Speculation: 2016 Coyotes Off-Season Roster Discussion - Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
We need veteran support for this group. don't wanna be the oliers. If Doan, Z, and Hanzal are all gone who exactly leads these kids?

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
We need veteran support for this group. don't wanna be the oliers. If Doan, Z, and Hanzal are all gone who exactly leads these kids?

image.php

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Hanzal, despite injuries, only keeps getting better...don't you think so? He also plays pretty hard for somebody made of glass. Probably always amongst top3 forwards in hits per game.
I can absolutely see him play at 34 or even older. Can also be an advantage for him that he didn't always play 82 games per season.

I also agree with others that you need veterans in your lineup. Why wouldn't you wanna keep Hanzal? If he wants to stay I'm pretty sure they'll find a solution.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Love Hanzal. Really want them to extend him, but he's going to want term. It's his last chance to cash in on a big contract. I'd "overpay" on a one or two year deal. No interest in longer than that unless it's just a sweetheart deal.

I love Brooks Laich. Laich was 28 when he signed six years for 4.5per. Looked great until it didn't.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Love Hanzal. Really want them to extend him, but he's going to want term. It's his last chance to cash in on a big contract. I'd "overpay" on a one or two year deal. No interest in longer than that unless it's just a sweetheart deal.

I love Brooks Laich. Laich was 28 when he signed six years for 4.5per. Looked great until it didn't.

That's an unfair comparison. Laich was decent at maybe 24, 25 and for a lack of talent has only gotten worse ever since. There never was any sort of development in his game.

Hanzal is completely different. He improved every season and even after injurues he seemed to come back stronger.
Hanzal also brings a lot more than Laich. Hanzal could be a 2nd Doan. Doan is slow and at times looks really terrible. When used correctly he's still quite a force though. Certain things like you never lose. Talking about intensity/passion, clutch play or instincts. Hanzal is a great playmaker and reads the game well with or without the puck even though he might not have Strome's talent. He'll also, like Doan, continue to hit people as long as his body allows him to.

Would be a huge mistake not to try everything to make Hanzal stay.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012

Smitty?

I don't think lack of veteran leadership is the focal point of the Oilers woes. The goal when building any team should be to put together a group that can win the Cup. Does not mean the best players necessarily (see "Miracle"). Sometimes it works (1980 Olympics), sometimes it does not (2016 USA WC). I would not keep any player solely for their leadership, unless you believe that leadership will help create wins that otherwise would have been losses.

Also, teams with very young "official" leaders have won the Cup recently (2009 Penguins, 2010 Hawks)

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Haven't seen this posted yet, but Strome giving us a glimpse of his creativity :naughty:

SSqQoB7.jpg

Nice move, but when he crosses the blue line and turns sharply right, the opposing player makes a weak attempt at swiping the puck. In a real game, Strome might instead be laid out on his backside.

RABBIT

Years of my life w you f*cks only to get relocated
Nice move, but when he crosses the blue line and turns sharply right, the opposing player makes a weak attempt at swiping the puck. In a real game, Strome might instead be laid out on his backside.

Well yeah. I don't think he'd be that dumb in a regular season game, I think he kind of knew it was a clinic setting. Just nice to see that creativity, and especially that shot to finish it off.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Well yeah. I don't think he'd be that dumb in a regular season game, I think he kind of knew it was a clinic setting. Just nice to see that creativity, and especially that shot to finish it off.

I'm with you...just playing devils advocate :devdance:

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Strome might take a few games to get comfortable but he will pick it up soon enough and put it all together. Stamkos started pretty slow but was a hot shot by the end of his rookie season.

If Strome can hit 40 pts. his rookie year I would call that a success. Same for Dvorak.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Hanzal, despite injuries, only keeps getting better...don't you think so? He also plays pretty hard for somebody made of glass. Probably always amongst top3 forwards in hits per game.
I can absolutely see him play at 34 or even older. Can also be an advantage for him that he didn't always play 82 games per season.

I also agree with others that you need veterans in your lineup. Why wouldn't you wanna keep Hanzal? If he wants to stay I'm pretty sure they'll find a solution.

I read a column where they had stats and said forwards, or maybe it was hockey players in general, usually hit their peak at age 28 and when they hit 30 and above the drop off can be quick. Of course there are exceptions, but with Hanzal and his injuries, I don't know what to think. I love Hanzal, but maybe it would be time to trade high and bring in McInnis who would be another year older.

Lawson of Anarchy

I'm kind of embarrassed
Oct 9, 2016
London
Concerning Crouse and Fischer. These guys looked great to me in pre-season. I was surprised to see Fischer go to Tuscon so early. That said - he didn't go to Windsor.

He went to Tuscon to play against men and develop as a power forward. Playing against 16 year old boys is not the right spot for him to develop.

These two guys are big power forwards. Crouse has said that is his game and that is what he is going to continue to play. Sending him back to the O may not be the best thing for his development. If he was older he would be in Tuscon.

I'm interested to see the first 9 games and hope these 5 rookies stick.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
I read a column where they had stats and said forwards, or maybe it was hockey players in general, usually hit their peak at age 28 and when they hit 30 and above the drop off can be quick. Of course there are exceptions, but with Hanzal and his injuries, I don't know what to think. I love Hanzal, but maybe it would be time to trade high and bring in McInnis who would be another year older.

Was it this one? http://nerdhockey.com/by-the-numbers/2015/8/7/when-do-nhl-forwards-regress

Conclusion "Prime seems to be more from the ages of 23-26."

Then he states the obvious " If you're very young and in the NHL, it's probably because you are very, very good. If you're very old and in the NHL, it's probably because you are still very, very good."

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
That's an unfair comparison. Laich was decent at maybe 24, 25 and for a lack of talent has only gotten worse ever since. There never was any sort of development in his game.

Hanzal is completely different. He improved every season and even after injurues he seemed to come back stronger.
Hanzal also brings a lot more than Laich. Hanzal could be a 2nd Doan. Doan is slow and at times looks really terrible. When used correctly he's still quite a force though. Certain things like you never lose. Talking about intensity/passion, clutch play or instincts. Hanzal is a great playmaker and reads the game well with or without the puck even though he might not have Strome's talent. He'll also, like Doan, continue to hit people as long as his body allows him to.

Would be a huge mistake not to try everything to make Hanzal stay.

The sam Laich whose point totals in his prime years haven't been matched by Hanzal? I'm sure if you adjust the numbers for games played (which will be your argument, I'm sure), that you won't find this huge discrepancy in talent during these 25-27 years.

Love Hanzal. Would overpay on a short term deal. No interest in a long term deal for him. And if he doesn't sign, trade him.

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
OEL captain, Domi and Martinook alternate captains. That's my thinking.

I think Goligoski would get the A over Martinook, or maybe Richardson.

Love Hanzal. Would overpay on a short term deal. No interest in a long term deal for him. And if he doesn't sign, trade him.

Exactly what I think too. It would be great to have him for 2-3 years as a veteran presence at C. But if he wants to sign a big, final contract of his career. He can go. And I'd wish him luck in getting all the money he can from another team.

At the deadline a Hanzal+Stone for Shatty and a conditional pick could be a nice trade. If he doesn't resign they give us a 1st or 2nd. If he does no pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad