Phoenix
Mosby's Depth Chart:
OsrV0eP.jpg

Last edited:

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Dreger seems to think that the Canucks are closer to "renovate" than they are "rebuild". We need to take advantage of this stupidity.

DesertDawg

Mar 6, 2002
Superstition Mts
ridefree.net
BUX7PHX

ESPN had a list of 5 teams most affected by expansion draft rules:

1. Chicago
2. Pittsburgh
3. Minnesota
4. Anaheim
5. Columbus

Reaching out to any one of those teams for deals would be smart, however the issue is that Pittsburgh and Anaheim will be picking after #20. Chicago doesn't have a first rounder (what D man could #20 get?). And Columbus is picking very high in the draft. Minnesota or Chicago are the most ideal teams to trade with, from the value standpoint

Columbus is interesting and JJ may be the player that DT wants on the 2nd line. Werenski will push JJ to the bottom paring and I can't see the BJs taking back a player they will need to protect.

and as for Hamonic, he doesn't have a NTC or NMC, Snow can trade him anyways, as long as the Islanders price is met and they do have some depth @ the blue line.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Any concerns in acquiring Johnson with the legal issues surrounding him? Is this an off-ice distraction?

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
In that case, I'd offer similar to what I mentioned for Chara... Dahlbeck and 53. Probably an underpayment, but we're giving them a decent 2nd and a replacement on the LD side. And taking on 4M+ in cap for Johnson (plus his actual salary is 5M).

Sounds like Werenski is close to NHL ready. That'd give them Murray-Werenski-Dahlbeck down the left side. Young, but decent. Not to mention Tyutin, if they keep him around.

Not sure if Johnson fits with what Chayka is trying to do though. Aren't Johnson's advanced stats terrible?

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Isn't the whole point of moneyball to find under appreciated assets? Lower prices options that will deliver greater value than price tag expectation.

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
Isn't the whole point of moneyball to find under appreciated assets? Lower prices options that will deliver greater value than price tag expectation.

Jack Johnson could be that, he only had 14 points last season.

But I'd wanna know why he went from 40 points to 14. Bad luck that analytics back up? Torts? Or does he just suck now?

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Jack Johnson could be that, he only had 14 points last season.

But I'd wanna know why he went from 40 points to 14. Bad luck that analytics back up? Torts? Or does he just suck now?

Yeah JJ is an interesting one. Has he had a down year on a not so great team, or is he taking a Jovo flight path, nosediving straight through the ****ing ground? He is that nice mix of the ideal NHL defenseman of the past and what is more effective today. But I'm not so sure he ever play like he did on the Kings again. Maybe a Jackets fan can give some insight.

Eco

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2013
Beaupré, Quebec
JJ would be a nice little add. I just wonderful how aggressive we will be in the off season in regards to signing players. We still need some defensive help so I hope that's the issue that's addressed first and foremost.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
JJ would be a nice little add. I just wonderful how aggressive we will be in the off season in regards to signing players. We still need some defensive help so I hope that's the issue that's addressed first and foremost.

JJ is the advanced stats antichrist. I would be very surprised if he ended up here, given that Chayka would have a binder full of evidence as to why he shouldn't. Now, like all things, dignity has a price. If JJ is left with few options, he'd be an okay gamble at the right price.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Yeah JJ is an interesting one. Has he had a down year on a not so great team, or is he taking a Jovo flight path, nosediving straight through the ****ing ground? He is that nice mix of the ideal NHL defenseman of the past and what is more effective today. But I'm not so sure he ever play like he did on the Kings again. Maybe a Jackets fan can give some insight.

JJ is the advanced stats antichrist. I would be very surprised if he ended up here, given that Chayka would have a binder full of evidence as to why he shouldn't. Now, like all things, dignity has a price. If JJ is left with few options, he'd be an okay gamble at the right price.

Isn't he going through a big legal battle with his parents? That has to way heavily on him and probably has hurt his play, but like XX said his advanced stats are not good. I think we stay away.

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
In that case, I'd offer similar to what I mentioned for Chara... Dahlbeck and 53. Probably an underpayment, but we're giving them a decent 2nd and a replacement on the LD side. And taking on 4M+ in cap for Johnson (plus his actual salary is 5M).

Sounds like Werenski is close to NHL ready. That'd give them Murray-Werenski-Dahlbeck down the left side. Young, but decent. Not to mention Tyutin, if they keep him around.

Not sure if Johnson fits with what Chayka is trying to do though. Aren't Johnson's advanced stats terrible?

If Johnson can be had for 53 + Dahlbeck, I think it's worth the gamble.

If we could snag Dumba + 15 for 7 + 37. Take one of Fabbro/McAvoy/Bean at 15.

Domi-Hanzal-Duclair
Rieder-Strome-Doan
Tanguay-Vermette-Dvorak
Nook-Richy-HSam

OEL-Murphy
Johnson-Dumba
kConn-Stone
Z

Tip might be able to get that squad into the playoffs, depending on the rookie/sophomore players and Smith. Budgets about right, leaves our prospect pool in tact, and leaves us in pretty safe spot for expansion.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Scandella has the best Fenwick per 60, Corsi per 60, and points per 60 of all Minnesota D over the last two years combined. Dumba is second.

Scandella is 26 and plays the left side, where we desperately need a body. Dumba is 21 and RFA this offseason, likely bridge deal will be in place before a long-term deal gets done. He also plays the right side, where we have more bodies, although Z is declining and we will see what happens with Stone's injury.

In my eyes, Scandella is both more important to go after and will likely cost less than Dumba in trade value. But I find no fault with either, just that we will continue to have a gaping hole on the #2 LHD if we don't sign someone or trade for someone this offseason. Would prefer Scandella and Dumba both over Johnson.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
The trade board went full on stupid based on a nothingburger fake clickbait rumor; and I already got rid of my snarky signature. Really kicking myself on this one.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
A Jackets fan mentioned two 2nds for Johnson. So maybe my Dahlbeck + 53 OV wasn't as far off as I thought. Dahlbeck himself was a third rounder.

Not sure if I'd do 37 and 53 for Johnson though. Taking a $5M cap hit in one shot is doing a significant favor for the Jackets.

RABBIT

Years of my life w you f*cks only to get relocated
I know it's not likely at all, probably just some idiot trying to get hit on his Twitter, but if the Mathews rumor on the main boards is/was true, I would be terrified. Don't get me wrong, I would love to get Matthews here in Arizona, but under no circumstances do I want to trade Domi for him. Sure, most will argue that Domi has less value than Matthews, but I think Max is the future of our franchise, future captain, and he loves it here. Plus I have a legitimate feeling he will be one of our top scorers for many years to come. All that, plus we have to give up both of our first round picks this year and probably another prospect that we are entirely comfortable with getting rid of. I would be extremely ecstatic to pick number one overall, especially our hometown kid, but I'm not sure I would pay the price that's being rumored.

With that said, the tweets also mentioned Dvorak and the two firsts, plus another smaller piece could potentially get it done. While I don't believe that entirely, if there is a sliver of truth to that, I would probably pull the trigger on that deal.

Eco

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2013
Beaupré, Quebec
I know it's not likely at all, probably just some idiot trying to get hit on his Twitter, but if the Mathews rumor on the main boards is/was true, I would be terrified. Don't get me wrong, I would love to get Matthews here in Arizona, but under no circumstances do I want to trade Domi for him. Sure, most will argue that Domi has less value than Matthews, but I think Max is the future of our franchise, future captain, and he loves it here. Plus I have a legitimate feeling he will be one of our top scorers for many years to come. All that, plus we have to give up both of our first round picks this year and probably another prospect that we are entirely comfortable with getting rid of. I would be extremely ecstatic to pick number one overall, especially our hometown kid, but I'm not sure I would pay the price that's being rumored.

With that said, the tweets also mentioned Dvorak and the two firsts, plus another smaller piece could potentially get it done. While I don't believe that entirely, if there is a sliver of truth to that, I would probably pull the trigger on that deal.

I feel the same really. I'd love Mathews, but not for OEL or Domi. If somehow we could package Hanzel than I'd be more interested as I don't think we re-sign him anyways. Domi + Duclair is the future, and I'd rather us keep our 7 OA and sure up our defense.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Just posting to document that I agree with Jakes (see, it happens, Jakey!) with the hardpass on Quincy.

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
I know it's wild fantasy dream land, but if we just want to give away all the picks:

Yotes trade 3rd to Flyers for 3rd + 4th. Yotes keep 2017 3rd from Grossman trade.

Yotes approach BJs during draft about offer sheet to Seth Jones. Yotes offer 7 + 20 + 37 + 53 (2 firsts, 2 seconds) for Jones, slightly better than an offer sheet in the $7.3M+ range and all picks known quantities, plus saves Columbus from a flat cap. We immediately sign Jones to a long term deal below $7.3M.

OEL and Jones lock in the top pair for years to come.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Jones isn't worth that yet

Even if he was, the Coyotes aren't in a position to do such a thing.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Seems like a toothless threat given a player actually has to sign an offersheet. I don't think many players are just itching to sign 7yr deals with a homeless team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad