Speculation: 2016 Coyotes Off-Season Roster Discussion - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Polakis

Next expansion
Nov 24, 2008
Tempe, AZ
Pre-season is in September.

If they receive an offer sheet from another team, or they still aren't signed 1 September, then we have something to talk about. Until then, it's whatever. It's summer.

OK. For what it's worth, he signed the last 4-year deal more than a week into September of 2012.

Regarding the ownership issue, Doan said, "I don't know how many times we've heard, 'Just in two more weeks it'll be done,'" Doan added. "Hopefully in two weeks it's done." Sounds familiar.

https://www.nhl.com/news/doan-re-signs-with-coyotes-for-four-years/c-641490

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Tyson Barrie filed for arbitration. Situation with the Avs about to get uglier. Time to swoop in for a trade.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Stone and Reider?

I wonder what Barrie wants for salary and term? If Colorado won't sign him to the term and money he wants, it scares me. I would love to have him. Stone is likely not going to be traded for anything of value until he recovers though.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
You have zero ability to say this sort of thing with any sort of confidence. We're not privy to their exact decision making process. Implying that Domingue has class but McGinn doesn't for some completely arbitrary reason is as dumb as it gets.

Here, I'll make this easier for you

Ebb said:
I'm just saying that Domingue and Goligoski seem to look at more than just $

Here's a definition to better clarify: "seem: to appear to one's own senses, judgment, etc."

In other words, I'm just sharing my opinion; I thought that's what discussion boards were for.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I'm just sharing my opinion; I thought that's what discussion boards were for.

Roster moves, player performance, management etc... are all up for grabs and discussion. How much supposed 'class' a player has because you made something up out of thin air really isn't. There's no room for actual discussion there. We can instead get plenty of discussion out of how wrong you've been with some of the things you've posted. It was already pointed out to you that Louie played hardball last summer when it really wasn't called for, so I guess you didn't look into things much before labeling a guy. It all worked out in the end, though. It's ultimately a business. Players will do what they think is in their best interests, the same as organizations do. Stone just filed for arbitration. Want to say that he has no class, or that Dahlbeck somehow has more class?

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Maybe Stone+ for Barrie?

I've always thought that made sense but the Avs insist Barrie isn't available. A one year award means he's UFA at the end, right? Incentive to take a good trade. The Oilers will be kicking it around too. Won't be cheap.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Could see the Oilers putting RNH on the table for Barrie. Which means we'd likely have to counter with Hanzal.

Hanzal+Stone for Barrie (or Barrie+)?

Problem of course though is we still need a center to fill in for Hanzal.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
Roster moves, player performance, management etc... are all up for grabs and discussion. How much supposed 'class' a player has because you made something up out of thin air really isn't. There's no room for actual discussion there. We can instead get plenty of discussion out of how wrong you've been with some of the things you've posted. It was already pointed out to you that Louie played hardball last summer when it really wasn't called for, so I guess you didn't look into things much before labeling a guy. It all worked out in the end, though. It's ultimately a business. Players will do what they think is in their best interests, the same as organizations do. Stone just filed for arbitration. Want to say that he has no class, or that Dahlbeck somehow has more class?

Apparently, discussion may mean something different to you than it does me. I'm not trying to win an argument or change anyone else's opinions with my posts. If you don't like what I say, fell free to not post a reply. I'll be sure to add "in my opinion" more, although I kind of see that as implied in this medium.

On Domingue, I live in the present, not the past, what he did last year (in terms of his contract) is irrelevant to me today. I just think he should have been offered a higher contract this year for pretty much keeping us competitive while Smitty was recovering. Also, if you want to re-visit the past, I think his intention last year was somewhat justified (thus not classless). He wasn't getting his chances here and then they went and signed Lindback, pretty much limiting him to AHL duty. As chance would have it, he got his opportunity and showed that he actually did have the skills that Maloney felt was overconfidence (or as he put it "he’s always been quite confident in himself, and he just thought he deserved more than a two-way contract basically is what it came down to and that’s fine...") I guess Domingue was right :)

I'll somewhat hold off commenting on Stone or Dahlbeck (not a big fan of either), but both situations are quite a bit different. In my opinion (hope that's clearer), Dahlbeck (and Connauton for that matter) didn't sign a lower deal he (they) could have found elsewhere. Also, in my opinion, Stone probably filed arbitration because he received a low ball offer of 1.5 million (or something); so far, it appears (in my opinion) that management is offering low budget/low term deals because they perhaps want to spend their time negotiating, but I could be wrong...

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
If you don't like what I say, fell free to not post a reply

I thought you wanted discussion? :sarcasm: It's nice that you've elaborated on how you ultimately reached your strange conclusions but you still haven't given any explanation as to how a given path makes a player classy or classless.

What about Tomas Flash?

Don't think he has much left in the tank.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Ehh idk really. Once we re-sign Doan and Stone we really don't have many options to spend on. Maybe Luke Schenn.

Luke Schenn, like Polak, will be lucky to find a job. Hudler and Versteeg are quality enough, they are probably holding out hope for a specific type of offer at this point. Russell is hot garbage, so JC will be staying away from him.

The market is pretty bare and it won't suddenly be flush due to RFA shenanigans. Might see a trade or two but teams are mostly set. Waiting for a waiver wire pickup is not really appealing.

RABBIT

Years of my life w you f*cks only to get relocated
Luke Schenn, like Polak, will be lucky to find a job. Hudler and Versteeg are quality enough, they are probably holding out hope for a specific type of offer at this point. Russell is hot garbage, so JC will be staying away from him.

The market is pretty bare and it won't suddenly be flush due to RFA shenanigans. Might see a trade or two but teams are mostly set. Waiting for a waiver wire pickup is not really appealing.
Which is scary. This team still looks fairly incomplete.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix

Hearing between the 20th and the 4th. Oh to be a fly on the wall.

Can't imagine Stone is still here past the TDL if it goes down to the arbiter. Hopefully they use the extra time and come to a deal.

Far as Rieder goes, not too worried about him not signing the QO. That's the only leverage he has.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Probably meet Stone halfway to his side of the claim on a two year deal. Bet he takes it. Can't be more than 3.5

JC might have some handshake deals with guys like Tanguay and Gagner come camp if young players/other options don't materialize.

I'd like to see Justin Schultz here on a one year redemption deal but they've got 7 one way deals already. Don't know what Dahlbeck did to deserve so much faith but eh.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
I thought you wanted discussion? :sarcasm: It's nice that you've elaborated on how you ultimately reached your strange conclusions but you still haven't given any explanation as to how a given path makes a player classy or classless.

Discussion is one thing. "What are you even talking about?" is something else I guess I don't know how to explain it to you, since it's my perception/opinion.

A player accepting a smaller contract (whether money or term) to help out a team (see some of the deals the Penguins, Lightning, and other teams have made with players) instead of hitting the market and making a fair amount seems more classy to me. Holding out until the bitter end or negotiating for more than your worth to a desperate team (see multiple Toronto/Philadelphia signings) could be considered less classy (I never implied any player was classless, by the way, just that some are more classy than others). Classless would have to be a player that stoops pretty low, but no one comes to mind.

Back to on-topic discussions, sorry about the tangent.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
I guess I don't know how to explain it to you, since it's my perception/opinion.

A player accepting a smaller contract (whether money or term) to help out a team (see some of the deals the Penguins, Lightning, and other teams have made with players) instead of hitting the market and making a fair amount seems more classy to me. Holding out until the bitter end or negotiating for more than your worth to a desperate team (see multiple Toronto/Philadelphia signings) could be considered less classy (I never implied any player was classless, by the way, just that some are more classy than others). Classless would have to be a player that stoops pretty low, but no one comes to mind.

No worries man, I'm certain everyone else understands..... Unless they too suffer from a generally crappy attitude.

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
Could see the Oilers putting RNH on the table for Barrie. Which means we'd likely have to counter with Hanzal.

Hanzal+Stone for Barrie (or Barrie+)?

Problem of course though is we still need a center to fill in for Hanzal.

That sounds good to me but I have no idea what the Avs really want. Every hypothetical offer for Barrie or Duchene seems to get shutdown because it's not what the Avs need...

I personally think Stone is more the style of dman Roy wants.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad