2016 CIS University Cup (Halifax)

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
I see it as being quite unlikely, but could you imagine the attendance for an X/SMU final? I remember a few years ago when they drew 5K+ to the Forum for game 5 of one of their playoff series.

St. FX has a very strong alumni following so if they can go on a run that would really help the numbers I would think.

I took Friday off....I'm almost tempted to make the drive over for the UNB game. Will probably depend on how I'm feeling after St. Patrick's Day though.

Hopefully the weather cooperates more than last year.

Last edited:

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Seedings and matchups

The UCup seedings have been announced:

SEEDING

1. UQTR Patriotes (OUA champions: 24-3-1 regular season / 7-0 playoffs)
2. Saskatchewan Huskies (CWUAA champions: 22-6-0 regular season / 4-0 playoffs)
3. StFX X-Men (AUS champions: 18-6-4 regular season / 5-1 playoffs)
4. Western Mustangs (OUA finalists: 18-10-0 regular season / 6-3 playoffs)
5. UNB Varsity Reds (AUS finalists: 23-3-2 regular season / 3-2 playoffs)
6. Alberta Golden Bears (CWUAA finalists: 19-7-2 regular season / 2-2 playoffs)
7. Carleton Ravens (OUA bronze medallists: 20-7-1 regular season / 5-2 playoffs)
8. Saint Mary’s Huskies (Hosts: 17-8-3 regular season / 3-3 playoffs)

CHAMPIONSHIP SCHEDULE (all times ATLANTIC TIME)

Wednesday, March 16
7:55-17:15 60-minute practices OPEN TO MEDIA (Scotiabank Centre)
11:00 Meet the Teams Media Conference (Scotiabank Centre)
18:30 All-Canadian Dinner & Gala (Halifax Marriott Harbourfront Hotel)

Thursday, March 17
16:00 Quarter-final 1: No. 7 Carleton vs. No. 2 Saskatchewan (Eastlink TV / www.CIS-SIC.tv)
20:00 Quarter-final 2: No. 6 Alberta vs. No. 3 StFX (Eastlink TV / www.CIS-SIC.tv)

Friday, March 18
16:00 Quarter-final 3: No. 5 UNB vs. No. 4 Western (Eastlink TV / www.CIS-SIC.tv)
20:00 Quarter-final 4: No. 8 Saint Mary’s vs. No. 1 UQTR (Eastlink TV / www.CIS-SIC.tv)

Saturday, March 19
12:00 Semifinal 1: Winner QF 1 vs. Winner QF 2 (SN 360 & TVA Sports / www.CIS-SIC.tv) *
16:00 Semifinal 2: Winner QF 3 vs. Winner QF 4 (SN 360 & TVA Sports / www.CIS-SIC.tv) *

Sunday, March 20
14:00 Bronze (Eastlink TV / www.CIS-SIC.tv)
18:30 Final (Sportsnet 360 & TVA Sports 2 / www.CIS-SIC.tv) *

* Webcast of the semifinals & final are on pay-per-view basis.

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Tough draw for X, but Bob Stauffer thinks it is winnable for X.

Good draw for UNB. V-Reds have to be careful to not look past the Mustangs. Nice grudge match from a few years ago.

Tough draw for SMU. I think Huskies can beat UQTR if they have all their parts, but is everyone healthy?

Sask should take Carleton, but I expect this to be a very physical game.

connor macdavid

Press Box Rat
Dec 24, 2008
Ottawa
(2) Sask - (7) Carleton: will be physical muck-fest, but I like Carleton's chances as the underdog. Sask's key contributors are rookies, including standout goalie Jordon Cooke, so could be susceptible to an implosion. Then again, Sask is really frickin' good. So is Carleton. Agh.. 2-1 Carleton

(3) StFX - (6) Alberta: StFX obviously impressed during AUS playoffs, but I can't bring myself to bet against the Golden Bears, even on the road in a hostile environment against a hometown team. 5-3 'Berta

(4) Western - (5) UNB: Western is good, but not nearly as good as UNB. With the V-Reds' top-to-bottom pace, I don't think Western will hang around in this game very long, especially if goalie Dodds has one of his 'ugh' games. This one could turn into a slaughter. 6-1 UNB

(1) UQTR - (8) Saint Mary's: We all love the hometown underdog, but this cinderella story just isn't happening. UQTR is firing on all cylinders offensively (keep an eye on rookies Lemay and Poudrier, both having breakout playoffs), and SMU just won't be able to hang with them if the Pats find their top gear early. 5-0 UQTR

Finder24

Dec 22, 2015
I'm told by SMU that Steven Beyers is likely done for the entire University Cup. They still believe that Johnston may be back in time.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Might as well start a predictions contest...with the winner receiving nothing more than bragging rights.

For the quarter-finals 1 point for correctly predicting the winning team + 1 bonus point for predicting the score.

Then for the semi-finals we will do 2 points + 1 and for the finals 3 points + 1.

My predictions:

UQTR over SMU 5-2
Saskatchewan over Carleton 3-2
Alberta over St. FX 4-3
UNB over Western 4-1

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Only 4 hours between games this year. That is cutting it pretty close.

Yep, last year was 1PM and 7PM....wonder if they made the early games at 4PM this year for attendance purposes.

Doesn't really leave much wiggle room...even a game going into OT might really throw things off.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
(2) Sask - (7) Carleton: will be physical muck-fest, but I like Carleton's chances as the underdog. Sask's key contributors are rookies, including standout goalie Jordon Cooke, so could be susceptible to an implosion. Then again, Sask is really frickin' good. So is Carleton. Agh.. 2-1 Carleton

Cooke is in his 2nd year I believe, but either way, it will be his first appearance at Nationals.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada

(3) StFX - (6) Alberta: StFX obviously impressed during AUS playoffs, but I can't bring myself to bet against the Golden Bears, even on the road in a hostile environment against a hometown team. 5-3 'Berta

(4) Western - (5) UNB: Western is good, but not nearly as good as UNB. With the V-Reds' top-to-bottom pace, I don't think Western will hang around in this game very long, especially if goalie Dodds has one of his 'ugh' games. This one could turn into a slaughter. 6-1 UNB

(1) UQTR - (8) Saint Mary's: We all love the hometown underdog, but this cinderella story just isn't happening. UQTR is firing on all cylinders offensively (keep an eye on rookies Lemay and Poudrier, both having breakout playoffs), and SMU just won't be able to hang with them if the Pats find their top gear early. 5-0 UQTR
SMU is better than you think.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
SMU is better than you think.

Remember we all thought a 3rd place X team was going to give #1 Alberta a run last year as well...

Now I don't think UQTR is going to beat SMU 5-0, but while we still like to brag up the AUS, the conference isn't as dominant on the national stage as they used to be. It wouldn't overly surprise me if the Patriotes have things under control for most of the game (especially if SMU is missing a number of key pieces).

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Yep, last year was 1PM and 7PM....wonder if they made the early games at 4PM this year for attendance purposes.

Doesn't really leave much wiggle room...even a game going into OT might really throw things off.

My guess is it has to do with Sportsnet.

If a game goes into double OT the next game will be delayed for sure.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
My guess is it has to do with Sportsnet.

If a game goes into double OT the next game will be delayed for sure.

Oh sorry...I was talking about the Thurs/Fri games (ie/ non-SN games). They were at 1PM and 7PM last year...4PM and 8PM this year

Last year the Saturday games (ie/ the SN games) were also at 12PM and 4PM, so no change there this year.

Anyone know if CHSR is doing the tournament this year?

Last edited:

Bob Stauffer

Aug 4, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
I have a feeling this is going to be a bad tournament for the Canada West. When coaches allow 10% of the crap to take up 90% of their time it undermines their team's success.
Saskatchewan's best performances at Nationals have been in the West (Edmonton-2005, Saskatoon-2014).
Saskatchewan vs Carleton
I see the Ravens gutting out a win with the Huskies struggling with being a tournament favorite.
St. FX vs Alberta
The Golden Bears are 2-time reigning champs, but havent played anywhere near the level this season that they did last March. X is better than they were last year.
Only way Alberta wins is if their 5th years really step and Luke Siemens plays really well.
X Wins!
UNB vs Western
Won't be close. Don't care what happened in AUS Final. V'Reds have the best team. UNB blows out the the Mustangs.
UQTR vs Saint Mary's
If the Atlantic Huskies were healthy I'd have them winning this game. They are not. UQTR in an unimpressive fashion squeaks out a win.

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Oh sorry...I was talking about the Thurs/Fri games (ie/ non-SN games). They were at 1PM and 7PM last year...4PM and 8PM this year

Last year the Saturday games (ie/ the SN games) were also at 12PM and 4PM, so no change there this year.

Anyone know if CHSR is doing the tournament this year?

Yes, CHSR-FM is broadcasting live all of the games back to Fredericton.

STUTOMMIES

Jul 23, 2008
Fredericton
If SMU were healthy I would pick the Huskies but they aren't. UQTR is good enough to be Queens Cup champs, good for a win over the host this year. 5 - 2 UQTR.

Western has played underdog winner before against the Squirrels but that isn't going to happen this year against a good UNB team. If UNB opens the flood gates in the first 10 minutes look for a 6 - 1 or 7 - 2 win. If the Stangs can get a little luck early look for a closer game but the same outcome. Still a Squirrel win 5 - 3 or 5 - 4.

I like X. I want to pick X after their AUS ship. Can't do it. Alberta may not be as good as last year but they are still the Bears. Alberta 4 - 3 OT.

Look at the Jr A talent on Sask showing how good those western leagues really are. They play like you want your guys to play. I didn't think they had a first place/CW championship team so I won't under estimate them now. Ravens play it tight but they will self destruct in the third period and blame the refs, 3 -1 Dogs.

VRedsRule

Aug 26, 2008
Uqtr offense exploits SMU average goaltending for 5-2 win.

Huskies grind out 2-1 win over ravens.

X outshot and outplayed by Bears but win 3-2 in most exciting match of QF.

Unb's propensity for bad penalties and defensive gaffes despite controlling play on full display, but Reds hold on for 4-3 win despite a major advantage on shot clock.

Antigonowhere

Mar 10, 2016
The Little Vatican
I'm pretty frigging daft at picking numbers, as evidenced by my results with Lotto Max, but here goes:

UQTR over SMU: health is always the biggest issue this time of year, it can trump home ice in a hurry.

Saskatchewan over Carleton because any bunch of mofos surviving the Saskatchefrig winter have to be tough hombres. I'm not entirely joking. They ain't a favourite for nothing, but, admittedly, I know the least about these two squads and make no apologies for it - but I had to make a pick, so I makes one.

X over U of A because it's 2016. No, really, I saw X play in game 2 of the AUS final and they are some hard working beasts. Blue collar animals. This is one where the home crowd can have an effect. However, if they come in too high on their press, or listening to the crowd too closely, or not taking the Bears seriously from the warmup then they will get stung, hard.

UNB takes Western: I expect the last week has been about some pretty deep reflection for the V Reds. The loss to X had to suck pretty hard. They have analyzed their mistakes and will be on point for puck drop. It's called "motivation", Cecil.

AdamMcg83

Oct 12, 2011
www.twitter.com
SMU 4, UQTR 3 (OT) - The Patriotes are a great team. Can't take anything away from them. But sometimes riding a huge winning streak can bite you at the wrong time (right, V-Reds fans?) UQTR has won 16 straight. Are they due for a loss against a charged-up host team? Also at play - It's possible for UQTR to play down to their opponents (see: 2-1 loss to Ryerson, OT wins vs. Concordia, Brock, Laurentian).

SASK 4, CAR 1 - Just too much from SASK for the Ravens to handle. Carleton is a capable team, but their record against good teams doesn't knock your socks off - including playoffs, the Ravens were 11-8 against teams over .500, but 14-2 against teams at .500 or worse. ConnorMac, you I know I love you buddy, but I'm not sure the Canada West MVP is really that susceptible to an implosion. :) If this is the scoreline, it will flatter Carleton.

St F X 3, Alberta 1 - Either X rides momentum of their defensive effort against UNB, or they fall flat because they've already won their title. I tend to think its the former. And speaking of records against good opponents, Alberta went 11-9 this season against teams at or above .500 (playoffs included).

UNB 5, Western 1 - I don't want to say Western has *no* chance - we all remember Waterloo 2, Alberta 1 - but I think this would be an equal or greater upset if the Stangs pulled this out. The Reds will be angry, but more importantly, they'll be deeper. This could be one of those games that's 2-1 after 2 periods, and then Western runs out of gas.

Bob Stauffer

Aug 4, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Re: Waterloo 2 -Alberta 1

Back in 2013 in Saskatoon, Waterloo was out shot 43-13 and had 2 even-strength shots and the Bears hit 4 posts!
That's the game.
Anything can happen

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
SMU 4, UQTR 3 (OT) - The Patriotes are a great team. Can't take anything away from them. But sometimes riding a huge winning streak can bite you at the wrong time (right, V-Reds fans?) UQTR has won 16 straight. Are they due for a loss against a charged-up host team? Also at play - It's possible for UQTR to play down to their opponents (see: 2-1 loss to Ryerson, OT wins vs. Concordia, Brock, Laurentian).

SASK 4, CAR 1 - Just too much from SASK for the Ravens to handle. Carleton is a capable team, but their record against good teams doesn't knock your socks off - including playoffs, the Ravens were 11-8 against teams over .500, but 14-2 against teams at .500 or worse. ConnorMac, you I know I love you buddy, but I'm not sure the Canada West MVP is really that susceptible to an implosion. :) If this is the scoreline, it will flatter Carleton.

St F X 3, Alberta 1 - Either X rides momentum of their defensive effort against UNB, or they fall flat because they've already won their title. I tend to think its the former. And speaking of records against good opponents, Alberta went 11-9 this season against teams at or above .500 (playoffs included).

UNB 5, Western 1 - I don't want to say Western has *no* chance - we all remember Waterloo 2, Alberta 1 - but I think this would be an equal or greater upset if the Stangs pulled this out. The Reds will be angry, but more importantly, they'll be deeper. This could be one of those games that's 2-1 after 2 periods, and then Western runs out of gas.

X will work hard, that is their trademark, Owsley can be spotty sometimes, but if he's on his game, they are tough to beat. Expect a physical push from the X-Men. Remember last year when StFX came out with a lot of energy and established a physical edge, but had nothing in the tank for the 2'nd and 3'rd period, that's when Alberta took over with skill and speed. I see X coming out with the same approach, lots of energy, establish a physical edge, try and get a lead and defend to the perimeter.
Not an easy task, against Alberta.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad