2016 Development Camp

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
Josh Anderson fought more :naughty:

Edit: actually Kolesar had 1 more fight in the CHL, i messed something up there but still very similar :laugh:

I think Kolesar has the potential to be a top 6 LW/RW though. I don't think Anderson does.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Kolesar with the outside shot of getting NHL time this year? With the Jackets getting rid of deadweight they're basically telling everyone without a spot that "this spot is yours if you want it bad enough"

Going to create a lot of internal competition between Bjorkstrand, Anderson, Milano, PLD and maybe Kolesar.

I don't think Milano has much of a chance, and Kolesar is already quoted as assuming he's back in Seattle. I think that's the best spot for him, he still has room to grow down there. I'd maybe prefer AHL but he's 19 and not eligible yet.

Im not getting my hopes up by any means, but if he transitions to the AHL well this year i wont be surpised to see him get called up in the case of injuries (depending on whose hurt)

Kolesar is not eligible for the AHL. Stupid rule.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I don't think Milano has much of a chance, and Kolesar is already quoted as assuming he's back in Seattle. I think that's the best spot for him, he still has room to grow down there. I'd maybe prefer AHL but he's 19 and not eligible yet.

Kolesar is not eligible for the AHL. Stupid rule.

He seriously has to go back to juniors? Are you kidding me.

I wonder if Matthews started a new trend...wonder if we could get him to go play against grown men overseas? :laugh: :sarcasm:

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Yeah, don't ask me why the AHL is bound to respect the rule set forth by the CHL. There's some story there but I don't know it.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Yeah, don't ask me why the AHL is bound to respect the rule set forth by the CHL. There's some story there but I don't know it.

It's an old boy's club agreement between the NHL/CHL. In reality, NHL has all the leverage and could send its prospects wherever it wants. The argument that the NHL wants to maintain the quality of the CHL as a prospect pipeline has a few flaws.

First, the quality of the CHL for producing draft prospects might increase if players who are drafted do not return. This increases the ice time for the younger guys and gives them more exposure / coaching focus.

Second, if the CHL were to falter, a new league would immediately jump up and fill its spot. There is high demand for leagues which can lead to being drafted to the NHL.

Third, there are viable alternate pathways. Namely, the NCAA and going overseas (just like Matthews did).

Ideally, players would play in the CHL until they are drafted. Then they would go to either the ECHL or the AHL. The AHL would be like it is now -- a mixture of prospects and professional AHL'ers. The ECHL would be more for the "project" draft picks. This would help boost the exposure of the AHL and ECHL I think.

Last edited:

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
It's an old boy's club agreement between the NHL/CHL. In reality, NHL has all the leverage and could send its prospects wherever it wants. The argument that the NHL wants to maintain the quality of the CHL as a prospect pipeline has a few flaws.

First, the quality of the CHL for producing draft prospects might increase if players who are drafted do not return. This increases the ice time for the younger guys and gives them more exposure / coaching focus.

Second, if the CHL were to falter, a new league would immediately jump up and fill its spot. There is high demand for leagues which can lead to being drafted to the NHL.

Third, there are viable alternate pathways. Namely, the NCAA and going overseas (just like Matthews did).

Ideally, players would play in the CHL until they are drafted. Then they would go to either the ECHL or the AHL. The AHL would be like it is now -- a mixture of prospects and professional AHL'ers. The ECHL would be more for the "project" draft picks. This would help boost the exposure of the AHL and ECHL I think.
Thats exactly what I was thinking, why couldnt the 19/20 y.o overagers just go to the AHL or ECHL instead of going back and dominating 16 and 17 yr olds. It would allow for the younger kids to get more ice time and gets the 19/20 y.o kids accumulated to the professional game and lifestyle quicker and more access for the NHL teams to be able to pull up their prospects when need be.

It really seems like one of those things where it's so simple and you have to wonder why they arent doing it.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Milano - Dubois - Bjorkstrand
Saad - Dubinsky - Atkinson
Jenner - Wennberg - Foligno
Calvert - Karlsson - Anderson

:sarcasm:?

JacketsFanWest

Jun 14, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Thats exactly what I was thinking, why couldnt the 19/20 y.o overagers just go to the AHL or ECHL instead of going back and dominating 16 and 17 yr olds. It would allow for the younger kids to get more ice time and gets the 19/20 y.o kids accumulated to the professional game and lifestyle quicker and more access for the NHL teams to be able to pull up their prospects when need be.

While 16 years getting more playing time would help their development, it would mean the CHL on average getting younger. Forcing drafted players to go back means the majority of the ice time goes to older players.

Only the top 16 year olds play in the CHL. Many are in lower leagues and are called up when there are injuries. So most 16 year olds are getting plenty of playing time in Junior A and the quality of coaching depends on where they are playing.

For drafted players who need more development, do you want them playing against 16/17 year olds or 19/20 year olds?

The average age of the NCAA is getting older and older with so many players delaying 2-3 years. 25 year old seniors is becoming common. Those typically aren't the players who are drafted, but it means players like Werenski have been playing against practically grown men rather than teenagers.

IMO, the CHL doesn't want to get younger and I can see how NHL teams see the NCAA as a better development environment when prospects are playing against much older players.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Abramov can make some pretty slick passes. Looks a little rusty though and has a bit of a weird stride it looks like

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad