Not open for further replies.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I see it as:

Domi - Hanzal - Duclair
McGinn - Strome - Vrbata
Rieder - Dvorak - Doan
Nook - Richardson - White

That would be about the best we can hope for this year, unless someone pulls a Martinook.

I'd be pretty happy with that tbh. At least until the inevitable happens with Tippett throwing names into a hat and rolling with whatever comes out.

Changing lines is fine.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I think McGinn and Vrbata make very good linemates for Strome. Neither rely on speed or possession to be effective. McGinn creates net-front havoc and collects garbage goals. Which buys Strome and Vrbata time and space. He's also able to stick up for them physically. Strome has the possession, vision, and passing ability (plus a laser wrister to keep D honest and not always play the pass) and this should allow Vrbata to hang back in the quiet areas and wait to get his shot off. Which is Vrbata at his best. Third man high. Which it's nice when your third man high is also the most defensively responsible on the line. Vrbatas skill set isn't one that deteriorates with age, either. He's got positional awareness, sense of timing, and a high end shot.

Last edited:

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
I think McGinn and Vrbata make very good linemates for Strome. Neither rely on speed or possession to be effective. McGinn creates net-front havoc and collects garbage goals. Which buys Strome and Vrbata time and space. He's also able to stick up for them physically. Strome had the possession, vision, and passing ability (plus a laser writer to keep D honest and not always play the pass) and this should allow Vrbata to hang back in the quiet areas and wait to get his shot off. Which is Vrbata at his best. Also it's a skill set that doesn't deteriorate with age. He's got positional awareness, sense of timing, and a high end shot.

Yeah I agree that those 3 would make a good line, and Domi and Duclair are best when together. But looking at last year, and knowing Tip, we aren't going to see D and D together every night, which was annoying. And with Hanzal and Vrbata's past chemistry I'm sure Tip will put them together more than we'll like.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I think McGinn and Vrbata make very good linemates for Strome. Neither rely on speed or possession to be effective. McGinn creates net-front havoc and collects garbage goals. Which buys Strome and Vrbata time and space. He's also able to stick up for them physically. Strome has the possession, vision, and passing ability (plus a laser wrister to keep D honest and not always play the pass) and this should allow Vrbata to hang back in the quiet areas and wait to get his shot off. Which is Vrbata at his best. Third man high. Which it's nice when your third man high is also the most defensively responsible on the line. Vrbatas skill set isn't one that deteriorates with age, either. He's got positional awareness, sense of timing, and a high end shot.

This.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Yeah I agree that those 3 would make a good line, and Domi and Duclair are best when together. But looking at last year, and knowing Tip, we aren't going to see D and D together every night, which was annoying. And with Hanzal and Vrbata's past chemistry I'm sure Tip will put them together more than we'll like.

It may have been annoying for us as fans but was a necessity for the team. Many times the coaches change the lines because of the way the other teams our playing us, and to get better match ups. It happens on every team.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
Actually, I think it might be better to only have Domi and Duclair on a PP line together since it will prevent teams from properly adjusting to counter them. Tipp could also put them together 5-on-5 as an adjustment when we are down towards the end of a game.

Even with Vrbata, we still need 1-2 forwards (and to re-sign or move Rieder). Currently, I'm thinking Rieder will end up as a 3rd liner, so hopefully we pay him accordingly.

Of course, I wouldn't mind seeing a Martinook - Dvorak - Vrbata line every once in a while since Martinook does have some yet-untapped speed and scoring ability that might mesh well with Vrbata.

Mosby

<3 Uncle Gary
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Very curious to see the dollars here, assuming this was true. Betting a bargain big-time. The reports are that Vrby had 4 suitors and if he wasn't signed by mid-August, he was perfectly fine playing in the Czech league. He and his wife needed to figure out where their kids are going to go to school.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Saw on Twitter that the Coyotes had two scouts at a KHL preseason game yesterday. Random. Game report below. The only name that stood out to me was Rob Klinkhammer.

http://hcdinamo.by/news/matchi/dinamo-riga-dinamo-minsk-nabiraem-khod/

Considering we had that Demchenko kid at rookie camp, seems to me like the Coyotes are thinking of trying to get some deals in the KHL - good analytics players for less than NHL UFA cost, perhaps.

I wonder if they're looking at Nick Bailen.

BlazingBlueAnt

Jul 12, 2014
We we looking at something like this?

Domi - Hanzal - Vrbata
Mcginn - Strome - Duclair
Reider - Dvorak - Doan
Martinook - Richardson - White

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Coyotes Bandwagon
Rob Klinkhammer
giphy.gif

strizzy16

Welcome to Life, 2.0
Mar 6, 2012
somewhere south
We we looking at something like this?

Domi - Hanzal - Vrbata
Mcginn - Strome - Duclair
Reider - Dvorak - Doan
Martinook - Richardson - White

I mean, that lineup looks pretty ok. especially when looking at a potential offensive depth chart at the end of last season...

tanguay-vermette-duclair
domi-hanzal-doan
reider-richardson-sekac
martinook-gordon-chipchura
tikhonov

addition by subtraction when knocking tanguay, vermette, gordon off that lineup, simply getting younger. there was a cleaning of the trash too-- chipchura gone along with tikhonov and sekac who were pure stopgaps. we throw in some skill with dvorak and strome and we gain a little bit of scoring and PP skill with vrbata. mcginn is toughness with a slight scoring touch, upgrade. there are going to be injuries so we will see dauphin and gaudet, the latter of which i really like his upside. i still see us as 9th in the west, if goaltending improves this year, i think we have a few more points than last year, but there are so many good teams in the west.

Mosby

<3 Uncle Gary
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Safe to say that with Vrby here now that Marty Hanzal won't be traded (at least not before the deadline).

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Coyotes Bandwagon
Safe to say that with Vrby here now that Marty Hanzal won't be traded (at least not before the deadline).
This was the best course of action all along. Compete for the playoffs to the best of our ability, evaluate our situation in late-January and make a decision then.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Love the infusion of young talent. The proposed lineups are awfully dependent on rookies and 2ND year players though with very little depth.

While I am a big Dvorak fan and hopeful Strome is an impact player in his rookie season we know Hanzal will miss time due to injury. Can we really expect 3 rookies at centre to be successful?

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA

We could package them together :P

Hanzal & Vrbata
for...
??

I guess it depends on how they do this season

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
Love the infusion of young talent. The proposed lineups are awfully dependent on rookies and 2ND year players though with very little depth.

While I am a big Dvorak fan and hopeful Strome is an impact player in his rookie season we know Hanzal will miss time due to injury. Can we really expect 3 rookies at centre to be successful?

Perhaps move Richardson up a line, move White over to center, and call up Hank?

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville

We need to pick up another vet forward. A center, or at the very least a winger who can slot in at center if need be. Preferably a RHS who can PK. Torrey Mitchell and Eric Fehr fit the bill. The former would be cheaper in dollars and assets, the latter would be a better candidate for playing up a line or two in a pinch.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
We need to pick up another vet forward. A center, or at the very least a winger who can slot in at center if need be. Preferably a RHS who can PK. Torrey Mitchell and Eric Fehr fit the bill. The former would be cheaper in dollars and assets, the latter would be a better candidate for playing up a line or two in a pinch.

Totally agree.

Not a RHS but another name I would add is Burmistrov. Doubtful (hopeful?) that he cracks the Jets lineup this season. He can slot in on either wing or centre on 2nd or 3rd line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->