Speculation: 2016 Coyotes Off-Season Roster Discussion - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Morgan's latest piece speculates that the 2/3RW spot could be Christian Fischer's for the taking.

I could see it. I wouldn't bet on it, but I could see it. Spot is open and he's ready from a physical standpoint. If Windsor wasn't playing for the Mem Cup this year, would there even be any discussion about sending him back to the O? Or would he be playing pro in Tucson?

Domi - Hanzal - Duclair
Rieder - Strome - Doan
McGinn - Vermette - Fischer
Nook - Richardson - White

Not bad. Possibly rotate Doan and Fischer.

I only watched a few minutes, but what I saw, I thought Fischer, Wood, French and Perlini looked good. Dvorak and Strome did not stand out, but like I said, I only caught a few minutes worth.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
But with only one year left on his deal, that is what complicates things. We could already have the equal or better C equivalents with both Strome and Dvorak already. A big dollar extension could be just as damaging, as it could lead to:

1. A high dollar C getting out performed by youth in as little as a year or two.
2. Protecting Hanzal instead of another player who could get us more bang for the buck on value
3. The injury train hitting Hanzal and de-valuing his extension

I am far more concerned regarding numbers 1 and 3 on the list above. We have seen how assets wind up breaking down (Klesla) over time, and the only difference in that situation was we never really had anyone to replace Klesla at the time. With a lot of individuals nearing the point in time where they make impacts on an NHL roster, any regression on Hanzal's part would hamper our return that we get both in the future, and what we could have returned at this point in time.

Although he is built like one, Hanzal type players don't grow on trees. Everyone wants to throw him in the garbage for the new toys on the block. IF we trade Hanzal I expect a C returning in a trade. Much can happen in a year or two, so I think the best course of action is just to be a little patient.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->