2016 CIS University Cup (Halifax)

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
Well, as we approach the end of the playoffs, may as well have a dedicated thread for the 2016 University Cup.

54th University Cup

Arena: Scotiabank Centre (formally Metro Centre)
Date: March 17th - 20th
Host: St. Mary's University (Huskies)
Number of Teams: 8 (Top 2 AUS, Top 2 CW, Top 3 OUA and host)

Teams we know of so far
SMU (host)
UNB (AUS Finalist)
SFX (AUS Finalist)
USK (CW Finalist)
ALB (CW Finalist)

3 of the following four(4) will attend
CAR - OUA East Finalist
UQT - OUA East Finalist
UWO - OUA West Finalist
GPH - OUA West Finalist

St. Mary's has elected to play Friday night. However, it is not known yet if that will be the Top or Bottom half of the brackets (due to UNB possible being #1 which would move SMU to seed #7 rather than their expect seed of #8).

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
So if everything goes to plan (ie/ all the favourites win) I could see the UCup looking like this:

#1 UNB vs. #8 Carleton
#4 Western vs. #5 Alberta

#2 UQTR vs. #7 SMU
#3 Saskatchewan vs. #6 St. FX

I could easily see UQTR/Sask flip-flopping depending on how they make out during the rest of the playoffs but either way, it's quite possible we are going to get some interesting match-ups that haven't happened in recent memory.

If the top seeds continue to win than I agree that this is likely what the tournament will look like.

UNB has a tough game vs Carleton who are tough #8. UNB has never lost to Carleton (3-0), but there is always a first time.

USK and SFX would be a good game. Might be tough for USK as it will be an afternoon match-up.

Round 2
UNB vs Alberta
UQTR vs SFX

Finals
UNB vs UQTR (UNB wins 6th title)

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
MEN’S HOCKEY
(regular season / playoff records) / votes (first-place votes) / (previous ranking)

NOTE: Voting for this week’s men’s hockey Top 10 closed on Monday before the start of Game 1 of the AUS final (StFX 3, UNB 2). In order to avoid confusion however, StFX and UNB’s playoff records include that result from Monday night.

1. UNB (23-3-2 / 3-1) / 160 points (16) / (1)
2. UQTR (24-3-1 / 6-0) / 137 / (2)
3. Saskatchewan (22-6-0 / 4-0) / 135 / (3)
4. StFX (18-6-4 / 4-1) / 105 / (5)
5. Alberta (19-7-2 / 2-2) / 94 / (4)
6. Western (18-10-0 / 6-2) / 70 / (8)
7. Carleton (20-7-1 / 4-2) / 65 / (6)
8. Saint Mary’s (17-8-3 / 3-3) / 55 / (7)
9. Guelph (16-11-1 / 5-4) / 38 / (9)
10. McGill (21-6-1 / 2-2) / 10 / (10)

Other teams receiving votes: UPEI (5), Acadia (4), Mount Royal (2).

Still several scenarios here. If SFX wins the series can they get 30+ more points to overtake Sask or UQTR?

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
Still several scenarios here. If SFX wins the series can they get 30+ more points to overtake Sask or UQTR?

If SFX wins the series over UNB, I can't see them jump past either UQTR or USK given they have the worst record of the three and don't have 20wins (unless UQTR loses).

I would expect UQTR / USK / SFX / UWO (if UQTR wins Queen's Cup)
or
I would expect USK / SFX / UWO / UQTR (if UWO wins Queen's Cup)

with the bottom four as UNB / ALB / CAR-GPH / SMU

Dutch

May 17, 2006
Trois-Rivières
Voters have never been too keen on voting for UQTR, especially as no journalist in Quebec votes for the top-10. I wouldn't be surprised if Saskatchewan jumps over UQTR or UNB stays first, even if UQTR wins the Queen's Cup.

SuperSquirrel

Aug 28, 2008
If SFX wins the series over UNB, I can't see them jump past either UQTR or USK given they have the worst record of the three and don't have 20wins (unless UQTR loses).

I would expect UQTR / USK / SFX / UWO (if UQTR wins Queen's Cup)
or
I would expect USK / SFX / UWO / UQTR (if UWO wins Queen's Cup)

with the bottom four as UNB / ALB / CAR-GPH / SMU

OK... so now that UNB has lost (crap), and assuming UQTR beats Western, I would expect the rankings for Nationals to be...

1. UQTR
2. Sask
3. X
4. Western
5. UNB
6. Alberta
7. Carleton or Guelph
8. SMU

This to me would make the most sense based on the most current CIS rankings but someone was telling me they thought Sask and Alberta couldn't be in the same pool. Is it possible they would be separated? If so, how would the rankings work? Of course if Western wins this is all irrelevant.

Bob Stauffer

Aug 4, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
So it will come down to Western/UQTR.

If UQTR wins

#1. UQTR
#2. Saskatchewan
#3. X
#4. UNB
#5. Alberta
#6. Western
#7. Carleton/Guelph
#8. Saint Mary's

But if Western wins?

#1. Saskatchewan
#2. X
#3. Western
#4. UNB
#5. UQTR
#6. Alberta
#7. Carleton/Guelph
#8. Saint Mary's

In either scenario you don't have teams from the same Conferences meeting in the quarter-finals.

Cheers.

Stauffer

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
I wonder when the organizers would prefer X plays? SMU will obviously be playing on Friday night. Last year Acadia played Friday afternoon. X is AUS champ though. You think they would want to play Thursday night like UNB did last year. Better than playing three days in a row.

Last years 4 vs 5 was on Friday afternoon so I am already assuming that's when UNB will play.

SuperSquirrel

Aug 28, 2008
So it will come down to Western/UQTR.

If UQTR wins

#1. UQTR
#2. Saskatchewan
#3. X
#4. UNB
#5. Alberta
#6. Western
#7. Carleton/Guelph
#8. Saint Mary's

But if Western wins?

#1. Saskatchewan
#2. X
#3. Western
#4. UNB
#5. UQTR
#6. Alberta
#7. Carleton/Guelph
#8. Saint Mary's

In either scenario you don't have teams from the same Conferences meeting in the quarter-finals.

Cheers.

Stauffer

I'm pretty sure the #4 seed must go to the loser of the UQTR/Western game. UNB can be no higher than 5th.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
I'm pretty sure the #4 seed must go to the loser of the UQTR/Western game. UNB can be no higher than 5th.

Concur.

#1. UQTR
#2. Saskatchewan
#3. SFX
#4. UWO
#5. UNB
#6. Alberta
#7. Carleton/Guelph
#8. Saint Mary's

#1. Saskatchewan
#2. SFX
#3. UWO
#4. UQTR
#5. UNB
#6. Alberta
#7. Carleton/Guelph
#8. Saint Mary's

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
I wonder when the organizers would prefer X plays? SMU will obviously be playing on Friday night. Last year Acadia played Friday afternoon. X is AUS champ though. You think they would want to play Thursday night like UNB did last year. Better than playing three days in a row.

Last years 4 vs 5 was on Friday afternoon so I am already assuming that's when UNB will play.

Yep. UNB will most likely be in with SMU, and the Huskies are playing Friday night, so UNB will be Friday afternoon. So they'll have to go 3 in 3 to win.

I imagine X will play Thursday night.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Concur.

#1. UQTR
#2. Saskatchewan
#3. SFX
#4. UWO
#5. UNB
#6. Alberta
#7. Carleton/Guelph
#8. Saint Mary's

#1. Saskatchewan
#2. SFX
#3. UWO
#4. UQTR
#5. UNB
#6. Alberta
#7. Carleton/Guelph
#8. Saint Mary's

This is how I see it as well. As much as they would probably like to avoid the two CW teams being in the same pool (scenario #1)....I don't think they can make it work while maintaining the integrity of the rankings. For example, I don't think Alberta should be ahead of UNB, but it wouldn't be fair to put OUA 3rd or SMU ahead of them.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
From an attendance perspective, SFX should play Thursday night. They would draw more fans than would UNB in the same time slot.

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
Using the final OHT36, and adjusting for playoffs, I would have this:

1. Sask
2. St. FX
3. UQTR/UWO winner
4. UQTR/UWO loser
5. UNB
6. Alberta
7. Saint Mary's
8. Carleton/Guelph winner

7 and 8 would have to switch so as to avoid intra-conference matchups, leaving us with this:

Thursday afternoon: St. FX v Carleton/Guelph winner
Thursday night: UQTR/UWO winner v Alberta

Friday afternoon: UQTR/UWO loser v UNB
Friday night: Sask v Saint Mary's

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
From an attendance perspective, SFX should play Thursday night. They would draw more fans than would UNB in the same time slot.

I think the ideal set-up strictly from an attendance POV would be St. FX on Thursday night, SMU on Friday night, and UNB on Friday afternoon (might get some people taking afternoon/whole day off to drive down for their game, which would be more likely on a Friday than a Thursday)

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Using the final OHT36, and adjusting for playoffs, I would have this:

1. Sask
2. St. FX
3. UQTR/UWO winner
4. UQTR/UWO loser
5. UNB
6. Alberta
7. Saint Mary's
8. Carleton/Guelph winner

7 and 8 would have to switch so as to avoid intra-conference matchups, leaving us with this:

Thursday afternoon: St. FX v Carleton/Guelph winner
Thursday night: UQTR/UWO winner v Alberta

Friday afternoon: UQTR/UWO loser v UNB
Friday night: Sask v Saint Mary's

I like this draw as it separates the same-conference teams nicely....but the only way I see it happening is if Western beats UQTR. I can't see UQTR winning the OUA and falling behind Sask and X in the rankings when they were ahead of them this week.

Most years we can predict with almost 100% accuracy what the pools will look like, but this year it might be a less of a sure-thing. St. FX beating UNB really opened up a few different options. It will be interesting to see what the committee does.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
UNB's loss has certainly opened the door for USK to jump to #1.

2. (137 pts) UQTR (24-3-1 / 6-0)
3. (135 pts) USK (22-6-0 / 4-0)

2pts isn't a lot, it's just 1 of 16 flipping a vote and you're tied at 136.

With UNB getting all #1 votes this week it only left 9s & 8s for UQTR and USK. The best combination to get 137 and 135 are...
137 = 9x 9s + 7x 8s
135 = 7x 9s + 9x 8s

So, I don't know if UQTR would hold onto the 9 voters who have them as #2. You only need one to defect and USK is 1st. SFX may also steal some #1s from both making it a tight race for 1st.

I would think that UNB is relegated to #5. It's a matter of determining if ALB is a better conf. Runner-up or UNB. I would lean towards UNB (better record).

The bottom four are easier to determine

If UQTR wins...
UQTR - USK - SFX - UWO | UNB - ALB - CAR/GPH - SMU
Bot Draw (Thu): USK vs CAR/GPH & ALB vs SFX
Top Draw (Fri): UNB vs UWO & SMU vs UQTR

This could setup an all-AUS Semi & all-CW semi. Keeping lower half draw swaps to just neighbors...
- you can't swap ALB/UNB as that creates UNB-v-SFX
- you can't swap ALB/OUA as that creates ALB-v-USK
- you can't swap OUA/SMU as that creates OUA-v-UQTR
So, that's just what you get, the potential for an all conf semi is the trade-off for avoiding conf. match-ups in the first round. Also - if UNB was seeded as low as #6, they would likely move to 5th anyways to avoid a first round SFX match-up.

If UWO wins...
USK - SFX - UWO - UQTR | UNB - ALB - CAR/GPH - SMU
Bot Draw (Thu): ALB vs UWO & SFX vs CAR/GPH
Top Draw (Fri): UNB vs UQTR & SMU vs USK

This is a good draw (AUS & CW split over top & bottom), but UWO has to win over UQTR.

Dutch

May 17, 2006
Trois-Rivières
I've been told from Marc-Étienne Hubert that the last poll isn't actually a media poll. #1-2-3 must go to league champions, depending on where they were when the last media poll was made. So, 1st place votes won't matter anymore.

If UQTR wins, they're #1. They lose, then it's Sask, StFx, UWO.

Last edited:

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Are you saying that the poll on Saturday will have no bearing on seeding? If UQTR wins on Saturday and the voters give them 135 and give Sask 138 you are saying that UQTR will still be the #1 seed?

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
The last Poll is not a media published poll, but is still a documented top 10 list and counts towards a teams total ranking weeks.

My take on this - the order of the top 3 can't change in the Seeding Poll from the last published Media Poll provided the teams in the top spots don't lose their respective conference championships.

This makes sense - if they were 1-2-3 this week and you remove #1 than you have already decided that the order of 2-3 becomes 1-2. However it means you can not reward SFX for winning over UNB.

It would be a real pain to enforce/control/check that the voters are really sticking with the order they went with the previous week for the Top 10 Committee Chariman, but not impossible.

I think this is moot as I've picked UQTR to win the QCup and remain #1 followed by USK - SFX & UWO for the top 4.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
But will there be a published media poll tomorrow, after the OUA has wrapped up? And then the unpublished poll sometime between Saturday and Sunday (when the schedule is announced). Or was this past Tuesday's media poll the last one of the year?

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
It seems that last weeks ranking was the last "official" one. A vote will take place Saturday after OUA has finished, but, as Drummer said will only count towards team total. The 3 Conference Champions will be seeded according to last weeks ranking.
Last week:
1. UNB
2. UQTR
3. Saskatchewan
4. StFX
6. Western

UNB is done so 2,3,4,6 (are for the moment) 1,2,3,4. If UQTR loses, they are done and 2,3,4 become 1,2,3.

The seeding/bracket/schedule for hockey will be announced by CIS on Sunday at 1 pm EST. Stay tuned to this thread for news.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad