Speculation: 2016 Coyotes Off-Season Roster Discussion - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Nope. I do however believe by end of season Dvorak will have pushed Hanzel out of the slot centring Duclair and Domi.

If he's on that track, then it's easier to trade Hanzal. I'd still try to extend him.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
42% rookies up front. What could go wrong?

Hey you said you wanted to play rookies, now you complain. It's not as if there's some sort of middle ground where you play rookies when they're ready but also don't throw them into huge roles right away, and provide veteran support. Rebuild rebuild oilers.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
^ good thing our coach has a stellar reputation for devloping scoring forwards!

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
It's not time to trade Hanzal. As much as I want to see a bunch of rookies this year, I only want to see 2 rookie centers. We need Hanzal to take the defensive pressure off of Dvorak and Strome. We need Hanzal to play most of the time against the #1 centers in the league.

I agree. Dvorak and Strome haven't even made the team and we are talking about trading Hanzal.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I think they try Dvorak with Duclair and Domi in training camp. Established chemistry with Domi (Domi didn't mesh with Marner) and Dvorak's cerebral 200 foot game is similar to Sam Reinheart who was the C doing a lot of the dirty work for Domi and Duclair at worlds juniors. It's too tempting not to try.

Strome will be started with Doan although I'm of the opinion that the Martinook, Doan, Richardson line should remain intact. Reider Strome McGinn looks good.

Honestly the odd man out might be Hanzel.

I'd still like to trade him. I hate both ideas of: re-sign him long-term (given his injury history), or enter the season with him unsigned. Too much risk either way.

I think you guys are putting the cart ahead of the horse. This year I believe Hanzal is needed, badly.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I agree. Dvorak and Strome haven't even made the team and we are talking about trading Hanzal.

I think most of us are just connecting dots given trade rumours and likelihood of a declining role in organization coupled with lack of progress on any sort of extension.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Could it be their options for an arena are so bleak that they're waiting until after the elections to see if the COG council becomes more favorable?

No. These things take time. I would think we should hear something in the near future.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I think most of us are just connecting dots given trade rumours and likelihood of a declining role in organization coupled with lack of progress on any sort of extension.

Maybe. Hanzal is not untouchable, but I think very close to it as it stands today. With the buyout of Vermette, I don't see the Coyotes being in any hurry to trade Hanzal.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
I'd let Hanzal play out his contract then only trade him at the deadline if we are in the basement again. If he's a FA we don't have to protect him. If we're going to give him an extension, do it after the expansion draft.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
No. These things take time. I would think we should hear something in the near future.

I still think the likelihood of them getting any public money is extremely low. If they aren't going to take the Indian money, I can't see it happening. These owners aren't willing to put their own money into this thing. They want to pay off the debt with profit or selling off small pieces to investors for way more than they paid. No way they have the funds for a new stadium.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
One per line except the line that will get the least minutes and that line will only have one if Rieder signs. That's not outrageous.

67% of forwards in either their 1st or 2nd NHL season is absolutely outrageous and not even the Edmonton Oilers have ever been crazy or stupid enough to trot something like that out onto NHL ice.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I'd let Hanzal play out his contract then only trade him at the deadline if we are in the basement again. If he's a FA we don't have to protect him. If we're going to give him an extension, do it after the expansion draft.

I'm definitely for trading Hanzal at the deadline. I don't really want to re-sign him and I don't think we can trade him any sooner.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
I'm definitely for trading Hanzal at the deadline. I don't really want to re-sign him and I don't think we can trade him any sooner.

If the right deal came along before the season to move Hanzal, I would be fine with it. By "right deal," I mean a package that would bring in at least a 2nd line Center (preferably at least 24 years old) AND a 2nd line Winger.

Of course, I don't think that deal is out there, so we are kind of stuck with him (which is not a bad thing except that we now have less depth when he is inevitably injured). Perhaps youngsters can fill in, but we still need a few more forwards (1 before camp and 1 after--if camp doesn't prove fruitful).

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
What was that thing about bringing back all the old guys they were talking about when a certain GM was fired?

Bring in the blue text~!

AZviaNJ

Setbacks, no Defeats
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Looks like Vrby's back

Domi-Hanzal-Duclair
McGinn-Strome-Vrbata
Rieder-Dvorak-Doan
Martinook-Richardson-White

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
Looks like Vrby's back

Domi-Hanzal-Duclair
McGinn-Strome-Vrbata
Rieder-Dvorak-Doan
Martinook-Richardson-White

Wouldn't mind seeing Vrby with Domi and Hanzal either. Maybe Domi can be his Whitney.

Either way, stoked if this is true. Vrbata is one of my favorite Coyotes. He always seems to play his best here.

AZviaNJ

Setbacks, no Defeats
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Wouldn't mind seeing Vrby with Domi and Hanzal either. Maybe Domi can be his Whitney.

Either way, stoked if this is true. Vrbata is one of my favorite Coyotes. He always seems to play his best here.
agreed, but can't see Duke playing with Strome or Dvo.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Great. Softest team in the league gets softer. Well, I was liking the off season for a little while anyway. We should get a Moss/Tipchura quality signing next.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
67% of forwards in either their 1st or 2nd NHL season is absolutely outrageous and not even the Edmonton Oilers have ever been crazy or stupid enough to trot something like that out onto NHL ice.

I'm not in favor of putting so many eggs in the freshman/sophomore basket, but the Oilers problem was never their overreliance on young players. It's been an overreliance on ****** players who don't play defense, namely outside the top six.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->