taken on day two. Both Toronto and Edmonton were very interested and figured he would be selected either #1 or #2. Either way I'm looking forward to watching him this season. I think he's going to prove a lot of people wrong.

McNuge

Dec 17, 2010
Cambridge Ontario
Absolutely LOVE this pick. Wanted either him or Debrincat. I remember back when Benson was breaking Ty Ratties record in the AMBHL with 146 points in 33 games. He had an injury filled season but I have a great feeling he is going to be a good one.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
I definitely didn't want DeBrincat here. Benson is not the guy I would've chosen either but I'm fine with the pick. I really loved his game at the Ivan Hlinkas and if that's the real, injury-free Benson then I'll be psyched to see how he does next year.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I definitely didn't want DeBrincat here. Benson is not the guy I would've chosen either but I'm fine with the pick. I really loved his game at the Ivan Hlinkas and if that's the real, injury-free Benson then I'll be psyched to see how he does next year.

If Benson is healthy, he'll be one of the top players in the WHL next season. It'll be nice to have a WHL player in the org to get excited about again.

McQuixote

Jan 27, 2006
Edmonton, AB
DeBrincat isn't just "small", he's small for the small guys. Eberle towers over him.

You're exaggerating. I'm sure he'll be fine. There's something to that player. The Blackhawks don't waste their picks, as a rule. They didn't have many to waste this year.

But my comment/skepticism isn't really about DeBrincat, except that the opportunity for the Oilers to select him would have truly indicated a "new" philosophy in the draft room. That isn't to say Benson is the wrong pick or won't pan out. I don't know. Nobody does.

As a pattern though, this seems to me to be a very Oilers pick in a very Oilers draft. Despite the front office changes, I don't know if this draft - in a very broad stroke sense - is all that different than those of years gone by. A two-way WHL forward, a handful of "cross your fingers defensemen", a goalie picked after the top goalie prospects have already been picked, etc. But maybe the connections here are superficial (and I'm sure they're common to many teams) and I'm reading too much into things because I'm just wary of the Curtis Hamilton song being played yet again.

Still, I don't think it's unreasonable to be skeptical of the Oilers here, at least until their picks start panning out, or they actually do something different at the draft.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
You're exaggerating. I'm sure he'll be fine. There's something to that player. The Blackhawks don't waste their picks, as a rule. They didn't have many to waste this year.

But my comment/skepticism isn't really about DeBrincat, except that the opportunity for the Oilers to select him would have truly indicated a "new" philosophy in the draft room. That isn't to say Benson is the wrong pick or won't pan out. I don't know. Nobody does.

As a pattern though, this seems to me to be a very Oilers pick in a very Oilers draft. Despite the front office changes, I don't know if this draft - in a very broad stroke sense - is all that different than those of years gone by. A two-way WHL forward, a handful of "cross your fingers defensemen", a goalie picked after the top goalie prospects have already been picked, etc. But maybe the connections here are superficial (and I'm sure they're common to many teams) and I'm reading too much into things because I'm just wary of the Curtis Hamilton song being played yet again.

Still, I don't think it's unreasonable to be skeptical of the Oilers here, at least until their picks start panning out, or they actually do something different at the draft.

As someone who's high on Debrincat, he really isn't exaggerating. There's no way to know if he'll be able to do it at the NHL level and he is as small as they come at 5'7 160, and likely done growing.

The black hawks have wasted numerous late firsts and 2nds in recent years so thats not really true either. Just because they got lucky hitting on Keith and Seabrook and a few depth guys years back doesn't make them suddenly some drafting geniuses. They've missed on a lot of picks and many in the high part of the draft as well.

McQuixote

Jan 27, 2006
Edmonton, AB
As someone who's high on Debrincat, he really isn't exaggerating. There's no way to know if he'll be able to do it at the NHL level and he is as small as they come at 5'7 160, and likely done growing.

The black hawks have wasted numerous late firsts and 2nds in recent years so thats not really true either. Just because they got lucky hitting on Keith and Seabrook and a few depth guys years back doesn't make them suddenly some drafting geniuses. They've missed on a lot of picks and many in the high part of the draft as well.

Of course he's exaggerating. A difference of 6-10 cm isn't "towering."

All teams miss on players. Even Detroit, yeah? But the Blackhawks have done a pretty good job mining 2nd and later rounds for quality NHLers (and the amateur free agent scene). At the very least, I think it's hard to argue that they're doing as poor or worse than the Oilers. Their amateur scouting seems very solid.

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012

The height difference between DeBrincat and Eberle is the height difference between Eberle and Pouliot/Perry/Lucic sized players. Suspicion of the Oilers' hometown favoritism is fine and logical but DeBrincat isn't Brandon Saad falling from 22nd on McKenzie's list. If anything Benson shares more in common with Saad since both were highly rated before their draft year but fell as the year went on.

RuneMcEres

Seasons in the Abyss
Oct 24, 2006
Bergen, Norway
Love, love the pick. Scouts are to fickle with injuries. Gotta think long term. Guy is a bull dog and has some incredible tools. Just improve skating and could have something special. People will compare him to Pitty, and honestly I dont think thats a bad thing. Pitty developed relatively well considering he had the worst luck for injuries. I dont think Benson will have that amount of bad luck

He sounds alot like another Vancouver Giants PWF, Milan Lucic.

I remember watching this kid at John Reid Memorial tourny a couple years back when he was a bantam aged kid. Benson was so hyped at this time, next 1st overall in NHL, rival Mackinnon type stuff. Put up 146 point in 33 games. Anyway, at the tourny this kid flat out dominated, I was in shock. I honestly had no doubt this kid was next big thing and I was making jokes back in 2013 that he was going to be Oilers #1 pick in 2016 (how said that turned out).

He holds the all time scoring record in that tourny. Over an elite field of players. That tourny is the breeding ground for the next crop of NHL stars. Toews was the other record holder until Benson passed him
Wow. Thanks for the report. I've been excited to get him since Stauffer started hyping him. Of course, I've never seen him, but I guess he would have been a lock to go in the top ten if the freak injuries hadn't derailed his season.

Yeah15

2nd Tier Fan
Mar 15, 2007
So we get to see these guys pretty quick at the development camp, right? I overheard JP wouldn't be attending due to knee surgery in May

ponokanocker

Nov 17, 2009
This is who I was really hoping would fall to us at 32. Hope he can put his injury issues behind him.

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
ill point out that benson fell because of things NOT in his control. that is why I loved the pick.
when a guy falls in his draft year because of things he can control...I steer clear.

what did the guy average 4 points a game in bantam? 5? 6? then he grew another 3 inches and filled out

frankly from a physical standpoint. its hard to grow and pack on mass ANd play a physical port for 60 games AND NOT get injured. Its a matter of bone nfusion and joint strengthening and tendon elasticity. the more you grow the less strength their is. I knew hockey playera who had mental problems because they shot up 2/2 1/2/ 3 inches in less than 2 years and their bladders didn't adjust fast enough. the body takes a while to strengthen the expansion.

period

anyone who is making comparisons to pitlick has NO CLUE and doesn't pay ANY attention to prospects and lower le\agues.

look through this thread now and see who follows development leagues and who doesn't.

it isn't a stretch pick toANY of the experts. NONE. if you think its a stretch than people should mentally note that you think so for future reference.

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
So we get to see these guys pretty quick at the development camp, right? I overheard JP wouldn't be attending due to knee surgery in May

yup. everyone has known this for a while. he will be ready for main camp.

RipsADrive

Sep 16, 2008
Edmonton
Benson have a shot at the WJHC team?

Would be nice to have a high profile guy on Team Canada again.

I would guess it depends on how he rebounds this year.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
This was the guy i was hoping for. His scoring stats are solid for a 2nd round pick and with what he went thru it's even more impressive. His stats as a 16 year old are very good, hence he was expected to be a 1st rounder. He has no glaring weaknesses but could get a bit faster and isn't huge, just good sized. The biggest concern is injuries and it seems to me a cyst is as one off of a thing as a guy can get and it explains the inflamed public bone issue as well, another one off issue. After a season of rehabbing and rest he should be fine, this could be a real steal. Really happy they took him as he has the pedigree and the stats to not be considered a reach.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions

Id imagine that his gritty two way style of play and leadership will give him a shot to make it this year as those are things that Team Canada regularly looks for in bottom 6 guys. The following WJHC will likely be his opportunity to shine though.

Hordichuk_24

frankly from a physical standpoint. its hard to grow and pack on mass ANd play a physical port for 60 games AND NOT get injured. the more you grow the less fused your bones are.

Benson was hurt last summer during the Hlinka tournament. He played through it and still performed well. Problem is he tried to return to the ice at the start of training camp, didn't feel right and ended up resting for weeks. Had multiple scans done to determine whether or not he needed surgery. At best he was playing at 70% last season. And yet he was still the Giants best player. Now, on one hand that's sad and doesn't say a lot about the team. On the other hand it's quite impressive. He tried to take the team on his back and do things outside of his comfort zone (like being their most consistently physical forward and even fighting) when he was in pain most of the time. I'm glad the team finally let him sit the year out and get proper rest to heal up. He wanted to play badly especially when they were in a playoff push but it wasn't worth the risk. If the injury alone was the reason he dropped I would argue many teams/scouts were really over analyzing the situation. I know some people think his skating isn't great but I don't see that as a problem at all. Not to mention that is one of the easiest problems to address. Even saw a few comments about how he is ineffective on the forecheck. I find that claim to be ridiculous. Clearly whoever thinks that needs to watch him more often. He can be a force on the forecheck and when he forces turnovers he is very strong on the cycle. Only time will tell if he can put everything together and be the player he is capable of being. But I'm certainly confident he will make that happen. I see no reason for concern whatsoever.

Eskimo44 said:
The biggest concern is injuries and it seems to me a cyst is as one off of a thing as a guy can get and it explains the inflamed public bone issue as well, another one off issue.

The former caused the latter. He was overcompensating. Neither injury is career threatening. Which is why this whole injury stigma surrounding him is overblown.

Bangers

May 31, 2006
The height difference between DeBrincat and Eberle is the height difference between Eberle and Pouliot/Perry/Lucic sized players. Suspicion of the Oilers' hometown favoritism is fine and logical but DeBrincat isn't Brandon Saad falling from 22nd on McKenzie's list. If anything Benson shares more in common with Saad since both were highly rated before their draft year but fell as the year went on.

If Benson ends up on the level of Saad, that's a huge, huge win for the team.

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009

yes

how do Edmonton area hockey fans not know this guy?5 points a game? because he isn't on snet? seriously? this guy was a known commodity for years nationally. had people from the east looking at him at 14. had whl checking him at 14. insane.

growth=injurys=lower draft spot. still posts nearly point per game coming from injuries. my lawd. normally you post MORE points the more comfortable you get. dude never even got comfortable in 3 years and posts near ppg in draft year on mere sheer skill lol.

but seriously. anyone questioning this pick I know right away ESPEcIALLY if you are from Edmonton..you...do...not...pay any attention to the lower leagues of development.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->