Speculation: 2016 Coyotes Off-Season Roster Discussion - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
Quote from Mosby in Part 3:
"Morgan's latest piece speculates that the 2/3RW spot could be Christian Fischer's for the taking.

I could see it. I wouldn't bet on it, but I could see it. Spot is open and he's ready from a physical standpoint. If Windsor wasn't playing for the Mem Cup this year, would there even be any discussion about sending him back to the O? Or would he be playing pro in Tucson?

Domi - Hanzal - Duclair
Rieder - Strome - Doan
McGinn - Vermette - Fischer
Nook - Richardson - White

Not bad. Possibly rotate Doan and Fischer."

I like this a lot but with a little different mix possibly...just for some more balance.

Domi - Hanzal - Martinook (1A)
McGinn - Strome - Duclair (1B)
Rieder - Richardson - Doan
White - Vermette - Fischer

Two things: I think Martinook is one of Tip's new favorite guys, and I think he has more offensive upside than people think if you put him with some guys like Domi and Hanzal that have a nice combo of size, speed and skill. The second is, and I've said it before, as much as I love what Domi and Duke do together I really think Strome needs a sniper to play with to maximize what he can do..right now we don't have one other than Duke. I think something similar to those combos gives us a way better mix. Some people will sneer but I honestly think Martinook could turn into a 20 goal guy playing with some talent and with continued improvement in his game, which I think we'll see because he's such a hard worker.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Garland Working to Reach NHL
http://coyotes.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=888874
“I know (Coyotes Director of Player Development) Steve Sullivan watched a lot of video for me and I could make steps that way with another person watching my game,” Garland said.

Garland (5-foot-8, 163 pounds) plays a similar style to what Sullivan played in the NHL, and like Sullivan did before him, Garland is also aiming to go from junior hockey to the NHL.

“Having someone who made the jump from junior to the NHL - and he had a very successful career – helps me to see what I need to work on,” Garland said. “Obviously, it was my two-way game and I think when I had games where I wasn’t as good as I should be I was able to get clips of what I needed to work on (from Sullivan) and watch video and get better as the year goes on.”

But despite wanting to make the Coyotes roster now, Garland says he’s not going to rush his development.

“Wherever I end up is going to be the right situation for me and that’s going to be my first year of pro, so it’s just going to be a learning year,” Garland said. “I’m just going to try to get better everyday. It’s a long process to play in the National (Hockey) League, which is every guy’s dream here. So, you just have to take it one day at a time.”

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
I like this a lot but with a little different mix possibly...just for some more balance.

Domi - Hanzal - Martinook (1A)
McGinn - Strome - Duclair (1B)
Rieder - Richardson - Doan
White - Vermette - Fischer

Two things: I think Martinook is one of Tip's new favorite guys, and I think he has more offensive upside than people think if you put him with some guys like Domi and Hanzal that have a nice combo of size, speed and skill.

I agree with you on Martinook. I don't see him on the 1st, but think he could do well on the second.

Domi - Hanzal - Duclair
Martinook - Strome - McGinn (I believe he has played on the right)
Rieder - Vermette - Doan
Dauphin - Richardson - White (I don't see Fischer on the roster yet--except possibly as a call-up).

Now if we end up moving Rieder (although I doubt that will happen), I kind of like a Doan - Richardson - Fischer (Doan has played LW before on a limited basis) 3rd line

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
I agree with you on Martinook. I don't see him on the 1st, but think he could do well on the second.

Domi - Hanzal - Duclair
Rieder - Vermette - Doan
Dauphin - Richardson - White (I don't see Fischer on the roster yet--except possibly as a call-up).

Now if we end up moving Rieder (although I doubt that will happen), I kind of like a Doan - Richardson - Fischer (Doan has played LW before on a limited basis) 3rd line

Yeah that's not bad either... I just really want to see what Strome can do with a proper, opportunistic trigger man haha.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
If the plan is to ease Fischer in this year, I'd like to see someone like Versteeg or Vrbata signed on a one year deal to be flipped at the deadline. I think Versteeg is the better choice, but also probably has multi-year offers already.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

Domi - Hanzal - Duclair
Rieder - Vermette - Doan

Rieder isn't going anywhere.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
If the plan is to ease Fischer in this year, I'd like to see someone like Versteeg or Vrbata signed on a one year deal to be flipped at the deadline. I think Versteeg is the better choice, but also probably has multi-year offers already.

IF Fischer is eased in as you say, we don't need to sign another vet.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
No doubt Martinook has some untapped potential, but I'd rather keep the skill guys together. For years we tried to find hidden talent in grinders (Hello, Tim Kennedy). We now actually have enough skill players where we can put multiple on one line.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
No doubt Martinook has some untapped potential, but I'd rather keep the skill guys together. For years we tried to find hidden talent in grinders (Hello, Tim Kennedy). We now actually have enough skill players where we can put multiple on one line.

Agree. Would be nice to go to the arena and see multiple skilled lines that put you on the edge of your seat.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
What is this Chris Fischer talk???

We get 7 years of pro hockey with a player until we can no longer afford that player. Samuelsson, Perlini, Dvorak, MacInnis, Garland and Gaudet will play pro hockey with the Coyotes or Roadrunners this season. Dylan Strome may well jump the line and play pro hockey as well.

Unless Fischer is SO much better than every one of those guys that there's no excuse to send him down, Fischer needs to be in Windsor, playing with Keller, Brown, Sergachev and Stanley in the Memorial Cup ... needs to play in the top 6 for the USA at the WJC. Dylan Strome has dominated the CHL for two seasons: he has nothing left to prove at that level. Fischer has done it once, without the WJC. Overcook prospects, dangit ...

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona

Can we though? What I would consider skill players are Domi, Duclair, Strome and that's it....they definitely can't go on one line in my opinion. Splitting them up onto two lines makes more sense. I guess they could keep Domi-Hanzal-Duclair because it is really hard to ignore the chemistry Domi and Duke have, and then maybe go with Martinook-Strome-McGinn or something. I get the feeling that Martinook has more upside than Rieder at this point...I think Rieder is a perfect third line player. Who knows at this point, it will all get sorted out through training camp and preseason.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
Rieder isn't going anywhere.

I did say "I doubt it will happen." I'd even go further and say that I highly doubt it will happen.

Of course, then I consider what we might be able to get in return for a Rieder/Stone package and think we could potentially land a 2nd line scorer from a team that needs a defensive forward (Rieder) due to an overabundance of offensive-forwards and an offensively-inclined RHD (Stone). Do I think it's a lot to give up? yes. Would I be willing to do it? I'm not sure (depends on the return).

It would put us in worse straits on our defensive right, but we could add a defensive D-man. I still like Gryba on a three-year deal while our young D-men develop. He is more of a 3rd pairing guy, but with OEL/Goligoski/Murphy/Connauton/Dahlbeck/Z/DeAngelo rounding out our defense, it might be worth it (since Connauton, Z, DeAngelo and Gryba can play on the Right).

Domi - Hanzal - Duclair
McGinn - Strome - ?? (new acquisition)
Dvorak - Vermette - Doan (or Martinook - Vermette - Doan if we keep Dvo in the A)
Martinook - Richardson - White (add Dauphin or camp standout in Martinook's place if we move him up to the 3rd.

OEL - Murphy
Goligoski - Gryba
Connauton - Z | Dahlbeck - DeAngelo | Dahlbeck - Connauton

I'm pretty certain we won't move either Stone or Rieder, but it would address some of our gaps going into the season.

Last edited:

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
What is this Chris Fischer talk???

We get 7 years of pro hockey with a player until we can no longer afford that player. Samuelsson, Perlini, Dvorak, MacInnis, Garland and Gaudet will play pro hockey with the Coyotes or Roadrunners this season. Dylan Strome may well jump the line and play pro hockey as well.

Unless Fischer is SO much better than every one of those guys that there's no excuse to send him down, Fischer needs to be in Windsor, playing with Keller, Brown, Sergachev and Stanley in the Memorial Cup ... needs to play in the top 6 for the USA at the WJC. Dylan Strome has dominated the CHL for two seasons: he has nothing left to prove at that level. Fischer has done it once, without the WJC. Overcook prospects, dangit ...

That is all it is, at this point anyway. All these kids are doing at the moment is stick handling, skating drills etc. so the coaches have an idea where they are in their development.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Is our skating instructor at this camp? I would think that has to be one of the most important aspect going forward for these prospects. I don't see much value in skating around pylons, stick handling around obstacles etc. as these kids have been doing that since babies. Why aren't the coaches more involved in these drills.

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
Stone is worth more than Klein. Nash hasn't been worth that sort of return for about five years now.

I respectfully disagree...in fact I think they'd probably ask for more haha. Nash > Rieder, Stone is marginally > Klein. Klein has always been under valued. Nash playing with Strome and Martinook would have a great chance of netting 30 G's.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Rieder + Stone + McInnis for Nash + Klein? I'd take it :naughty:

I think you stand alone on this one man. I'm fine adding Nash, but not at that price, and Klein isn't the + wed want to see for a deal that sees 3 talented, young players sent away for a lukewarm, salary riddled body.

Nash for McInnis + pick is fine, beyond that they need to start adding.

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
I think you stand alone on this one man. I'm fine adding Nash, but not at that price, and Klein isn't the + wed want to see for a deal that sees 3 talented, young players sent away for a lukewarm, salary riddled body.

Nash for McInnis + pick is fine, beyond that they need to start adding.

Yeeeeah I guess you're probably right...but if Rieder is going to be stingy with his contract when he's getting top 6 minutes and can't break 35 points I don't think he's necessary. Being fast and hard working and good defensively is great, but if you're going to play in the top 6 you better be able to at least crack 40 points. Still think everyone underrates the hell out of Nash though...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad