Speculation: 2016 Coyotes Off-Season Roster Discussion - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
As per Morgan... Chayka is not comfortable with the qualifying number for KConn or Dahlbeck.

I can understand KConn, but Dahlbeck's number is about as low as it gets. To note, their qualifying rates below:

KConn - $840,000
Dahlbeck - $665,000

I can see trying to squeeze 100 grand or so out of KConn, but Dahlbeck is pretty low as is. Unless they're trying for a two-way deal (is he eligible?) or something.

Just accidentally got to this post.

contracts:
KConn - 1 million per season (2 seasons)
Dahlbeck - 750 k (1 season)

So, why did we not qualify if we were going to re-sign them anyway? I'm guessing they were making room for FA D-man singings that never came to fruition. Neither received a two-way deal or settled for less than the QOs.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Samuelsson is kind of the wild card within the roster right now.

Wasn't it two training camps ago when Tippett basically said that he was salivating over seeing Domi-Hanzal-Samuelsson line together? I am wondering if that has changed much over the years, given the influx of talent. Crazy feeling that this line may be an opening day line. Still would not mind signing Versteeg, though.

HankSam is interesting for sure. Wasn't it only 2 years ago when he and Domi looked phenomenal at camp?

At the same time, he's missed a lot of time since then. He could really benefit from a full season in the A. Hopefully that's what the White signing indicates, and not that the org has given up on him. I imagine they're pretty close though. Trade value must be minimal. He's approaching bust territory. And we just released his brother for free.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Dumb question on a player, but is TJ Oshie available for any reason? The Capitals have a lot of upcoming contracts to figure out and may be right up against the cap when Oshie becomes a free agent after this season. He was dealt for Brouwer, a goalie prospect, and a 3rd round pick.

What would it take to get Oshie, if available?

If Coyote management is high on Strome and Dvorak being contributors at center right away, does Hanzal+ gain traction? Both would be free agents after next year and Oshie is likely way higher in price.

Domi-Strome-Oshie
McGinn-Vermette-Reider
Martinook-Richardson-Doan
Dvorak-XXXX-Duclair
White

XXXX could be Dauphin or Gaudet. Or slide Dvorak to C and look LW (Hudler??)

Domi-Strome-Oshie
Hudler-Vermette-Reider
McGinn-Dvorak-Duclair
Martinook-Richardson-Doan
White

Sign Oshie long term and here is the protected list:
F: Oshie, Rieder, McGinn, Hudler/Martinook/Richardson (choose 1)
D: OEL, Goligoski, Murphy, Stone
G: Domingue

Last edited:

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Pulkkinen out 4 to 6 months with a shoulder injury. That would've sucked if he was the main peice coming back in the Datsyuk deal!

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
Dumb question on a player, but is TJ Oshie available for any reason? The Capitals have a lot of upcoming contracts to figure out and may be right up against the cap when Oshie becomes a free agent after this season. He was dealt for Brouwer, a goalie prospect, and a 3rd round pick.

What would it take to get Oshie, if available?

I kind of doubt they'd be interested in moving their 5th highest scoring player from last season for anything we'd be willing to give up. About the only player they might be willing to move would be Beagle (30 years old, 1.75 million per season through 2017-2018) since they signed Connolly. I'd be willing to take Beagle (6'3, 210 lbs, righty, 17 points in 57 games last season), but he doesn't really help us since we kind of have our 3rd/4th RWs (Doan/White)

Tom Polakis

Next expansion
Nov 24, 2008
Tempe, AZ
Every scenario in this thread has Doan on one of the lines. Is it a slam-dunk that he re-signs here? Obviously, he doesn't want to move, but at what point do we begin to wonder why he hasn't signed yet? Do you all anticipate one year, or possibly two?

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Every scenario in this thread has Doan on one of the lines. Is it a slam-dunk that he re-signs here? Obviously, he doesn't want to move, but at what point do we begin to wonder why he hasn't signed yet? Do you all anticipate one year, or possibly two?

I don't think either side is foolish enough to go more than a year at a time. I have a hunch that Chayka might be offering a lowball guaranteed contract with a bunch of incentive money in it, but I have nothing but my gut to back that up.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
Well ****

But makes the McGinn signing look pretty smart (except for the contract price). They probably low-balled him with around 972k. I'm guessing this one is on management, if they would have been able to sign a few more FAs (besides the Goligoski addition), current RFAs may have been more open to their offers. Some of our current RFAs are going to hold out since we haven't spent much money in FA.

Also, with McGinn's 3.3 million per season for 3 seasons contract, can you blame Rieder? I mean, he is playing 2nd line LW, so they're going to need to send him a pretty decent offer (at least 1.5 million to start).

We could also move him, which would probably be fine by Tippett ("just think, we could add another vet with lots of try instead of these prima donnas!"). Not trying to hate on Tipp (too much), but the current roster has his paw prints all over it, even though he likes Rieder's defensive wiles. If Rieder is moved, we could always re-sign Chipchura :eek: (he is still available)

Domi - Hanzal - Duclair
McGinn - Strome - Doan
Martinook - Richardson - Samuelsson
Chipchura - Vermette - White

Last edited:

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
Honestly wouldn't miss him if he got traded.

I like Martinook way more. He was #26 in takeaways. Rieder was 180 something. Rieder in my opinion is a bottom six forward playing top six.

I know +/- isn't the best stat in the world, but it is worrisome that Rieder, who is considered to be a good two way forward, his plus minus is really, really bad. His number stands out.

Martinook is a great third liner.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
Is Chayka gonna play hardball with every player?

I bet Domingue is kicking himself for signing so quickly.

If anything, this situation shows which players have class (Goligoski, Domingue, White), and which ones are potentially in it just for themselves (McGinn--his contract still seems kind of high to me, although it starts off at the same point his last contract left off)

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
If anything, this situation shows which players have class (Goligoski, Domingue, White), and which ones are potentially in it just for themselves (McGinn--his contract still seems kind of high to me, although it starts off at the same point his last contract left off)

It's a business. That's how players and managers treat it. What the hell are you even talking about?

BlazingBlueAnt

Jul 12, 2014
It's a business. That's how players and managers treat it. What the hell are you even talking about?

Yeah, these guys are one hit away from having brains bashed against their skull and be possibly unable to work ever again. Even then, the average career for an NHL'r is only a couple of years. You bet your ass I'd make as much money as humanly possible.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA

Sorry to offend, that McGinn deal is awesome :)

I'm just saying that Domingue and Goligoski seem to look at more than just $ (although Goligoski did get a pretty nice deal, but probably could have gotten more elsewhere). If they all only view it like a business, why hasn't Doan signed elsewhere?

Don't worry, I still enjoy your wonderfully enlightening posts.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Sun Belt
Pre-season is in September.

I'm pretty sure he either has a treadmill and some free weights at home, or if not, he has enough money to get a 2-month membership at 24 Hour Fitness.

Public skate at the Ice Den only costs ~$5 a session without skate rental, because Doaner probably has his own.

Same applies to Rieder, Murphy and Stone.

If they receive an offer sheet from another team, or they still aren't signed 1 September, then we have something to talk about. Until then, it's whatever. It's summer.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I'm just saying that Domingue and Goligoski seem to look at more than just $

You have zero ability to say this sort of thing with any sort of confidence. We're not privy to their exact decision making process. Implying that Domingue has class but McGinn doesn't for some completely arbitrary reason is as dumb as it gets.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Sun Belt
Sorry to offend, that McGinn deal is awesome :)

I'm just saying that Domingue and Goligoski seem to look at more than just $ (although Goligoski did get a pretty nice deal, but probably could have gotten more elsewhere). If they all only view it like a business, why hasn't Doan signed elsewhere?

Don't worry, I still enjoy your wonderfully enlightening posts.
Goligoski and Ribeiro played together two seasons in Dallas.

For all we know, Goose signed here because he wants to play golf and do blow all season.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
I bet Domingue is kicking himself for signing so quickly.

Well, Domingue actually was prepared to head to Europe last year.

http://thehockeywriters.com/coyotes-louis-domingue-will-play-in-europe/

That was why we signed Treutle, but fortunately, the deal with Domingue came together. So last year, he didn't show class, but this year, he shows class?

As XX said, all about business.

Our RFAs all had some pretty good seasons in the interim between the last contract signed, so I am expecting this scenario for a lot of our RFAs, to be honest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Denmark vs Great Britain
    Denmark vs Great Britain
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Germany
    Kazakhstan vs Germany
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $2,330.00