Not open for further replies.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Ct9G2DmVYAA5afK.jpg

We're Sorry.

Sorry for all the slogans and taglines.

Sorry we asked you to "Join the Hunt", "Run With The Pack," and "Be Coyotes Cool.". Especially that one.

Sorry for "Hockey Headquarters,", "Together We're Full Strength," and "Not Your Dad's Original Six." We get it.

We're sorry for the insecurity. It's not by choice that we face new questions and question marks season after season. But hey, it's hard to overcome being the underdog (no pun intended) without facing some adversity.

But we WILL overcome.
We need YOU to buy in. We need YOU to see the heart, dedication, and Sacrifice that our players bring to the ice EVERY night.

We need YOU to see our committment to this community, and to the entire state of Arizona. We're not merely going to promote that we're "Here to Stay." We're going to SHOW you.

We're not going to tell you that we're "One Pack." We're going to show you.
We're not going to tell you it's "Hockey the Hard Way." We are going to show you.

No taglines.
No promises.
No excuses.

COYOTES 2.0

Mosby

<3 Uncle Gary
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Seems fitting to kick this off with some Doan news.

Jude LaCava ✔ ‎@judefox10
The Captain is on the Valley's Mt. Rushmore as one of the Greats/ expect to see a 1 or 2 year deal here in AZ #nhl
6:49 PM - 13 Apr 2016

Also, Doan was on Gambo's show today. Didn't hear it myself yet, but according to Gambo, Doan says he'll make a decision on next year later this month. His wife has encouraged him to keep playing.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
Okay, so we've got...
LW: Domi, Tanguay, Martinook, Chipchura, Sekac, Plotnikov
of the above, I'm guessing Domi, Tanguay, Martinook, and Plotnikov remain with the chance of Chip returning which would move Plotnikov down to healthy scratch

C: Hanzal, Vermette, Gordon, Dauphin
I'm guessing this stays the same (Gordon gets re-signed), but Strome may edge out Dauphin and end up our #3C for 2016-2017 (unless Vermette does poorly again). If Gordon doesn't get re-signed, we're probably looking at Hanzal, Vermette, Strome, Dauphin or they bring in another vet (perhaps Backes, Matthias, Helm, or Fiddler)

RW: Duclair, Rieder, Doan, Richardson,Tikhonov, Sekac
Rieder, Doan, and Richardson will return. Chip could play on the Right if re-signed. Sekac and Tikhonov will probably be gone and Duclair may possibly be moved (we'll have to wait and see on this)

LD: OEL, Grossmann, Connauton, Tinordi, Dahlbeck
OEL, Grossmann, Connauton, and Dahlbeck will return; I imagine Tinordi will be gone. If Grossmann is not re-signed, we would have #2 RD slot to fill with a new acquisition (moving Dahlbeck to the #7)

RD: Murphy, Stone, and Michalek
Murphy and Michalek will most likely be back; Stone could possibly stay, but I'm guessing he'll be moved to provide another D slot even though his value may not be as high. We could then add two d-men if Michalek is moved to #7. I doubt we'll be able to find 2 RHDs

Goalies: Smith, Domingue
I'm hoping both are re-signed, but Somingue could possibly be moved for a more veteran back-up. Even with more say, I don't think Tippett would push to move Domingue; however, Smith is obviously the starter and will probably end up playing around 60 games if he remains healthy next season. Domingue's rights could land us a decent mid-tier player.

Wild Cards: Gaudet, Dvorak, and MacInnis
Gaudet's rights might be moved. I don't think Dvorak will stay up unless he does exceptionally well at camp; however, he might be one of the first LW call-ups. I could see MacInnis being the first C call-up or healthy scratch switched in every once in a while.

So, we will mainly need to boost our D if things don't stray too much form the current plan (for the 2016-2017 season), but we'll have to see

Last edited:

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Richardson is a C and won't play any other position. He'll end up the 3C or 4C.

He plays wing.

Should be:

Domi - Strome - Duclair
??? - Dvorak - ???
Martinook - Hanzal - Rieder
Richardson - Vermette - Doan

where ??? is some combo of UFA/players like Perlini.

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
He plays wing.

Should be:

Domi - Strome - Duclair
??? - Dvorak - ???

I really would like to see only one of those young centers next year. I would personally like to see Strome make it and Dvorak play in the AHL as a Hanzal injury replacement.

Go into the season with Hanzal, Strome, Vermette, Richardson as our 1, 2, 3, 4. Two rookie centers, in our division is rough.

I would also like to see Doan moved up a line or two and Samuelsson vying for the 4th wing spot. Doan is getting old yes, but he scored 28 freaking goals this year. Until he just can't seem to score there is no need to staple him on the 4th line.

I personally only see two forward spots open next season. One center, and one winger spot. My guess is Strome and maybe Tanguay.

I would however love to get a good second pairing defenseman, and that is on my offseason wish list

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
He plays wing.

Should be:

Domi - Strome - Duclair
??? - Dvorak - ???

Interesting since he centered between Doan and Martinook/Domi for most of the season. But I see he's listed as an RW on the team website.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Interesting since he centered between Doan and Martinook/Domi for most of the season. But I see he's listed as an RW on the team website.

I should have clarified that he plays all three spots will no real affinity for any of them. He's good on faceoffs, but so are Dvorak and Strome. Vermette needs his role reduced and having Doan on a bottom line is more about preserving his energy over an 82 game season. He'd still play a lot on the PP. Hanzal line against top competition with the three best defensive forwards. Those two 'bottom' lines would actually be flex lines, getting more ice time if playing well or rookies are playing bad.

I think they'll go after Loui Eriksson hard if he hits the market. Experience with Tip and Doan has always wanted to play with him. Grabner or Purcell could be a good, cheap hand-holder for Dvorak. Carry Tanguay as the 13th forward if he'll take a reasonable 1 year deal.

I'm actually worried the Avs will pass on Boedker and then management will offer that idiotic contract again. Worst case scenario right there.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Coyotes Bandwagon
I ****ing love Boyd Gordon's game, but he's surplus to requirement. Hanzal, Vermette and Richardson are under contract + Strome and one of Gaudet or Laplante. Honestly I wouldn't mind both of Gaudet and Dauphin, given that Strome might warrant some time on the wing (Hanzal's?) and Richardson can slide out there. Flexibility is good. Having lots of guys who can win faceoffs is good.

Last edited:

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
I ****ing love Boyd Gordon's game, but he's surplus to requirement. Hanzal, Vermette and Richardson are under contract + Strome and one of Gaudet or Laplante. Honestly I wouldn't mind both of Gaudet and Laplante, given that Strome might warrant some time on the wing (Hanzal's?) and Richardson can slide out there. Flexibility is good. Having lots of guys who can win faceoffs is good.

Didn't we trade Laplante?

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
I ****ing love Boyd Gordon's game, but he's surplus to requirement. Hanzal, Vermette and Richardson are under contract + Strome and one of Gaudet or Laplante. Honestly I wouldn't mind both of Gaudet and Laplante, given that Strome might warrant some time on the wing (Hanzal's?) and Richardson can slide out there. Flexibility is good. Having lots of guys who can win faceoffs is good.

Didn't we trade Laplante?

I don't think we have laplante's rights anymore, iirc we chose not to offer him a contract.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
I'm hoping we grab Okposo in free agency, even if we have to overpay

That will be some serious overpayment. Maybe Minnesota will try to bring home another kid and need to empty some defense in the process. Okposo will want term too.

I like Louie as an idea.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Annoyed at Henrik Samuelson regression this year in the AHL after a solid rookie season last year. I expected him to do really well this year and fight for a job on the coyotes in 2016-2017.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Annoyed at Henrik Samuelson regression this year in the AHL after a solid rookie season last year. I expected him to do really well this year and fight for a job on the coyotes in 2016-2017.

He was injured for the better part of the year.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Okay, so we've got...
LW: Domi, Tanguay, Martinook, Chipchura, Sekac, Plotnikov
of the above, I'm guessing Domi, Tanguay, Martinook, and Plotnikov remain with the chance of Chip returning which would move Plotnikov down to healthy scratch

C: Hanzal, Vermette, Gordon, Dauphin
I'm guessing this stays the same (Gordon gets re-signed), but Strome may edge out Dauphin and end up our #3C for 2016-2017 (unless Vermette does poorly again). If Gordon doesn't get re-signed, we're probably looking at Hanzal, Vermette, Strome, Dauphin or they bring in another vet (perhaps Backes, Matthias, Helm, or Fiddler)

RW: Duclair, Rieder, Doan, Richardson,Tikhonov, Sekac
Rieder, Doan, and Richardson will return. Chip could play on the Right if re-signed. Sekac and Tikhonov will probably be gone and Duclair may possibly be moved (we'll have to wait and see on this)

LD: OEL, Grossmann, Connauton, Tinordi, Dahlbeck
OEL, Grossmann, Connauton, and Dahlbeck will return; I imagine Tinordi will be gone. If Grossmann is not re-signed, we would have #2 RD slot to fill with a new acquisition (moving Dahlbeck to the #7)

RD: Murphy, Stone, and Michalek
Murphy and Michalek will most likely be back; Stone could possibly stay, but I'm guessing he'll be moved to provide another D slot even though his value may not be as high. We could then add two d-men if Michalek is moved to #7. I doubt we'll be able to find 2 RHDs

Goalies: Smith, Domingue
I'm hoping both are re-signed, but Somingue could possibly be moved for a more veteran back-up. Even with more say, I don't think Tippett would push to move Domingue; however, Smith is obviously the starter and will probably end up playing around 60 games if he remains healthy next season. Domingue's rights could land us a decent mid-tier player.

Wild Cards: Gaudet, Dvorak, and MacInnis
Gaudet's rights might be moved. I don't think Dvorak will stay up unless he does exceptionally well at camp; however, he might be one of the first LW call-ups. I could see MacInnis being the first C call-up or healthy scratch switched in every once in a while.

So, we will mainly need to boost our D if things don't stray too much form the current plan (for the 2016-2017 season), but we'll have to see

I think the following players are safe for the team next year:

Forwards: Domi, Martinook, Plotnikov, Hanzal, Strome, Vermette, Richardson, Duclair, Rieder, Doan, Dvorak, Gaudet. We will probably add one or two more forwards to give us the wiggle room for injuries, call ups, etc.

Defense: OEL, Murphy, Stone, Michalek. Those are the only four that I honestly feel a level of comfort having on the team, and one of them will likely be out until Thanksgiving timeframe before he is even ready to play in a game. Big upgrades needed here, but if we have as much youth on the team playing their ELCs, we have a lot of room to work with. The question will be if we need to get the d-men via FA or trade.

Goalie: Smith/Domingue. May not hurt to see if we can grab a young AHL/NHL backup type in the meantime. Not liking our depth behind these two.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I think the following players are safe for the team next year:

Forwards: Domi, Martinook, Plotnikov, Hanzal, Strome, Vermette, Richardson, Duclair, Rieder, Doan, Dvorak, Gaudet. We will probably add one or two more forwards to give us the wiggle room for injuries, call ups, etc.

Defense: OEL, Murphy, Stone, Michalek. Those are the only four that I honestly feel a level of comfort having on the team, and one of them will likely be out until Thanksgiving timeframe before he is even ready to play in a game. Big upgrades needed here, but if we have as much youth on the team playing their ELCs, we have a lot of room to work with. The question will be if we need to get the d-men via FA or trade.

Goalie: Smith/Domingue. May not hurt to see if we can grab a young AHL/NHL backup type in the meantime. Not liking our depth behind these two.

I'm already excited for training camp. Who is going to surprise this year?

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA

If they keep Domingue (I'm guessing they will, but Tipp has never seemed like much of a fan of his), we should be okay with Langhamer and Hill (depending on how they improve over the summer--Hill could go Pro although he might be able to play in Juniors one more year as an overager) as call-ups.

I wouldn't rely on Langhamer/Hill if both Smith and Domingue go down; in that case, I'm guessing Tipp could justifiably persuade the new GM to make a move to bring another goalie in via trade (you know he wanted that this season).

My view on Hill is that he should go pro, even if he ends up starting in Rapid City for a while.

I agree that we should look at another AHL goalie, perhaps Tom McCollum, Jeremy Smith, Joe Cannata, or Aaron Dell (all good 26 year-old UFA AHL goalies that may do better than a Troytle if called up).

I suppose there are a few RFAs that we could trade for rights to that wouldn't cost us much: Kristers Gudlevskis, Nathan Lieuwen, Jared Coreau, Mac Carruth, Marek Mazanec, Dustin Tokarski, or Jean-Francois Berube might do well.

Finally, taking a look at undrafted college-graduating goalies might be a good strategy as well.

Mosby

<3 Uncle Gary
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I have to laugh when I see the stuff about Richardson's refusal to play wing. He's Brad Richardson. Who does he think he is? This isn't some "I'm Stamkos and I play centre" thing.

Loui Eriksson is interesting, though I thought he and Tipp weren't on the best of terms.

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
I think our organizational depth sketches out something like this going into the draft lottery. I'm pretty confident Doan and Tanguay come back for another year. I'm guessing one of Tikhonov, Chipchura, Gordon, etc will be brought back for depth too.

Domi-Hanzal-Duclair
Rieder-Strome-Doan
Tanguay-Vermette-???
Martinook-Richardson-Tikhonov
Gaudet

OEL-Murphy
???-Stone
K-Conn-Michalek
Dahlbeck

Smith-Domingue

Carey-Dvorak-H-Sam
Bunting-Dauphin-Thomas
Perlini-Macinnis-Garland
Marcantuoni

P-Sam-???
Hache-Wood
Mermis-Mayo

Treutle-Langhamer-Hill

A win at the draft lottery fills that last forward spot. Or we could probably put Dvorak on Vermette's wing and sign some AHL veteran or just keep Shinnimin as 1C for Tucson.

Mosby

<3 Uncle Gary
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
The revamped AHL squad looks great. Total injection of skill.

You may see the AHL team get a vet goalie to split time with Langhamer. It's also good insurance in case Smith or Louie gets injured. Maloney said that was his intent for next season. Hope that's still the case with the new GM. If so, maybe Turtle goes back to Europe and Hill plays in the WHL as an overager.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->