Speculation: 2016 Coyotes Off-Season Roster Discussion - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Well for Minny it's about asset and cap management.

Cap management maybe. Asset management though? They've just never struck me as a team overly concerned about that. They can just go out and sign players at will. Teams that can do this are less concerned about raw value.

You are definitely right about them wanting Dvorak in such a deal though. There are rumors of them wanting to move out of 15 as well for the exactly type of player we don't want to give up.

If you look at the Avalanche that's why I think they are the more likely target with Barrie. They have actually demonstrated the types of concerns you talked about in the RoR deal. Ultimately though I think we get out-bid unless Chayka/Ownerhsip does something crazy.

Far as all the expansion protection goes, I think all that stuff will be sorted out prior to the actual draft in a flurry and a lot of the talk about teams wargaming it out right now is overblown. I'm sure it's a consideration but for a team like Minnesota who has guys like Parise and Sutter on the clock they are more concerned with next season.

He'd have been the perfect + for many of these trades without the injury.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
The Wild look to be a headache in terms of expansion.

They have 3 forward NMCs they must protect, in Parise, Koivu, and Pominville. Vanek also has a NMC but he's either bought out this summer or a UFA next. Then, they need to protect Coyle, Granlund, and Niederreiter. Maybe Haula.

On D, Suter's NMC is automatically protected. Then there are the other big 4 D: Brodin, Scandella, Spurgeon, Dumba.

Remember, you can protect either 8 skaters or 3D+7F. So the Wild can protect all 5 of those D and the 3 F NMCs, but that leaves a guy like Granlund exposed. Or they could protect 4 D, 3 F NMCs, and one other forward, but then they're losing a valuable D. Or, the other scenario, protect 3 D (leaving 2 unprotected) so they can protect 7 forwards. Bolded seems like the most likely scenario.

Exactly - there is at least two talented Fs or 1 talented D and 1 talented F exposed in the first scenario or two talented D in the second scenario.

Parise, Koivu, Pominville, Suter must be protected. If the other 4 D are protected, Coyle, Granlund, and Neidereiter all exposed. If 3 D are protected, whom do you leave out? Scandella or Spurgeon would appear to be the best option. When is an expansion team going to get a D under 23 years old that can play now? Dumba or Brodin would be as good as gone.

Of bigger importance is that if we convince MIN to make this deal now, we can still underpay. As we get closer to expansion draft, Wild leverage will decrease more and more. If Chayka is smart, he talks to Fletcher about how Scandella will return a late 1st round pick/early 2nd alone b/c MIN can't risk losing someone for nothing here. I always view Scandella as somewhere between a #10-#25 draft pick. If the expansion draft weren't happening, then the MIN board is correct that he would basically be a #6-15 pick. We get value, MIN gets value. Everyone is happy.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
I like this deal if you swap Scandella for Dumba.

For the prospect, I'd move any of Letunov, Merkley, or Samuelsson.

Agreed, but Minnesota still has some RFA years on Dumba - even if Dumba doesn't ever meet Scandella's play (two different player types, I know), you can't have lower value on a younger player vs the older player. Dumba would be considered higher value b/c there is still potential growth to his game and you can get 6-8 years out of him. Scandella's value has likely peaked and his contract is for another 4 years.

Agree on the prospects that we could move there. Perlini is the only one that I would be a little gunshy about, but left handed wings are probably the easiest to find.

Could we convince MIN to take on Hanzal instead of a prospect? Doesn't really help them much, although as UFA next year, MIN would not have to protect Hanzal. They could do a handshake agreement of sorts where they let Hanzal "walk" instead of extending him before the expansion draft. Once expansion draft is complete, he re-signs in MIN.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Well, we can compare how Duke and Domi did in the 25% of games that Hanzal didn't suit up...

The concern that I still have with Hanzal was that the team has even stated that Hanzal's back was not an issue this year. And he still missed 25% of games. We are worried about how his back is, when we should be worried about head, shoulders, knees, and toes (knees and toes) :laugh:

How does Hanzal help the progression of someone when he may be watching from the pressbox while injured? Right now, at this very moment, Hanzal may be at his healthiest. 20 games into the season, where is he? Trade deadline, is he healthy or battling through something? Value is at its peak right now.

Doing nothing with Hanzal and riding out his deal is the most risky b/c we lose him for nothing. Between trading and signing long term? I can't feel more comfortable about a long term deal.

That might be how management is thinking.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
If UFAs avoid us like the plague, we draft a kid at 7th, and we hang onto Hanzal, how does our D get any better?

If I have to, maybe overpay a bit for a Demers or a Gologoski? Money talks.:nod:

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Maybe Bickell, Pokka + 4th for Tinordi

Think we could get them to eat 20-30%?

I'd probably do that. I'd like the option of keeping one of Z or Pokka as the reserve. Sub one for the other based off of PK versus PP needs and obviously injuries.

Then again, we already kind of have that with KConn and Dahlbeck.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Twitter tells me that today is the 5 year anniv of the Bryz to Philly trade. Time flies! That deal returned a 3rd rounder to the Coyotes that was then flipped to the Penguins for Zbynek Michalek.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
If the Duchene for Trouba rumor has legs, that could be our opportunity to swoop in with a Hanzal+ for Barrie deal. Possibly involve the 7OV.

Keep in mind that the Oilers can offer 4OV or RNH for Barrie. Hopefully Barrie is more open to signing an extension where he gets to live in the desert rather than the frozen tundra of Edmonton.

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Think we could get them to eat 20-30%?

I'd probably do that. I'd like the option of keeping one of Z or Pokka as the reserve. Sub one for the other based off of PK versus PP needs and obviously injuries.

Then again, we already kind of have that with KConn and Dahlbeck.

I guess the idea would be to get Pokka some reps to take Z's spot next year. I'd be looking to throw one of K-Conn/Dahlbeck/P-Sam into a separate deal to land a top 4.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
I guess the idea would be to get Pokka some reps to take Z's spot next year. I'd be looking to throw one of K-Conn/Dahlbeck/P-Sam into a separate deal to land a top 4.

Pokka was who I wanted when the Vermette trade was announced. Arizona got the player I wanted second most in return.

Last edited:

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
If the Duchene for Trouba rumor has legs, that could be our opportunity to swoop in with a Hanzal+ for Barrie deal. Possibly involve the 7OV.

Keep in mind that the Oilers can offer 4OV or RNH for Barrie. Hopefully Barrie is more open to signing an extension where he gets to live in the desert rather than the frozen tundra of Edmonton.
Hanzal +7OA for Barrie? Bit steep, no? Maybe Hanzal +7OA for Barrie +10OA??

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Hanzal +7OA for Barrie? Bit steep, no? Maybe Hanzal +7OA for Barrie +10OA??

I think we'd be adding #20 to that. I don't think 3 draft spots nearly covers the value difference between Hanzal and Barrie given that Hanzal is a pending UFA.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I think we'd be adding #20 to that. I don't think 3 draft spots nearly covers the value difference between Hanzal and Barrie given that Hanzal is a pending UFA.

Still good value. We've got no partner for Barrie, though.

Have to pick up a strong stay at home, PK LHD to pair with him.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse

Coming out of the draft with 10 OA and Barrie sounds
giphy.gif

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Still good value. We've got no partner for Barrie, though.

Have to pick up a strong stay at home, PK LHD to pair with him.

COL fans have been saying Barrie has more facets to his game than just a puck mover. They have made him out to be more similar to Letang than Yandle. From the sound of it he could elevate the play of his partner.

Of course this is what I've gathered from Avs fans posting on an internet hockey message board for fans to discuss their favorite team, not from viewing him on a regular basis.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Barrie can play both ways, he's not Yandle. I like him better than Shattenkirk in that regard. He's probably the most expensive asset on the market, so any trade for him will be painful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad