2016 CIS University Cup (Halifax)

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
SMU 4, UQTR 3 (OT) - The Patriotes are a great team. Can't take anything away from them. But sometimes riding a huge winning streak can bite you at the wrong time (right, V-Reds fans?) UQTR has won 16 straight. Are they due for a loss against a charged-up host team? Also at play - It's possible for UQTR to play down to their opponents (see: 2-1 loss to Ryerson, OT wins vs. Concordia, Brock, Laurentian).

SASK 4, CAR 1 - Just too much from SASK for the Ravens to handle. Carleton is a capable team, but their record against good teams doesn't knock your socks off - including playoffs, the Ravens were 11-8 against teams over .500, but 14-2 against teams at .500 or worse. ConnorMac, you I know I love you buddy, but I'm not sure the Canada West MVP is really that susceptible to an implosion. :) If this is the scoreline, it will flatter Carleton.

St F X 3, Alberta 1 - Either X rides momentum of their defensive effort against UNB, or they fall flat because they've already won their title. I tend to think its the former. And speaking of records against good opponents, Alberta went 11-9 this season against teams at or above .500 (playoffs included).

UNB 5, Western 1 - I don't want to say Western has *no* chance - we all remember Waterloo 2, Alberta 1 - but I think this would be an equal or greater upset if the Stangs pulled this out. The Reds will be angry, but more importantly, they'll be deeper. This could be one of those games that's 2-1 after 2 periods, and then Western runs out of gas.
UNB vs Western
Fact-UNB is 46-1-1 vs the OUA since 2004-5. That only loss came to Western at home in the 2012 Nationals. This came after UNB beat the Mustangs 4-2 in the National final 2009-10, in Thunder Bay.

TFuel

Feb 27, 2013
UQTR over SMU 4 -2 (empty net)
Sask over Carleton - 4 -1
SFX over Alberta 3 - 2
UNB over Western 5 - 2

Finder24

Dec 22, 2015
UQTR 5 SMU 2

Wouldn't surprise me at all if SMU takes charge of this game in the early going, but when UQTR gets hot, it's over. The fifth goal will be an EN.

CAR 4 SASK 3

Carleton's confident and hard-working, and combo which I like against a young team like the Huskies. They won't roll over, but Carleton eeks out a victory in the last 10 minutes.

StFX 2 Alberta 1

Goaltenders duel here. StFX takes the early lead, and lock it down from there despite a push from Alberta.

UNB 7 Western 2

Banged up Western team against a refocused UNB team. Anything can happen, but chances are UNB takes this one home.

northvanman

Jun 4, 2009
Oakville, ON
Is Western going to be missing anyone for Friday's game?

Peter Delmas has not played since the first game to the U of T series and has not been on the bench since game 1 of the Guelph series. Singer mentioned he was injured in a London Free Press article...not sure what it is. Don't think there has been much to choose between him and Dodds anyway, but if he's not back and Dodds gets hurt...

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Tickets for Nationals

I have two tickets available for Thursday afternoon and Friday afternoon.

Sec 10 Row O Seat 1-2

I may have one for Sat and Sunday games.

Bearpaw

Mar 21, 2014
UQTR 5-2: Too much firepower from the Queens Cup Champs;

U of S 4-3: The Huskies are rookies but have a goalie that can steal a game. This game will be penalty filled and special teams will decide the game;

U of A 4-2: Yes, they are in a hostile environment but have played the hosts in the last two University Cups. Siemens has to make a couple of saves for this to happen;

UNB 6-1: Class of the field this year.

Bob Stauffer

Aug 4, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Koper-suspended

FYI...

Golden Bears Head Coach Serge Lajoie verified on "Oilers Now" today that 5th year forward Levko Koper will be suspended for the Bears quarter-final game vs St. FX.
Koper plays LW on the Bears top line with Kruise Reddick and Jordan Hickmott. He has been a point-per-game player over his five years at Alberta and has scored some big goals in the last three years at the University Cup.
Apparently there has been some bad blood between the Bears and Huskies this year, some of which has been driven by the Coaches and kept Saskatchewan-based Convener Wes Smith busy.
My understanding is that based on the initial referee's report Koper was not expected to be suspended.
Evidently something transpired between a week ago Saturday and today when Lajoie appeared on "Oilers Now" from Halifax to preview the University Cup.
From my perspective the Golden Bears have been underwhelming this season with minimal progression from their freshman.
However, when the team needed to elevate in three specific weeks to help secure a berth at the University Cup, the Bears 7 5th years really stepped up.
Obviously Luke Siemens is going to be important between the pipes. He cost the team early in the season IMO.
However his track record in the WHL was that when he got lots of work he could be really good.
I also expect St. FX to come out with a lot of confidence playing in front of a home crowd.
No question the Bears will be the under-dogs.
As for Saskatchewan. It's quite remarkable that their program has not won a National Title under Dave Adolph in his 20 seasons there, given that the Province is seen as a fertile recruiting ground producing some excellent CIS players.
Under Dave Adolph they have been a perennial underachiever at the University Cup level though they did have impressive showings in 2005 in Edmonton and 2014 in Saskatoon, when they lost to the Golden Bears in the Final.
The Huskies best chance to win might have been in 2006.
Golden Bears Head Coach Rob Daum left in August of 2005 to replace Todd McLellan as Head Coach in Houston, AHL. Daum had owned Adolph and the Huskies in his final five seasons at Alberta, winning three National titles in his final seven seasons.
Rookie Head Coach Eric Thurston inherited a very good team and the Bears were hosting the University Cup in 2006-but I think Saskatchewan could have upset Alberta, but alas, after physically crushing a talented Acadia squad the Huskies' spit the bit vs Lakehead in the semi-final.
The Huskies play in a small barn and have traditionally lacked scoring depth, and their teams have often been quite undisciplined come crunch time.
Adolph has a young talented team that doesn't carry that baggage from the past.
I guess we will now in the next 48 hours how the two Canada West teams do in Halifax. It will be interesting.

Cheers,

Stauffer

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
I was at the press conference this morning. All the coaches spoke about their season and introduced their team captains. Not much to note; everyone happy to be there, the other 7 teams are all contenders, the other coaches are all great guys, etc.

Gardiner was the best speaker (as usual). He had a little bio on all the coaches, including Peds. The UNB season was a golf analogy with them playing well until 17 and 18 where they bogeyed both and lost the round. The Nationals were like a Harness race with UNB in the 5 hole. Need to get out fast as 1-4 have the edge. I thought for a moment he would do his "Horse Race" skit. If you have ever seen it, you know what I'm talking about. If not, make every effort to be there when he does it.

Watched a bit of UofA and Sask practice. Great to see Dave Adolph who IMHO is one of the best.
Looking forward to puck drop Thursday afternoon.

northvanman

Jun 4, 2009
Oakville, ON
Anyone know the record for longest University Cup game? Or latest starting University Cup game? Wonder if they reach the point where St. FX and Alberta play tomorrow at 11am?

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
This is now the longest UCup game in history....previous record was the triple OT (total of 43:17 of extra time) game between Western and UQTR in the 2002 Final.

This is obviously a very rare thing that no one could have predicted...but have to believe we will see more than a 4 hour gap between games moving forward.

Last edited:

northvanman

Jun 4, 2009
Oakville, ON
This is now the longest UCup game in history....previous record was the triple OT (total of 43:17 of extra time) game between Western and UQTR in the 2002 Final.

This is obviously a very rare thing that no one could have predicted...but have to believe we will see more than a 4 hour gap between games moving forward.

Carleton has played much better than I expected.

I remember the Western UQTR game well - Stacey Britstone scored the winner

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Ravens have looked good...thought they were the better team through regulation and the first OT...haven't seemed to generate quite as much offence the last couple OT periods though.

leafhky88

Mar 16, 2009
Toronto
Ravens have looked good...thought they were the better team through regulation and the first OT...haven't seemed to generate quite as much offence the last couple OT periods though.

Streamed on and off for the better part of the regulation and first overtime. Saskatchewan in my opinion looked good on the special teams, but 5 on 5 Carleton seemed to carry the play and were likely more physical. I picked Saskatchewan to win before the game, but from my viewing, Carleton looked to be the stronger team today.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
X

Alberta with a 2-0 lead and in control, but X fights back for a 6-2 win.
After X tied it, they forced Alberta to the outside and clogged up the shooting lanes.
Their shot blocking is second to none. If the Bears make it 3-0 , I think that's a different result, but it didn't happen.
Hat's off to Alberta, that's one hell of a program!

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Just got back from the X win over Alberta. Nice crowd on hand. Too many drunks (St. Patty's Day and the late start) but a good atmosphere overall.
Did not expect a 6-2 score for any team before the game. Bears were panicking in the third but could not get another one past Owsely who committed highway robbery a couple of times. Bears also blew a couple of golden changes imho.
I don't fault Siemens but he obviously didn't play good enough.

X has so much momentum right now I would have to say they are big favorites for their game against Saskatchewan on Saturday.

Bob Stauffer

Aug 4, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Congrats to X. Bears program has to be better!

I will give X credit they didn't panic when Alberta got up 2-0,
The Bears on the other hand played as they did most of the season.
They werent sharp around the net. They lacked the requisite structure, process and discipline to beat a really good team from the Atlantic who were basically at home.
As previously stated this year's team never got anywhere near the dominant level of the '14 and '15 teams.
The Bears dream of a three-peat took a big blow back on July 14th!
Now Serge Lajoie must take ownership of the situation. And learn from tonight's dissapointment!
Fully expect an UNB-X final now cheers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad