2016 Development Camp

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
For shts and giggles, Martin Brodeur has been my favorite player ever. How has his son looked at camp? I know none of his kids are big prospects but I'm interested to see how he has compared against the others.

bizzz*

Why Gavrikov is not attending the camp? Has he ever been in Columbus since he was drafted?

Jackets Woodchuck

Dec 27, 2010
Is there anywhere to catch this on-demand? I lost track of time and missed it.

I'm really ready to give up hockey if I can't see this. i really am a crappy Blue Jackets fan.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
I don't recall if he came last year or not. I honestly want him to come over sooner rather then later. Other then Werenski he's by far my favorite D prospect and I have extremely high hopes for him. I honestly see him being our future #4 and being a shutdown guy. Even if he ends up being 3rd paid and it's him and Carlsson. Those 2 beasts would shut down anyone. There is a reason Gavrikov lion the WJC best dman award 2 years ago without scoring a goal.

Does anybody know his current contract over in the KHL? And how much longer do we hold his rights?

GoJackets1

Someday.
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
After watching that video, there were a few players that stuck out to me.

Dubois- Very obviously has great vision. A few great passes. Didn't seem like he was on the ice that much nor did I get the sense that that was his full effort level, but he still looked good.

Milano- I thought he was the best player on the ice by a lot. Fast, hard shot, etc. Even used his forehand.

Sherwood- What a shot this kid has. My comments on him are similar to mine on Milano, he's good.

Beauvillier- Once I figured out who he was I thought he looked pretty good, had a nice goal from the pass by Peeke. I wouldn't mind signing him to an ELC.

Abramov- He plays a lot like Cam. Small, but has a nose for the net. Has more raw skill than Cam too. Nice 3rd round pick.

Siebenaler- Fast, good breakouts, jumps into the play. I like his style of game, could be because that's my style too. :laugh: Nonetheless, he was one of the two best defensemen.

Nutivaara- The other one of the best defensemen, very composed and solid. Wouldn't surprise me if he got a few games in the NHL this year. Another nice pick by Jarmo.

Dansk- Every year I've watched development camp, Dansk has been there. Every year, I thought he was by far the worst of the goalies. He looked head and shoulders above what I remembered.

We're going to run out of space for all of these guys in a couple years, the future is bright.

Toe Pick

Jun 13, 2011
Columbus, OH
Couple of observations:

*Really impressed with Sherwood. Great skater. Utilizes his size well. Reads the play well. I was as impressed with him as any player on the ice.

*Carlsson is a tremendous skater -- especially for his size. This kid could make it on his skating alone. Reminds me of John Moore but even better.

*Abramov's defensive game definitely needs some work but his skill is "bring you out of your seat" good. Some of his stick work at high speed was jaw dropping and of course those shootouts were indeed filthy. He needs to lose the "bang the stick on the ice" crap which should come with maturity.

*Dubois's got the prottotype NHL build and showed some nice flashes. Seemed a bit winded but I also think he was holding back with the physical/edge part of his game as was everyone else. Can certainly see why scouts are drawn to this kid.

*Milano was flying out there and of course, showed us that sick backhand. The fact he's even here and putting in the work tells me a lot. Kid really wants it and quite frankly, he's made me a fan and I hope he can take it to the next level.

*Siebenaler can really skate. Kolesar was quite but like Dubois, don't think this kind of a tourney suits his overall game. Stendlund had a couple of moments. Peeke was better than I expected -- kid can move and had some nice "high IQ" type plays. Was cool to see Boone and Jones participating. And of course, nothing beats the Stinger Cup.

That's all I've got!

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Siebenaler- Fast, good breakouts, jumps into the play. I like his style of game, could be because that's my style too. :laugh: Nonetheless, he was one of the two best defensemen.

Nutivaara- The other one of the best defensemen, very composed and solid. Wouldn't surprise me if he got a few games in the NHL this year. Another nice pick by Jarmo.

Dansk- Every year I've watched development camp, Dansk has been there. Every year, I thought he was by far the worst of the goalies. He looked head and shoulders above what I remembered.

We're going to run out of space for all of these guys in a couple years, the future is bright.

I had sort of written Siebenaler off. How is his game changing? Do folks still think he has a shot?

Is Nutivaara going to the AHL this year? Or Liiga?

Good to hear Dansk is doing better. I had felt bad that he was even at this tournament - I know he is desperate to make a good impression but these tournaments are nightmares for goalies.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
First of all, I sat in the rows to the left of management. I noticed Jarmo and Bill Zito talk to each other numerous times (showing each other texts, trying to talk in privacy, etc), Jarmo also went and talked to JD for a little bit, but it seemed like it was just greetings. Zito and Jarmo however, were non stop looking at their phones. Zito was even on the phone talking a few times, with Jarmo mostly texting or emailing. JD left the tournament early, and Jarmo even left for a brief period as well before returning. IDK if it means anything, but I did think it was interesting especially since we know what tomorrow is the start of.

Glad I wasn't alone with raving about Abramov. Dude single handily won games for his team. He was by far the most impressive player at the tournament.

Milano was good. The guy just oozes offensive ability. Every time he has the puck he's a threat. His skill is outstanding. However, I expected him to dominate since he played professional hockey. While he looked good, If I was a new hockey fan and you would have told me only one of those kids played professional hockey last season, he would not have been my pick.

There was a few of the small guys that looked very good. Can't think of their names and don't have the paper with me, but they looked nice.

Collins had an absolutely brutal giveaway in one of the games. He just looks too tall, and he just looked lost.

Carlsson was alright. Skates well, even for his size.

As others said, Sherwood has a howitzer shot. Other than that, he was decent.

I was quite impressed with Peeke and Dansk. Peeke was better than I thought coming in, and Dansk looked like the best goalie out there. Although Dansk SHOULD.

Dubois was pretty good. Skates very well and has an accurate shot. Had some slick passes too.

You can only take so much out of this thing. It's all in good fun, but its a good first look at the guys. Hopefully the guys with a chance at a roster spot come ready to play in big boy camp.

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
I had sort of written Siebenaler off. How is his game changing? Do folks still think he has a shot?

Is Nutivaara going to the AHL this year? Or Liiga?

Good to hear Dansk is doing better. I had felt bad that he was even at this tournament - I know he is desperate to make a good impression but these tournaments are nightmares for goalies.

All 3 looked pretty good today. Don't know about NHL but it sounds like Siebenaler and Nutivaara are headed to LEM.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I'm going to hold off on getting too high on Abramov. Definitely a steal of a pick, but this is the kind of tournament a guy with his skill set is supposed to dominate. I want to see how he does in rougher games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad