Speculation: 2016 Coyotes Off-Season Roster Discussion - Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
Bottom pairing D minutes are still a lot of minutes, not a huge issue IMO.

Exactly. There are plenty of even strength minutes to go around, and having three top four quality defensemen down the left side is not a problem. Chychrun doesn't project as much of a powerplay threat anyway, and you can never have too many guys to kill penalties.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Quite disappointing in how the Coyotes D development has shaken out over the past few years :(

Remember when our D prospects were the envy of the league? Murphy and Stone have worked out but Gormley / Rundblad / Summers / Goncharov / Dahlbeck / Samuelsson not so much.

Just goes to show prospect pools always look better than they turn out. Law of averages show the majority of prospects do not become pros.
Something we should be mindful of when talking about the amazing forward prospect pool they have now. It's also why it's so important to get such a big pool of higher end prospects because you know a lot of them will not pan out. It's like buying raffle tickets, the more you have the better chance you'll win the big prize. I'm hoping the Yotes come out of this with 2 all-star capable forwards in addition to Domi and Duclair and the others that fail to meet expectations are still serviceable bottom 6 types. For example, we all hope Perlini will become a Jeff Carter type but if he can at least be Taylor Pyatt with wheels that would still make him very useful. Yes it sucks to watch a top 15 pick end up on the bottom 6 but that's far better than the Gormley and Rundblad type scenarios.

Blubba Jenkins

Not that Insightful
May 30, 2008
NE Florida
Quite disappointing in how the Coyotes D development has shaken out over the past few years :(

Remember when our D prospects were the envy of the league? Murphy and Stone have worked out but Gormley / Rundblad / Summers / Goncharov / Dahlbeck / Samuelsson not so much.

Just goes to show prospect pools always look better than they turn out. Law of averages show the majority of prospects do not become pros.
Turris/Boedker/Tikhonov/Porter/Lisin/Maclean/Mueller/Wheeler/Kolarik/Carcillo

That plus adding Olli Jokinen was supposed to be the envy of the NHL. I really want to believe this time is different.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
FYI for all the discussion here over Curtis Lazar, the Senators just assigned him to the AHL.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Hey guys, how has Strome looked thus far, which line do you expect him to start on?

I'm rooting for him to make it in Arizona. As nice as it would be if he came back to Erie (and possibly Erie subsequently flipping him for picks) I think he is mentally finished with junior hockey and gave the franchise three great seasons.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Also, looks like Barzal and Konecny have made the NHL.

Let's play a little Tuesday morning quarterback for fun.

There was that rumor of Boston wanted to trade their 3 1sts to us to take Boston-boy Hanifin at 3.

Knowing what we do now, do you trade Strome (3) for Barzal (16), Kyle Connor (17), and Konecny (24)? All 3 were actually taken after the Boston picks, but it'd have been an impressive haul.

Last edited:

tucknroll

Feb 13, 2015
Also, looks like Barzal and Konecny have made the NHL.

Let's play a little Tuesday morning quarterback for fun.

There was that rumor of Boston wanted to trade their 3 1sts to us to take Boston-boy Hanifin at 3.

Knowing what we do now, do you trade Strome (3) for Barkov (16), Kyle Connor (17), and Konecny (24)? All 3 were actually taken after Boston picks, but it'd have been an impressive haul.

Thats a alot of if's
Barzal was suppose to go top 10, connor around 12
But yes, even with the risk of not getting one of the 2 i personally would have probably, would prefer Hamilton and one of the 1st rounders more though

Barzal doesnt get enough credit on HF, he is in the same tier as Strome, if he wasnt playing through injury in his draft year and played on a team like Strome did, i believe he would have been a top 5 pick

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Sure, if they'll take Michalek's money. Otherwise we already have 3 or 4 guys who are spare D.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
If we retain half on Michalek 1.6m, they can bury 900k of that in the AHL. They'd take on 700k in cap and we'd save 800k in cash. We'd probably have to give them a decent asset to pull that off.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I'm going to guess Ottawa takes Condra. I think Seth Griffith gets claimed too. Maybe by us. And Crouse and Dauphin get cut. Probably not. But I'll say Condra and Griffith.

ParisSaintGermain

Jan 19, 2004
From Bob

"Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 32m32 minutes ago
Some underage junior news: Barzal/Beauvillier expected to be on NYI 23-man roster; D Strome/Crouse/Chychrun will make ARI's 23-man roster."

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
We dont have to make any cuts if someone claims Dahlbeck or Z, correct?

We're at 27, minus a claim is 26. With Stone and Kconn IR'd and Tinordi suspended.

Last edited:

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
We dont have to make any cuts if someone claims Dahlbeck or Z, correct?

We're at 27, minus a claim is 26. With Stone and IR'd and Tinordi suspended.

I believe this is correct. And if neither is claimed, you just need to send one of them to Tucson, if only on paper.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Once DeAngelo gets both his off the puck and maturity issues sorted he will make a great addition to the D corps. We should be very strong on the back end.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain

Interesting. I've never heard of this designation before.

Teams can only use Injured Non-Roster on players that fail their physicals at the start of training camp. The only difference between Injured Reserve (IR) and Injured Non-Roster that I'm aware of is IR requires the player to miss a minimum of 7 days. While Injured Non-Roster has no minimum amount of time missed.

Using Injured Non-Roster would suggest the team thinks one or both players could be cleared to play within a week.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Looks to be a young forward crop. Ages in parenthesis.

Domi (21) - Hanzal (29) - Vrbata (35)
McGinn (28) - Strome (19) - Duclair (21)
Crouse (19) - Dvorak (20) - Rieder (23)
Martinook (24) - Richardson (31) - Doan (40)

Average age is 25.83. Basically the same, 25.79, when you include 23-year-old Dauphin and 28-year-old White.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad