Speculation: 2016 Coyotes Off-Season Roster Discussion - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
As per Morgan... Chayka is not comfortable with the qualifying number for KConn or Dahlbeck.

I can understand KConn, but Dahlbeck's number is about as low as it gets. To note, their qualifying rates below:

KConn - $840,000
Dahlbeck - $665,000

I can see trying to squeeze 100 grand or so out of KConn, but Dahlbeck is pretty low as is. Unless they're trying for a two-way deal (is he eligible?) or something.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I can see trying to squeeze 100 grand or so out of KConn, but Dahlbeck is pretty low as is. Unless they're trying for a two-way deal (is he eligible?) or something.

Pretty sure he could take a 2-way deal but he'd still be subject to waivers. He'd probably rather hit the market though.

That is if my .01% of CBA knowledge is correct. If not I'm sure mouser or someone can clarify.

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
What's the point of nickel and diming with the depth guys? Seems pretty senseless not to at least qualify these guys at those low contracts. We need depth, these guys know the system and they're low risks of being claimed on waivers if you are forced to send the down into the season. Owners claim there's money to spend and then they don't qualify our 7 and 8 D over 20 or 30 thousand bucks?

cobra427

May 6, 2012
What's the point of nickel and diming with the depth guys? Seems pretty senseless not to at least qualify these guys at those low contracts. We need depth, these guys know the system and they're low risks of being claimed on waivers if you are forced to send the down into the season. Owners claim there's money to spend and then they don't qualify our 7 and 8 D over 20 or 30 thousand bucks?

Maybe this is their proposed top 5 D or 6 D.

OEL-RHD through trade or UFA
Gogo-Stone
Murphy-?( maybe another UFA/small trade)

Maybe proposed 6/7-8 is:

Z/Deangelo/Chychurun, one vet D and two other D with the most upside in the system.

Maybe Chayka/Tip think Kcoon/Dahlback aren't in their plans or if they are, they want them on 2-way deals.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto

Ehh, fairly common practice. NJ is doing it with both Bennett and Smith-Pelly. Calgary with Colborne.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014

I've gotta think there's something else at play, whether it be two way deals or Chaypett wanting to keep their options open.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I don't trust Playfair to develop decent pancakes, much less the prize D jewel of the franchise.

Rushing him would be a bad thing. He needs to think the game properly at the junior level before moving to the NHL.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

They may think they can pick up someone better in FA or in a trade.

If more trades are on the table, they might not want to get bogged down on contracts.

Exactly. That is why we didn't take those two bums from Detroit.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I've gotta think there's something else at play, whether it be two way deals or Chaypett wanting to keep their options open.

I think they are planning on one more vet D through trade or UFA. Somebody experienced but at least better than Z/Kconn/Dahlback, or a number 1 RHD. I still think the 1RHD will be tough to get and expensive. There are plenty of teams that need a high end or potential high end RHD that will over pay for Shatty or one of Mini's RHD's. There is a ton of interest in RHD's, makes it a very expensive acquisition.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I think they are planning on one more vet D through trade or UFA. Somebody experienced but at least better than Z/Kconn/Dahlback, or a number 1 RHD. I still think the 1RHD will be tough to get and expensive. There are plenty of teams that need a high end or potential high end RHD that will over pay for Shatty or one of Mini's RHD's. There is a ton of interest in RHD's, makes it a very expensive acquisition.

We don't need much as far as our 3LD is concerned, and I think Deangelo has a good shot at making our team, or at least he thinks that. I hope the Coyotes don't go crazy and lose any of our good prospects on a expensive 1RD this year.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006

The owners say there is money to spend if they need to spend it. See: Goligoski. If they don't need to spend it, though, they're not going to spend it. It needs to be pointed out again that our owners are not big-money guys, and moreover they're looking at potentially investing a significant amount of money to build a new arena in the next few years. That's not even taking into account our annual operating losses.

Nickeling and diming has been and will continue to be the modus operandi for IceArizona for the foreseeable future. Like I said earlier, we're the Oakland A's of the NHL.

I believe it's a simple matter of the qualifying offer being too high for the value the players bring. That's not a rarity. For instance, if you have a player who had a lot of potential and thus earned a top-level ELC, and then his play slumped off, the QO is not going to reflect his performance.

I'm not worried about it. If Connauton or Dahlbeck don't like it, they can pursue contracts elsewhere - but they shouldn't expect to get much more from other teams.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
I'm not worried about it. If Connauton or Dahlbeck don't like it, they can pursue contracts elsewhere - but they shouldn't expect to get much more from other teams.

Some teams will probably go after Connauton and may have a better offer than we are willing to give him. He did turn it around some after the trade, so he might be worth rolling the dice on.

Dahlbeck may get a decent offer, but I could see him head back overseas. He has potential, but he's still a borderline AHL/NHL player.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Some teams will probably go after Connauton and may have a better offer than we are willing to give him. He did turn it around some after the trade, so he might be worth rolling the dice on.

Keep in mind that Connauton wasn't traded to us - he was claimed off waivers from Columbus, who claimed him off waivers in 2014. It doesn't seem too likely that he's going to get much of a raise if he goes UFA.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Perhaps there was an objective analysis of these players' play last season and the Coyotes simply don't want these players anymore.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
Keep in mind that Connauton wasn't traded to us - he was claimed off waivers from Columbus, who claimed him off waivers in 2014. It doesn't seem too likely that he's going to get much of a raise if he goes UFA.

By "go after" I didn't mean there'd be a bidding war, just that a team needing an offensive d-man may be willing to pay him around what his QO would have been.

Upon reflection, Dahlbeck may be in a bit more demand than Connauton. He's cheaper and would be a nice addition to a team that has a ton invested in their top two pairings and need a "warm body" or #7. Dahlbeck is a serviceable bottom pairing guy, so some may be interested (MTL, SJ, MIN, NYR, NYI, DET, or TB)

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Blues reporter says there is no truth to Kevin Shattenkirk only willing to sign in the East.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
We don't need much as far as our 3LD is concerned, and I think Deangelo has a good shot at making our team, or at least he thinks that. I hope the Coyotes don't go crazy and lose any of our good prospects on a expensive 1RD this year.

Agreed and this is what will be interesting in nearing days.' The team wants to win now,'or so it's been said.' Will they be comfortable enough with what they have,'or do something foolish?

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Since this has come up regarding the QOs - every RFA D that is left-handed was not given a QO, correct?

I would take this to mean that we are heavily invested in signing or trading for a LHD who can fill 15-18 mins a night, preferably on the PK. Only if we do not consummate the trade or signings do we start to consider Tinordi, Connauton, or Dahlbeck. FWIW, I think that Dahlbeck stays and we let Tinordi and Connauton walk if we sign/trade for whom I think we have our sights on.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Since this has come up regarding the QOs - every RFA D that is left-handed was not given a QO, correct?

I would take this to mean that we are heavily invested in signing or trading for a LHD who can fill 15-18 mins a night, preferably on the PK. Only if we do not consummate the trade or signings do we start to consider Tinordi, Connauton, or Dahlbeck. FWIW, I think that Dahlbeck stays and we let Tinordi and Connauton walk if we sign/trade for whom I think we have our sights on.

John Michael Liles?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad