Speculation: 2016 Coyotes Off-Season Roster Discussion - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
We probably aren't going to add anyone that would score more goals on a line with Strome than Doan would. I don't think we can afford that.

Sign Stempniak, Sceviour, Latta, and John Michael Liles to 1-2 year deals via UFA

Domi-Hanzal-Duclair
Rieder-Strome-Doan
Dvorak-Vermette-Stempniak
Martinook-Richardson-Sceviour
Latta

OEL-Murphy
Goligoski-Stone
Liles-Michalek
Dahlbeck-DeAngelo

Smith
Domingue

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I hope Martinook and Richardson are both 4th liners next season. If they're two thirds of our third line and we have a whole 4th line of players worse than them, we're really going to suck.

I want Martinook on the 3rd line. He is too good and getting better to be on the 4th line. If he can build on last year he becomes more valuable with his speed. Richardson/Marinook/Doan played very well together last year.

rt

May 13, 2004
I love Backes, and he is just the type of player we need. He is as tough as nails.

He's actually a really terrible fighter for his size and strength. He does throw a ton of hits, plays a very rough power game, and honestly doesn't really need to fight much anyway. Takes a ton of minor penalties which is less than ideal given how bad our PK is. All that said, he'd give us size, swagger and skill that this team could really use. I'd be thrilled to add him. I'm sure he wants a cup though, given his age and the sharp decline players like him often suffer.

cactus shake

Oct 22, 2013
I really hope the Isles make some moves and Ryan Strome becomes available.

How about Craig Smith as a straight up Boedker replacement? Has better underlying numbers, but I'm not sure how much playing with Forsberg influences that. Another streaky scorer / defensive liability but a RHS that seems a potential buy low candidate. 4 more years at 4.25.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Morgan says team will sign a vet goalie to start in Tucson. Plan is to have Adin Hill as the backup. Langhamer starts in Rapid City.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Tampa is apparently still wanting to keep Stamkos. Any chance we could get them to retain 30-40% on Callahan? Does he have a NMC? Any chance he'd waive?

Callahan really declined last year. He has a NMC. I'd take Jason Garrison for something small instead.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
He's actually a really terrible fighter for his size and strength. He does throw a ton of hits, plays a very rough power game, and honestly doesn't really need to fight much anyway. Takes a ton of minor penalties which is less than ideal given how bad our PK is. All that said, he'd give us size, swagger and skill that this team could really use. I'd be thrilled to add him. I'm sure he wants a cup though, given his age and the sharp decline players like him often suffer.

True.

and why I love the idea of Hanzal, Backes, and Doan playing on 3 separate lines

Backs would make this team much tougher. He is a character guy.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
Tampa is apparently still wanting to keep Stamkos. Any chance we could get them to retain 30-40% on Callahan? Does he have a NMC? Any chance he'd waive?

If they hope to re-sign Stamkos, they'd have to move Palat, Johnson, Hedman, or Killorn.

I wouldn't mind getting Palat (LW) or Killorn (LW/C), but they are both LHS, so that doesn't help us. They'll want to hold on to Hedman (at least that was briefly discussed at the Draft by their GM).

I suppose they could try to move Carle, Garrison, Stralman, or Coburn. Of course we're probably on all of their No-trade lists so the only one worth considering is Stralman (RHD) since the others are way too pricey for 3rd pairing duty. Stone for Stralman (if willing to come here)? They save roughly 2-3 million, but I'm guessing we'd have to add a bit more with the injury thing.

rt

May 13, 2004
Tampa's best offer for Stamkos is 8.5. They're not even in the mix IMO.

There is no income tax in Florida, which helps. New York's top bracket is something like 9%, if I recall correctly (something I only know because of onilne hockey chat hfboards.com - hahaha). That makes some amount of difference over the life of a 7yr contract, I'd think. Plus Tampa is the only team that can offer him an 8yr deal.

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
I want Martinook on the 3rd line. He is too good and getting better to be on the 4th line. If he can build on last year he becomes more valuable with his speed. Richardson/Marinook/Doan played very well together last year.

Exactly. I think that's the 3rd line we'll see to start the season at least...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad