2016 Development Camp

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007
It is tough to get excited about a player who may never come over. I hope he does, but didn't he just sign for another 3 years with no NHL out clause? He seems to like it over there a lot and isn't too worried about getting over here to fight for a job.

Do we get to hold his rights throughout the course of his contract with Lugano? If so, he'll be 25 when that contract is up. Still young for a goalie, but with 4 years as a full time starter in a men's league he could be nicely developed by that point, and who knows where our goalies are then?

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
Do we get to hold his rights throughout the course of his contract with Lugano? If so, he'll be 25 when that contract is up. Still young for a goalie, but with 4 years as a full time starter in a men's league he could be nicely developed by that point, and who knows where our goalies are then?

I thought I read we do, since the NHL doesn't have a deal with the league he plays in.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
It is tough to get excited about a player who may never come over. I hope he does, but didn't he just sign for another 3 years with no NHL out clause? He seems to like it over there a lot and isn't too worried about getting over here to fight for a job.

He's a long-term prospect whose rights we retain as long as he's in Europe.

He said he's aware of the depth chart - Bob not going anywhere for four years, and both Korpi and Forsberg playing well this past season. He said he wants to improve his game while playing a bunch of games rather than 30 in the AHL. It's not a big deal.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
He's a long-term prospect whose rights we retain as long as he's in Europe.

He said he's aware of the depth chart - Bob not going anywhere for four years, and both Korpi and Forsberg playing well this past season. He said he wants to improve his game while playing a bunch of games rather than 30 in the AHL. It's not a big deal.

I never said it was a big deal. I said I'm not going to get excited about someone who may never come over. Also, one of our goaltenders might be gone after the expansion draft. We can only protect one of them.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
Some thoughts on one of the Jackets' free agent invitees - Francis Beauvillier (forward, UNB):

Simply put, I love his game. My favourite player on the V-Reds. He plays fast, he plays hard, he plays physical, and he's deceptively skilled. Following the latest CIS University Cup in March, Yahoo Sports put out a list of their top 5 CIS players most likely to make it to the NHL -- Beauvillier captured the #1 spot. Here are their comments:

Beauvillier was selected 174th overall by the Florida Panthers in 2012. The fleet-footed forward, the brother of Canadian national junior team forward Anthony Beauvillier, was once a candidate to play in the world juniors. What held back Beauvillier in his junior days was his lack of strength, but he now plays at 200 pounds. Beauvillier has shown his versatility all over the ice using his speed to beat defenders to the net as well as being a valuable asset on the penalty kill.

Beauviller has a very good chance to be the best pro to come out of the CIS since Joel Ward, IMO.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
I was there today to see group 2: Milano, DuBois, Carlsson, Roy looked very good but the person that really caught my eye was Kolesar. Very smooth skating & a wicked wrister.

He repeatedly hesitated just a split second prior to his shot and waited for the goalie to flinch.. then he put the puck right on the spot.. went glove shoulder twice on young Brodeur... then the next time just under the stick side.. sikkk.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio

Yes, he's on one of those special lists - like "Professional Suspension" or somethign like that. He's CBJ property provided he remains on the list which would certainly last through the contract.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I was there today to see group 2: Milano, DuBois, Carlsson, Roy looked very good but the person that really caught my eye was Kolesar. Very smooth skating & a wicked wrister.

He repeatedly hesitated just a split second prior to his shot and waited for the goalie to flinch.. then he put the puck right on the spot.. went glove shoulder twice on young Brodeur... then the next time just under the stick side.. sikkk.

Good to hear. I've heard of Kolesar catching eyes because of his physical play, and of course usually being the one black guy around. It's great to hear that his skill game is developing so much. He can be the total package, I think he's got to be one of our top 7 or 8 prospects.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I'm very interested in Gabe Carlsson. We traded up to get him, and he didn't seem to have a great year in Sweden. Especially since the trend of the NHL is to go away from Defense first guys, and we keep swooping them up (Collins, Carlsson, Peeke, Heatherington).

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
This is the first Dev camp I won't be able to attend in years.. Not much insight/thoughts from ppl who have attended it on the prospects so far..

Can anyone please share insight/opinions on what they have observed so far at camp?

Johnny Jacket

Jun 17, 2014
I'm very interested in Gabe Carlsson. We traded up to get him, and he didn't seem to have a great year in Sweden. Especially since the trend of the NHL is to go away from Defense first guys, and we keep swooping them up (Collins, Carlsson, Peeke, Heatherington).

http://bluejacketsxtra.dispatch.com...ing-to-grow-into-roles-with-blue-jackets.html

Posted Jun 28, 2016 by Tom Reed

The second day of Blue Jackets’ development camp saw one of the biggest defensive pairings since former coach Ken Hitchcock introduced Jan Hejda to Mike Commodore in 2008.

Gabriel Carlsson partnered with Ryan Collins during the afternoon session inside the OhioHealth Ice Haus. Carlsson is 6-foot-4 and has to look up to Collins, who stands 6-5. The two defensemen were paired together for most of the drills, giving fans a potential glimpse of the future.

Neither player is a candidate for ice time this season in Columbus, especially in a lineup likely to include three defenders (Seth Jones, Ryan Murray, Zach Werenski) 23-years-old and younger. Both young blueliners should benefit from additional seasoning.

Carlsson, a 2015 first-round pick, will rejoin Linkoping of the Swedish League, while Collins, a 2014 second-round choice, goes back to the University of Minnesota. It figures to be an important season of development for each. The Jackets used another second-round pick last week on 6-3, 205-pound Andrew Peeke, who debuts at camp Wednesday.

Last edited by a moderator:

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
I forgot to mention Collins, his skating in drills looked pretty good, I couldn't stay to see beyond the individual drills. I stood on the floor for a while Carlsson & Collins are big men & Roy is not small by any means. Kolesar & Dubois were certainly a few inches taller than any others in the forward group. Bird looked decent. Got to see Elvis as he warmed up..ha ha.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
This is the first Dev camp I won't be able to attend in years.. Not much insight/thoughts from ppl who have attended it on the prospects so far..

Can anyone please share insight/opinions on what they have observed so far at camp?

Stopped over at lunch, but don't have a ton of insight except that Dubois looked really good. I'm backing off the ledge on that pick for now.

Collins, of the couple drills I saw, wasn't all that impressive but that's an amateur opinion.

CalBuckeyeRob

Feb 25, 2012
Stopped over at lunch, but don't have a ton of insight except that Dubois looked really good. I'm backing off the ledge on that pick for now.

Collins, of the couple drills I saw, wasn't all that impressive but that's an amateur opinion.

His performance at Minnesota last season would suggest your opinion on him is not far off.

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com
Wouldn't say the trend is going away from defense first blueliners. It's moving away from the big, physical brutes and moving towards the guys who can at least adequately skate and move the puck. IMO those prospects listed above can skate and move the puck just fine, but I'm thinking Collins is a bust.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I forgot to mention Collins, his skating in drills looked pretty good, I couldn't stay to see beyond the individual drills. I stood on the floor for a while Carlsson & Collins are big men & Roy is not small by any means. Kolesar & Dubois were certainly a few inches taller than any others in the forward group. Bird looked decent. Got to see Elvis as he warmed up..ha ha.

but then you left the building? :laugh:

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Kolesar with the outside shot of getting NHL time this year? With the Jackets getting rid of deadweight they're basically telling everyone without a spot that "this spot is yours if you want it bad enough"

Going to create a lot of internal competition between Bjorkstrand, Anderson, Milano, PLD and maybe Kolesar.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
Im not getting my hopes up by any means, but if he transitions to the AHL well this year i wont be surpised to see him get called up in the case of injuries (depending on whose hurt)

Fair enough. I'll start to like his chances more when he starts fighting less.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Havent been able to see anything of dev camp being in Canada but with Kolesar hes always had good speed, good hands and a nice grit/work ethic combo. Ive liked him more then Anderson all along and Anderson has been nothing but impressive. That being said there is no reason to have him jump over the AHL, the team finally seems set on devolving and have enough of a prospect pool built up where people are playing where they should be

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad