Speculation: 2016 Coyotes Off-Season Roster Discussion - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antonche

Jan 13, 2015
Russia, Siberia.
Today's dream:

- Trade Hanzal for Dumba
- Sign UFA David Backes (right handed C)

Domi - Staal - Duclair
Rieder - Strome - Backes
Dvorak - Vermette - Doan
Nook - Richardson - Hank
ex/Gaudet?

OEL - Murphy
Gogo - Dumba
Dahlbeck - Stone
ex/Z, DeAngelo

Still have no preferences for that 3RW slot.

?:yo:

RABBIT

wasn’t gonna be a fan but Utalked me into it
I don't know if Dumba is the guy I'd go after, since adding DeAngelo. I know he's a long-shot but I didn't really feel like Dumba was the best fit before the weekend, and this solidifies that for me.

I'm actually pretty okay with our D as it stands. I wish we'd sign both of Dahlbeck and KConn, honestly. One strictly PK, lower end full-strength ice time guy and one strictly PP, lower end full-strength ice time guy to sub in and out for each other. Similarly, on the right side, we've got Michalek and DeAngelo who should both be sheltered at full strength and really only utilized heavily on their respective specialty teams units.

Tucson is so close, we could call up DeAngelo only for road-trips. He could be a game-day call up for home games as a coach's decision.

If the Rangers really want to move Stepan and are reasonably sure they're going to sign Stamkos, I'd rather focus on that. The Hanzal situation is a situation. If can deal him for a good haul of futures, and then add some of our own futures, and send a big ass pile of futures to New York for Stepan, I like the idea of that. Or if the Rangers are really all-in on this season, then I'd retain 50% on Hanzal and add some futures. Like Hanzal(50%) and a conditional 1st (AZ's choice of 17 or 18) and something else.

Hanzal (50% retained) Hank Samuelsson, Brendan Perlini, 3rd round pick in 2017 to the Rangers for Oscar Lindberg, and Derek Stepan

OriginalJetsCoyotes

Mar 7, 2016
Hanmer, Ontario
Today's dream:

- Trade Hanzal for Dumba
- Sign UFA David Backes (right handed C)

Domi - Backes - Duclair
Rieder - Strome - Doan
Dvorak - Vermette - xxxx
Nook - Richardson - Hank
ex/Gaudet?

OEL - Murphy
Gogo - Dumba
Dahlbeck - Stone
ex/Z, DeAngelo

Still have no preferences for that 3RW slot.

So of that list who is protected and who will be taken from us?

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
So of that list who is protected and who will be taken from us?

I'd protect the bolded:

Domi - Backes - Duclair
Rieder - Strome - Doan
Dvorak - Vermette - xxxx
Nook - Richardson - Hank
ex/Gaudet?

OEL - Murphy
Gogo - Dumba
Dahlbeck - Stone
ex/Z, DeAngelo

8 skaters. We probably lose Richardson, maybe Martinook, to Vegas. Also depends who the 3RW is.

strizzy16

Welcome to Life, 2.0
Mar 6, 2012
somewhere south
I like the addition of Backes and Staal above-- it kind of reminds me of the Panthers last year, a bunch of really young speedy guys who casual fans have probably never heard of, combined with old veterans. i think with that roster we are around wild card team if we get good goaltending.

If we don't bring in someone like Dumba via trade, do we still do the 8 skaters protected thing? in that scenario, we'd probably protect Murph Stone OEL Gogo + Duclair Rieder Martinook and (UFA right winger). We don't want to leave either one of Murphy or Stone unprotected. if he's there, I take Martinook if i'm Vegas. More value than Richardson

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Drew Stafford is probably available. A decent 2nd line RW. He wont cost too much to acquire.

Would love to get Backes. Okposo would also be a good fit. Still really like the idea of trading for Stepan.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I think we can lure a big-name RW with some solid term. Like 4 or 5 years.

After Duclair... Doan is year by year. Fischer is a year away. Merkley probably two years. HankSam is a bottom sixer. Garland may not make the NHL.

So we probably could afford to do something like 5x5 for someone like Okposo.

16-17: Duclair, Okposo, Doan, Hank
17-18: Duclair, Okposo, Fischer, Hank?
18-19: Duclair, Okposo, Merkley, Fischer

Something like that anyway.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
In terms of righty RW who can play top 6/top 9:

Vrbata
Purcell
D. Jones
Brouwer
C. Stewart
PAP
Weise
Stempniak

It's a lean list.

Tad Mikowski

Hail to the King Baby
Sponsor
May 31, 2012
Phoenix, AZ

Vrbata
Purcell
D. Jones
Brouwer
C. Stewart
PAP
Weise
Stempniak

It's a lean list.

Stempniak would be the best fit in my opinion. Guy is pretty reliable and he probably won't cost a ton or require a lot of term

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Wouldn't mind picking up Fehr for the wing, too. He can fill in a RH FO guy in the bottom six should a need arise.

Why? He is terrible in the dot, doesn't produce and his advanced stats show he is a fourth liner. Can't we find someone on the farm that is better and cheaper. I would rather have Chip and he would be a hell of a lot cheaper.

cobra427

May 6, 2012

Vrbata
Purcell
D. Jones
Brouwer
C. Stewart
PAP
Weise
Stempniak

It's a lean list.

Maybe there is a trade for an RW from a team needing cap space. That list is lean for sure and I wouldn't want to give more then a 1 or 2 year term to any of them.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville

Vrbata
Purcell
D. Jones
Brouwer
C. Stewart
PAP
Weise
Stempniak

It's a lean list.

I'd avoid all of those except Brouwer and Stempniak. I don't think Brouwer would have us. Stempniak would be fine. He's put up 51, 28, 34, 32, and 28 in each of the last five seasons. 30pts seems like a reasonable goal for us. And he PKs.

Eric Fehr put up only 14 points in a rough year this season but had 33 and 31 in the two years preceding and 34pt pace in the locked out season before that. Another reasonable bet for 30pts. And he PKs and he's a career 49% on the FO dot. He's getting 4th line mins in PIT and has a 2mil cap-hit. That's pretty rich for them, I imagine. I don't think the cost to acquire would be too high.

rt

May 13, 2004
Why? He is terrible in the dot, doesn't produce and his advanced stats show he is a fourth liner. Can't we find someone on the farm that is better and cheaper. I would rather have Chip and he would be a hell of a lot cheaper.

His advanced stats show he's a fourth liner because that was his usage last season. The 4th line. He's not terrible on the dot, at all. 49%. Do you know what 1% of faceoffs is for a guy who only does draws part time? It's roughly 2-3 extra face off wins or losses per YEAR. It means nothing. He's been a major part of effective PK units before. So that's the appeal. That and having a RH FO option for the bottom six.

rt

May 13, 2004
I'd LOVE to add Brouwer, though. He'd be a tough get. His last contract was 3 yr(s) / $11,000,000 - I have no idea what we could offer him that would entice him to come here.

Then again I felt the same way about Goligoski. Both players have already won a Stanley Cup. Both are about that same settling down age. Brouwer is married like Goligoski and Brouwer has at least one child, I believe. Maybe he'd settle for long-term contract, a team on the rise, and a nice stable place to lay down roots and raise a family.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
STL just re-signed Brodziak. I know his name had been mentioned here a bit. Scratch him from the list.

Garrioch (Sens beat writer) seems to believe that Ottawa won't qualify Chiasson and may trade him today. Something to keep an eye on.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Why not go with Kyle Brodziak as the bottom 6 RW, and have him slot over to C just to take the defensive zone F/Os when we need a RH in the circle? He is a career 49.4% FO guy and can play on the PK. We could probably overpay by offering $1 M per year.

NVM, just realized that St. Louis extended him for two years about an hour ago...

rt

May 13, 2004
STL just re-signed Brodziak. I know his name had been mentioned here a bit. Scratch him from the list.

Garrioch (Sens beat writer) seems to believe that Ottawa won't qualify Chiasson and may trade him today. Something to keep an eye on.

Chiasson is worth a gamble is the price is to acquire is pretty low. His numbers have declined every year but he's still quite young. He gets PK time but that PK unit is terrible. I wouldn't give up much but he might be an okay dice roll.

EDIT: speaking of PK quality, these are the opt ten PK units last season

ANA
WSH
STL
NYI
PIT
CAR
TBL
NJD
BUF
DAL

Top Four PK Fs on those teams:

ANA - Kesler, Cogliano, Silfverberg, Horcoff
WSH - Richards, Laich, Beagle, Winnik
STL - Backes, Steen, Ott, Brodziak (Brouwer fifth)
NYI - Cizikas, Nielsen, Kulemin, Clutterbuck
PIT - Cullen, Ferh, Dupuis, Bonino
CAR - McClement, J.Staal, Nordstrom, Malone
TBL - Boyle, Callahan, Filppula, Paquette
NJD - Zajac, Henrique, Stempniak, Gionta
BUF - Legwand, ROR, Gionta, Kane
DAL - Fiddler, Scevior, Benn, Eakin

RHS in bold

Of those, which are good fits?

Last edited:

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I'd LOVE to add Brouwer, though. He'd be a tough get. His last contract was 3 yr(s) / $11,000,000 - I have no idea what we could offer him that would entice him to come here.

Brouwer isn't a JC style player. He'd have been firmly on the Oshie side of that trade. Think Perron, Purcell, Eriksson etc... generating possession seems to be a big thing for Chayka.

strizzy16

Welcome to Life, 2.0
Mar 6, 2012
somewhere south
Chiasson is worth a gamble is the price is to acquire is pretty low. His numbers have declined every year but he's still quite young. He gets PK time but that PK unit is terrible. I wouldn't give up much but he might be an okay dice roll.

EDIT: speaking of PK quality, these are the opt ten PK units last season

ANA
WSH
STL
NYI
PIT
CAR
TBL
NJD
BUF
DAL

Top Four PK Fs on those teams:

ANA - Kesler, Cogliano, Silfverberg, Horcoff
WSH - Richards, Laich, Beagle, Winnik
STL - Backes, Steen, Ott, Brodziak (Brouwer fifth)
NYI - Cizikas, Nielsen, Kulemin, Clutterbuck
PIT - Cullen, Ferh, Dupuis, Bonino
CAR - McClement, J.Staal, Nordstrom, Malone
TBL - Boyle, Callahan, Filppula, Paquette
NJD - Zajac, Henrique, Stempniak, Gionta
BUF - Legwand, ROR, Gionta, Kane
DAL - Fiddler, Scevior, Benn, Eakin

RHS in bold

Of those, which are good fits?

good post, unfortunately some of these guys just arent options, like I love Silfverberg but why would he leave? really found his stride at the end of the season this season with ANA. I've always liked clutterbuck, but he is a little over paid and has one year left with NYI. Stempniak could be one of the best options because he was pretty good for us a few years back so might feel comfortable here, and he's bounced around lately so may want a 3yr deal at not the highest rate.

strizzy16

Welcome to Life, 2.0
Mar 6, 2012
somewhere south
Didn't Stempniak in AZ end badly?

Not sure, sour taste in his mouth because of being traded? it was 5 yrs ago and it could have had to do with GMDM. Don't know if it was an issue with Tipp, he always seemed like a "Tipp Guy". I wonder what his advanced analytics say. He's been underrated for a while IMO

rt

May 13, 2004
Not sure, sour taste in his mouth because of being traded? it was 5 yrs ago and it could have had to do with GMDM. Don't know if it was an issue with Tipp, he always seemed like a "Tipp Guy". I wonder what his advanced analytics say. He's been underrated for a while IMO

I know he generates a ton of shots. So that's probably a good sign for all of the other possession based stuff. What's the site everyone has been using lately? With the horizontal bar charts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad