Domi - Hanzal - Duclair
McGinn - Strome - ??
Reider - Dvorak - Doan
Martinook - Richardson - Whyte
13th forward Samuellson? Dauphin?

OEL - Murphy
Goligoski - Schenn
Connaugton - Michalek/DeAngelo

Three weeks ago they said Stone's rehab was on track or ahead of schedule, but they wouldn't put a date on it. Has anything been stated since then? He might miss a few early games, or see limited usage to start, but I don't think there's any reason to leave him off the opening night roster, unless something's changed.

“I’m pushing to be ready to go for the start of the season,” he said. “Whether that happens or not, I guess in some way it’s in my control. But you have to see how everything responds. It’s something where your legs are what you’re using 100 percent of the time on the ice. You gotta be ready to go, so we’ll see what happens with that.”

http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/nhl/coyotes/2016/07/29/arizona-coyotes-michael-stone-continues-improve-after-knee-surgery/87752596/

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Find me a single example of a prospect hurt by overdevelopment.

Would you like six dozen examples off the top and my head of prospects ruined by teams rushing them?

That question can never be answered because it can't be proven. The reason prospects get ruined is because they were not ready because of various reasons. You can't put prospects in one big group because of age as they all develop at different rates. You have to group them on talent and if they can handle the mental and physical aspect of the game.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
What's a better development path for Fischer next year? OHL or AHL?

If OHL, does your answer chance if the Memorial Cup wasn't part of the mix?

I wonder if the Coyotes believe that shuffling him between AHL/NHL is better than another year in Windsor.

I forgot Fischer is AHL eligible. If he shows good at camp, he could very well be in the AHL. I sure if they had that option with Strome last year he would have been in the AHL.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I think camp will sort things out quite well.

We could move McGinn to RW, and a Perlini, Gaudet, or Dauphin could wind up at LW. Richardson may also move to RW, too. The player that wants it will get it and this gives a lot of opportunity for all to be involved.

Take Perlini as an example. With the LWs we have in place under different management, Perlini is 100% certain to go the AHL b/c other roster moves may not be made. If he plays well enough in camp that he forces his way on to the roster, that necessitates a different player moving to a different position, like the ones mentioned above.

No one talks about it, but the main focus with this team will be that we now have competition for ALL roster spots. I consider that to be a very good thing. That is something that probably also affected Maloney's tenure here. The roster was pretty much known, and we knew who the 13th F was clearly. Having this unknown factor increases the level of play throughout camp and hopefully carries through the season.

Yup. Training camp will answer many questions.:nod:

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
So, right now I see the Coyotes roster as:

Domi - Hanzal - Duclair
McGinn - Strome - ??
Reider - Dvorak - Doan
Martinook - Richardson - Whyte
13th forward Samuellson? Dauphin?

OEL - Murphy
Goligoski - Schenn
Connaugton - Michalek/DeAngelo

My guess...

Domi-Hanzal-Duclair
Rieder-Strome-McGinn
Martinook-Richardson-Doan

...is how Chaypett has the top nine penciled in.

Fourth line probably has one or two of Dvorak, Dauphin, and Gaudet mixed in with White and one or two veterans yet to be added. I could see Chipchura on a very rich two way deal. Like 950kay NHL and 190kay AHL. He splits a bunch of time and only has to do a quick drive to Tucson. I could see Mike Brown in the role, also. Either instead of, or in addition to. Having the affiliate so close should be helpful in convincing guys otherswise averse to two-way contracts to consider them. Promise high end AHL payment and more than fair NHL payment. Imagine they split time in half and end up somewhere in the middle in terms of compensation. I'd like to add one or both of Tommy Wingels and Torrey Mitchell as well. Less likely because they have richer contracts, over a million.

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Remember when they said they were going to increase the budget spent on players?

And then, remember when we all believed them? That was a good one.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Remember when they said they were going to increase the budget spent on players?

And then, remember when we all believed them? That was a good one.

Sure looks like a franchise looking to minimize losses one last year.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
We still need to add 2 forwards to the roster (3 if you include Rieder):

Rieder
Dvorak
??

Of course, if we trade, we may have to fill another position as well

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I forgot Fischer is AHL eligible. If he shows good at camp, he could very well be in the AHL. I sure if they had that option with Strome last year he would have been in the AHL.

If Memorial Cup wasn't in Windsor I think it's AHL. This is the option that all teams desperately want for that 19 year old season. 3 points in 6 games last year in A as well to finish.

I get the OHL domination season but 19 in the A might be too much of what the org actually wants to push development.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
My guess...

Domi-Hanzal-Duclair
Rieder-Strome-McGinn
Martinook-Richardson-Doan

...is how Chaypett has the top nine penciled in.

Fourth line probably has one or two of Dvorak, Dauphin, and Gaudet mixed in with White and one or two veterans...

It makes too much sense to keep the Martinook-Richardson-Doan line together. I expect they try and force chemistry with Doan and Strome.

I like the looks of those top 3 lines IF McGinn can play RW.

Dvorak better not be on the 4th line. Rather see him as the top guy on Tucson.

Think we still need a veteran RHS top 9 forward. Very little depth right now.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I think they try Dvorak with Duclair and Domi in training camp. Established chemistry with Domi (Domi didn't mesh with Marner) and Dvorak's cerebral 200 foot game is similar to Sam Reinheart who was the C doing a lot of the dirty work for Domi and Duclair at worlds juniors. It's too tempting not to try.

Strome will be started with Doan although I'm of the opinion that the Martinook, Doan, Richardson line should remain intact. Reider Strome McGinn looks good.

Honestly the odd man out might be Hanzel.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
It does. Pretty cozy solution for all involved to have the Runners slide into Glendale before too long.

Nonsense. The team is committed to Arizona. "Real fans" wouldn't even bat an eyebrow at the inconsistencies.
We have lots of money to spend. In fact, we just fired a guy for not spending enough. We're "real owners".
The emerging pattern of pushing budget numbers from this year to next year is only so that more capital can be invested in the arena which we're very close to announcing with our unnamed partners at an undisclosed location. It's all super secret.
PS - can't help but notice you haven't renewed your season tickets. We don't need your money, but you should know that you'll be missing the chance to preorder playoff hockey tickets. The "rebuild" (if you can even call it that) is over. Don't miss the chance to send us money, ... I mean see the playoffs again.

They're sort of brilliant actually. They leveraged themselves into half a hockey team for essentially a minimum investment. Doubled their investment. And now they've got an open dance card for the best suitor which could be here, there, or anywhere which could potentially increase their investment by that much more.

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Remember when Leblanc said they expected to have an announcement about a new arena before the Draft? Maybe he meant the 2017 Draft?

I wonder what empty field they drove Goligoski out to?

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Remember when Leblanc said they expected to have an announcement about a new arena before the Draft? Maybe he meant the 2017 Draft?

I wonder what empty field they drove Goligoski out to?

Honestly the fact that gogo signed here and was reassured the team would be here is one of the few reasons I'm not sold on the team moving. The other option of course is they told him where the team would be moving to and he was okay with that, but the idea that they have a specific location locked down already seems unlikely. Unless gogo is just extremely gullible, I haven't lost all hope. It doesn't look good though, that's for sure.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Honestly the odd man out might be Hanzel.

I'd still like to trade him. I hate both ideas of: re-sign him long-term (given his injury history), or enter the season with him unsigned. Too much risk either way.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
It's not time to trade Hanzal. As much as I want to see a bunch of rookies this year, I only want to see 2 rookie centers. We need Hanzal to take the defensive pressure off of Dvorak and Strome. We need Hanzal to play most of the time against the #1 centers in the league.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
It's not time to trade Hanzal. As much as I want to see a bunch of rookies this year, I only want to see 2 rookie centers. We need Hanzal to take the defensive pressure off of Dvorak and Strome. We need Hanzal to play most of the time against the #1 centers in the league.

I agree. We could probably use another veteran c who is good on draws. Doesn't have to be great, just depth on a one year contract. Maybe someone who had a rough year, but ended the season strong, and is fits in the room. If he could play wing, even better because our roster is so thin. If we could do that for around 600k total cost, it would make some sense for this season...

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site

Does that then push Hanzel to a 3rd line role?

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Does that then push Hanzel to a 3rd line role?

Hanzal already plays the match up role. I don't know why that would change. I can't imagine Strome and/or Dvorak getting bigger minutes 5v5 out of the gate, can you?

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Hanzal already plays the match up role. I don't know why that would change. I can't imagine Strome and/or Dvorak getting bigger minutes 5v5 out of the gate, can you?

Nope. I do however believe by end of season Dvorak will have pushed Hanzel out of the slot centring Duclair and Domi.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Could it be their options for an arena are so bleak that they're waiting until after the elections to see if the COG council becomes more favorable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad