Speculation: 2016 Coyotes Off-Season Roster Discussion - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
I have no problem with bringing in Vrbata for a year. I'd have been in favor of bringing on a PK'r like rt suggested but Radim isn't a slouch in his end. We needed a RHS, badly. I wasn't as crazy about bringing him when Vermette was on the roster because there was little room for youth. Vermette is gone but we still manage to keep vet presence.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
What was that thing about bringing back all the old guys they were talking about when a certain GM was fired?

Bring in the blue text~!

The blue text writes itself sometimes, doesn't it?

I'm okay with bringing back Vrbata. We badly need depth up front. Even shell-of-former-self depth.
Same reason I wouldn't have bought out Vermette. Even if you thought the "real Vermette" was the fourth liner we saw at the beginning of last season and not the decent center we saw at the end of the season and he rest of his time here, saving 600k sounds like a dumb reason to buy him out.

Still, if you publically whack a scapegoat with all those stories, and then follow it up with big budget cuts and the same behaviour, it's pretty ironic.

Certain posters have been firmly against resigning Vrbata just like being against trading Hanzal and Vermette. Now that it's done, I expect a post hoc rationalization on why we needed this signing and how it makes us better and shows managements commitment to winning/playoffs. ;)

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Rationally I understand the Vrbata signing. I'm just tired of bringing in players we've moved on from.

Vrbata fits with Hanzal. Established chemistry.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Rationally I understand the Vrbata signing. I'm just tired of bringing in players we've moved on from.

Also domi plays an awful lot like Whitney at times.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

If true, this signing makes me want to puke. I'm so sick and tired of bringing back over the hill vets. Sure Vrbata has chemistry with Hanzal, but so does Duclair. In my opinion it is a stupid move. I know we are weak on the right side, but we are not a Vrbata away from winning the cup. I guess this means we have a 35 year old Vrbata as our 1RW.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
This is simply a (sad for me) recognition that the forwards are still at least a year away.

strizzy16

Welcome to Life, 2.0
Mar 6, 2012
somewhere south
If true, this signing makes me want to puke. I'm so sick and tired of bringing back over the hill vets. Sure Vrbata has chemistry with Hanzal, but so does Duclair. In my opinion it is a stupid move. I know we are weak on the right side, but we are not a Vrbata away from winning the cup. I guess this means we have a 35 year old Vrbata as our 1RW.

agree about bringing in vets that are over the hill, but disagree that this is a stupid move. even if vrbata isn't absolutely incredible this year, it's a low risk 1 yr contract and he is really just a stopgap.i mean we clearly needed help at RW so i think this move was more out of roster desperation and not necessarily out of analytics or anything like that, which i'd prefer from chayka. so even tho vrbata may be over the hill we still need to squeeze some veteran production out of him and we certainly need the RW depth. also let's not forget the production that we got out of Whitney at, what, age 38-39 range ? vrbata had a spike in production the last time he returned to PHX

This is simply a (sad for me) recognition that the forwards are still at least a year away.

Yes, exactly. with our projected roster i think it's safe to expect some exciting and sometimes eye opening play out of the kids as they get their chance, but it's still a year until we expect to be actual playoff contenders.

Also maybe bringing vrbata back will be good for some more-casual coyotes fans with the name recognition there and the memories of some winning teams? could help put more butts in the seats? idk, i could be wrong there. yandle / maybe even vermette were probably more of what you could call "fan favorites"

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
Not a big fan of this signing either (if it happens), but there wasn't much else out there without giving up prospects we don't want to part with.

In terms of lines, I hope there is something else happening, but this would be fine to start:
Domi - [NEW] - Duclair
McGinn - Hanzal - Vrbata
Rieder - Strome - Doan
Martinook - Richardson - White​

It pushes Dvorak out this season, but he could be the first call-up. Although Strome starts out on the 3rd, that would be fine by me; he could then earn a higher role. I also think this is more of a "Tippett-Friendly" roster with only one rookie playing regularly.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
If it's 1yr, 1mil than fine. Why not? I'd prefer a nastier SOB and/or a PKer. But maybe they don't want to love any assets. Which is fine. It's a throw-away year. I want to be competitive longer for the confidence and experience building of the younger players on the roster, but I don't expect the playoffs or anything. Also, I like that we're pushing younger guys who don't need to be here yet to lower leagues where they can continue to develop and improve.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

That's what I was thinking, but still I would have waited until training camp concluded, and if someone else picked up Vrbata so be it. So that takes Duclair off the Hanzal Domi line unless they want Strome with Domi and Duclair. I don't hate Vrbata as a player, I hate his age, but mostly I hate that we keep on bringing back players that played here before. This s--- never works out.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
If it's 1yr, 1mil than fine. Why not? I'd prefer a nastier SOB and/or a PKer. But maybe they don't want to love any assets. Which is fine. It's a throw-away year. I want to be competitive longer for the confidence and experience building of the younger players on the roster, but I don't expect the playoffs or anything. Also, I like that we're pushing younger guys who don't need to be here yet to lower leagues where they can continue to develop and improve.

If he signs for 1mil, then fine, but I think you are going to cry when you see it will be double that. I sure hope your right.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Not a big fan of this signing either (if it happens), but there wasn't much else out there without giving up prospects we don't want to part with.

In terms of lines, I hope there is something else happening, but this would be fine to start:
Domi - [NEW] - Duclair
McGinn - Hanzal - Vrbata
Rieder - Strome - Doan

It pushes Dvorak out this season, but he could be the first call-up. Although Strome starts out on the 3rd, that would be fine by me; he could then earn a higher role. I also think this is more of a "Tippett-Friendly" roster with only one rookie playing regularly.

And where are we going to get a 1C? If by miracle we find one, how many of Strome, Domi, Duclair or Dvorak are you willing to lose?
I think this signing means nothing as far as Strome and Dvorak are concerned.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ

Domi - [NEW] - Duclair
McGinn - Hanzal - Vrbata
Rieder - Strome - Doan

how are we getting a 1C?

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I prefer Hanzal between the Killer Deez. I prefer Vrbata with Strome.

Domi-Hanzal-Duclair
McGinn-Strome-Vrbata
Rieder-Richardson-Doan
Martinook-Gaudet-White

...Still want to pick up Torrey Mitchell.

Domi-Hanzal-Duclair
McGinn-Strome-Vrbata
Rieder-Richardson-Doan
Martinook-Mitchell-White

Or

Domi-Hanzal-Duclair
McGinn-Strome-Vrbata
Rieder-Richardson-Doan
Martinook-Mitchell-Samuelsson
White

Last edited:

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I wonder if Vrbata will play second line, allowing Domi and Duclair to pair with Hanzal. Verby would make a great on ice tutor for either Strome or Dvorak. Every time I write "Dvorak" I think New World Symphony.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I like Vrbata with Strome. Vrby's slowing speed, and his ability to change gears, fits well with Strome's slower stride.

Signing Vrbata makes me feel better about losing Vermette's leadership. We've filled that void. I still think we're screwed when Hanzal goes down and we have no legitimate enter depth.

In my mind, for a complete off-season, we still need to address:

- Fix the center issue, whether that's moving Hanzal in a deal involving a C, or add another C all together.

- We have too many defensemen and not enough top-4 D. Get that RD partner for OEL.

- I had a concern about top-six RW depth, but Vrbata addresses that need. At the least, he and Doan can swap between the 2nd and 3rd lines.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I see it as:

Domi - Hanzal - Duclair
McGinn - Strome - Vrbata
Rieder - Dvorak - Doan
Nook - Richardson - White

Muppet

7th Round Pick
Mar 13, 2011
I see it as:

Domi - Hanzal - Duclair
McGinn - Strome - Vrbata
Rieder - Dvorak - Doan
I'd be pretty happy with that tbh. At least until the inevitable happens with Tippett throwing names into a hat and rolling with whatever comes out.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
For the record, I don't really mind as well. Just noting past statements for the record ;)

Philosophical differences. We wanted to spend more money... only, he wouldnt, see... yeah, yeah, that's the ticket

LuckyNumber11

Jun 10, 2015
Valley of the Sun
I see it as:

Domi - Hanzal - Duclair
McGinn - Strome - Vrbata
Rieder - Dvorak - Doan

I'm actually really happy with how these lines look. Vbata gives our prospect RWs (none of which I think are 100% NHL ready) more time to develop. Puts another good bet next to Strome. Brings back a player who I always enjoyed hoping for another Renaissance to occur here.

This puts us closer to playoff contention IMO.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
how are we getting a 1C?

I did say "Hope" we aren't finished. If we could acquire a legitimate 1C, I'd be willing to give up a fair amount. I wouldn't be willing to part with Domi or Strome, but would be fine with a package of some sort involving Dvorak or Duclair.

Again, I'd like to keep all of the above, but if we can improve significantly, sacrifices can be made (even though this season may not be the ideal time). Of course, whoever we acquire would need to have decent term (3-4 years), youngish, and a 51+point scorer per season. It probably ain't out there, but I can dream...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad