2016 Draft: 2nd Pick: Tyler Benson (UPD: Invited to Summer WJC Camp)

Jepprey

Creeper
May 25, 2006
Another Pitlick to me. Let's hope this version pans out. He was certainly a kid to watch when he was a youngin... Low Risk / High Reward.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
IIRC, his injuries weren't game related no? I mean cyst in tailbone?

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
In bold for JTS:

Discuss!

U put it on bold. But no info on the guy. That has been my problem when you do these draft day threads. First thread for the new guys should be more then discuss. Giving actual information

I am stuck on a boat with leaf fans on the themes with dj cranking out bad rap. Not happy

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Umm wrong. Benson was projected to be a top 15 pick before injuries. Really high reward pick imo

This. Sometimes I wonder how many posters actually follow the prospects instead of spewing opinions that just want to slag management.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
U put it on bold. But no info on the guy. That has been my problem when you do these draft day threads. First thread for the new guys should be more then discuss. Giving actual information

I am stuck on a boat with leaf fans on the themes with dj cranking out bad rap. Not happy

Yep, I put it in bold to emphasize how much I'm just going to start the threads with that word and nothing else. Posters are always good at following up with very good information that takes seconds to read.

insider

Nov 14, 2003
Another Pitlick to me. Let's hope this version pans out. He was certainly a kid to watch when he was a youngin... Low Risk / High Reward.

I won't comment on the player himself because I've never seen him play, but how is he low risk with his injury history?

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
Don't like it. Classic Oilers 2nd rounder. Guy who's been hurt. Picked the guy they know rather than BPA. Nothing against Benson, the local kid thing is a nice story but this is not an unbiased selection.
If you would ever seen him you play you wouldn't say that. Ran into some bad luck playing in the WHL but make no mistake if he stays healthy he'll make it to the bigs sooner than you think.

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
This. Sometimes I wonder how many posters actually follow the prospects instead of spewing opinions that just want to slag management.

Has Benson been hurt and slid compared to original hype? Yes. Are the Oilers very familiar (probably more so than other teams) with Benson? Yes. I assume they think he's BPA and it's not really a reach pick but you can't tell me there aren't similarities to Pitlick, Musil, Moroz.

Also, I do follow the prospects and Benson has been on the radar for the past 3-4 years.

Johnny McBravo

Hello Connor
May 28, 2010
Canada
Has Benson been hurt and slid compared to original hype? Yes. Are the Oilers very familiar (probably more so than other teams) with Benson? Yes. I assume they think he's BPA and it's not really a reach pick but you can't tell me there aren't similarities to Pitlick, Musil, Moroz.

Also, I do follow the prospects and Benson has been on the radar for the past 3-4 years.

From all I hear his injuries are not something to be concerned about in the future. Most of them were complete flukes such as a tailbone cyst.

tempest2i

Jigsaw Falling Into Place
Oct 25, 2009
Cowtown
This reminds me of all the other failed early 2nd round picks.

I hope I'm wrong and this kid plays a long career in Edmonton.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
So anybody on here watched him live, especially before injuries? I really want to know how he skates. THN draft preview says he can't. What's the truth? With his mix of talent and temper, he could be a beauty if he can keep up. Injuries seem more freak than chronic. We'll see. Happy with the pick though I haven't really reviewed who we passed over yet.

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
If you would ever seen him you play you wouldn't say that. Ran into some bad luck playing in the WHL but make no mistake if he stays healthy he'll make it to the bigs sooner than you think.

If he can stay healthy is a red flag for me. A surgery to remove a cyst at his tailbone and then a lower body injury where he's shut down for the rest of the year would suggest a fascial correlation to the injury. These sorts of things can having lasting effects that lead to more injuries I don' like that risk. I also see Benson more as a 3rd liner at the NHL level. Will he play? Yeah I think he'll be an NHLer, but I don't think he'll be much of an impact player.

Is this my opinion? Yes. Personally, I liked other players here with less risk who are trending up. I'm not crapping on the kid , I just don't like the value here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->