2016 CIS University Cup (Halifax)

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
I assume UNB is about as healthy as you could expect this time of year given everyone but Caissy has played in the playoffs (unless someone went down in game 2 against X that I didn't notice).

Bob Stauffer

Aug 4, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Was unaware that the OUA runner-up is guaranteed the #4 seed at the University Cup. Yet another illustration of the CIS pandering to Ontario. I get the desire of avoiding a Queen's Cup re-match in the quarter-finals of the University Cup, but still.
The whole Queen's Cup played in Ontario thing also makes no sense, are the Quebec teams in their League or not?
Though UQTR beat Western in London easily this season 5-2, wouldn't surprise me in the least if Western won tonight.
However, if UQTR wins there is no way Western should be seeded ahead of both UNB and Alberta.
Likely won't matter I see an AUS University Cup Champion!

Cheers,

Stauffer

leafhky88

Mar 16, 2009
Toronto
It may not make sense to have say Western (if they lose) seeded as #4 and a team such as UNB seeded #5. If they were to play at Nationals, UNB would likely be the favourites in most people's eyes. However, I am not really sure the game would be much different if UNB was awarded #4 and Western #5 for example.

Say Western wins and gets the #3 seed and UQTR gets the #4 seed, and they end up playing UNB and Alberta as seeds #5 and #6, would the tournament be that much different if instead UNB and Alberta were #3 and #4?

I may not understand the setup however.

Last edited:

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
"However, if UQTR wins there is no way Western should be seeded ahead of both UNB and Alberta."

I see your point, Bob. But if your wish came true, UWO would be #6, UNB #4 and UofA #5. That would make for a dandy opening game.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
Queens Cup

3-1 Western after 2.
And by the way, I totally agree that it's time that they award the Queen's Cup to the team with the highest point total. That's a joke that UQTR isn't hosting that game!

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
UQTR wins 4-3 in OT.

So it is likely we see:

Thursday afternoon - #2 Saskatchewan vs. #7 Carleton
Thursday night - #3 St. FX vs. #6 Alberta

Friday afternoon - #4 Western vs. #5 UNB
Friday night - #1 UQTR vs. #8 SMU

I'm still of the belief that it would be better to keep the upper and lower part of the bracket grouped together by time slot (like the 6 team format) than by day (like they did last year). Under the old format the #1 and #2 teams could play Thursday and potentially get Friday off (plus all of the games between teams in the same pool/bracket would be in the same timeslot)....under this set-up you are forcing #1 UQTR to play 3 days in 3 games + you could see teams play an afternoon/night game one day and then a night/afternoon game. For example, last year UNB played Thursday night/early Saturday afternoon/Sunday night.

Ideally, I would prefer to see:

Thursday afternoon - #2 Saskatchewan vs. #7 Carleton
Thursday night - #1 UQTR vs. #8 SMU

Friday afternoon - #3 St. FX vs. #6 Alberta
Friday night - #4 Western vs. #5 UNB

Of course, the host team's ability to pick when they want to play can always throw that ideal out the window, as it would this year with SMU choosing to play on Friday night.

Last edited:

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
Was unaware that the OUA runner-up is guaranteed the #4 seed at the University Cup. Yet another illustration of the CIS pandering to Ontario. I get the desire of avoiding a Queen's Cup re-match in the quarter-finals of the University Cup, but still.
The whole Queen's Cup played in Ontario thing also makes no sense, are the Quebec teams in their League or not?
Though UQTR beat Western in London easily this season 5-2, wouldn't surprise me in the least if Western won tonight.
However, if UQTR wins there is no way Western should be seeded ahead of both UNB and Alberta.
Likely won't matter I see an AUS University Cup Champion!

Cheers,

Stauffer

I know what you mean. It seems that CIS rules are unprincipled and come down to whatever most favours the OUA.

Freddy Beach

Jun 14, 2013
I know what you mean. It seems that CIS rules are unprincipled and come down to whatever most favours the OUA.

How does voting work in the cis is it one vote per school? If it is no wonder rules favour the Oua because they hold power in the number of schools in their conference.

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
Basketball Rules

What if the CIS tried to apply the same principles for all nationals?

Well, the teams with berths would be:

Saskatchewan, Alberta
UQTR, W. Ontario
St. F.X., New Brunswick
Saint Mary's

The last berth would be "at large" and would be based on rankings. Possibilities would be:

Mount Royal, Calgary
Carleton, Guelph
U.P.E.I.

After considering all rankings, it would have to go to Mount Royal.

Then to the rankings we go. There is no automatic seed rule, except that conference champions must be within the top 6. So, I would say (without doing a full-fledged OHT36):

1 New Brunsiwick
2 Saskatchewan
3 St. F.X.
4 U.Q.T.R.
5 Alberta
6 Saint Mary's
7 Mount Royal
8 Western Ontario

Thursday
aft UNB v UWO
eve UQTR v Alberta

Friday
aft Sask v MRU
eve SFX v SMU

Note there would be no restriction on intra-conference match-ups. And note that western teams would not play the early game on Thursday.

leafhky88

Mar 16, 2009
Toronto

This rule awards Western the #4 seed and likely the advantage of playing UNB (a team coming off 5 straight rankings at #1 in the CIS top ten) first round in an AUS hosted nationals.

I personally don't see this as an easy draw for the Mustangs.

If this rule weren't in place, UNB and Alberta would likely be #4 and #5 (with Western #6) and playing each other. I actually think this rule actually gives UNB a more favourable first round matchup.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
Smu

Beyers, Johnston, Brooks, Shipley, Maynard, to name a few. Some will be back, others will not.
Wow, does this mean a short bench for Nationals? That's a totally different lineup with those guys healthy.
SMU was looking very good coming down the stretch, but the injury situation has been crippling them all year.
Johnston alone, is a big blow!

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
University Cup

This rule awards Western the #4 seed and likely the advantage of playing UNB (a team coming off 5 straight rankings at #1 in the CIS top ten) first round in an AUS hosted nationals.

I personally don't see this as an easy draw for the Mustangs.

If this rule weren't in place, UNB and Alberta would likely be #4 and #5 (with Western #6) and playing each other. I actually think this rule actually gives UNB a more favourable first round matchup.

For UNB, I don't see any home ice advantage playing in Halifax. It's like Alberta playing in Saskatoon. More fans would rather see UNB out, instead of in. SMU or X are going to get the crowd support, no question.
UNB had some fans make thieir way to Halifax last year, but had little impact in a rink that seats under 11,000. It's a 5 hour drive from Fredericton to Halifax and a single knockout tournament
Possible UNB vs Western
Despite the ranking's, I would think that the V-Reds will be heavily favoured over Western. But, as we saw in Freddy back in 2012 , an upset can and will happen in this single elimination tournament.
Despite X winning the AUS, Alberta is the team with the bullseye on their back.
Possible Alberta X match up.
X is better than the team that played the Bears to e tee in the first period last year. That X team was completely dominated in the last 2 periods of that game, despite having the energy of a big home crowd. Alberta has lost impact players in Foster, Craige and Mucha, but the rest of that powerhouse that has won back to back titles is intact.
Peddle is so accustomed to playing UNB, that he knows the defensive match up's that he needs to give X a chance to win. He doesn't have the advantage of having seen Alberta, so the match up's will not be as easy. If Alberta weathers the early push, like they did last year, I think that their skill and skating game takes over.
possible SMU vs UQTR
This year, UQTR is for real. Solid goaltending and an overall upgrade last year.
SMU is certainly capable of knocking off the Pats, but it will be tough playing without several good players. With the graduation of the league's best goaltender (Anthony Peters), I don't know if the Huskies have the goaltending to win 3 games at nationals. They are well coached and have beaten UNB and X this year. SMU, like X are very good at keeping skilled teams to the perimeter and very effecient on the counter attack. Steinburgh runs a very good pp. The Pats will have to play at their very best to advance from this game!
possible Saskatchewan vs Carelton
Advantage goes to the Huskies. Their team is young,skilled and has solid goaltending.
They beat the two time champs two straight in the CanadaWest final and finished first in the regular season, in a competitive West conference.
I think that their pressure game will be too much for the Ravens to handle.

Bob Stauffer

Aug 4, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
SEEDING

1. UQTR Patriotes (OUA champions: 24-3-1 regular season / 7-0 playoffs)
2. Saskatchewan Huskies (CWUAA champions: 22-6-0 regular season / 4-0 playoffs)
3. StFX X-Men (AUS champions: 18-6-4 regular season / 5-1 playoffs)
4. Western Mustangs (OUA finalists: 18-10-0 regular season / 6-3 playoffs)
5. UNB Varsity Reds (AUS finalists: 23-3-2 regular season / 3-2 playoffs)
6. Alberta Golden Bears (CWUAA finalists: 19-7-2 regular season / 2-2 playoffs)
7. Carleton Ravens (OUA bronze medallists: 20-7-1 regular season / 5-2 playoffs)
8. Saint Mary’s Huskies (Hosts: 17-8-3 regular season / 3-3 playoffs)

CHAMPIONSHIP SCHEDULE (all times ATLANTIC TIME)

Wednesday, March 16
7:55-17:15 60-minute practices OPEN TO MEDIA (Scotiabank Centre)
11:00 Meet the Teams Media Conference (Scotiabank Centre)
18:30 All-Canadian Dinner & Gala (Halifax Marriott Harbourfront Hotel)

Thursday, March 17
16:00 Quarter-final 1: No. 7 Carleton vs. No. 2 Saskatchewan (Eastlink TV / www.CIS-SIC.tv)
20:00 Quarter-final 2: No. 6 Alberta vs. No. 3 StFX (Eastlink TV / www.CIS-SIC.tv)

Friday, March 18
16:00 Quarter-final 3: No. 5 UNB vs. No. 4 Western (Eastlink TV / www.CIS-SIC.tv)
20:00 Quarter-final 4: No. 8 Saint Mary’s vs. No. 1 UQTR (Eastlink TV / www.CIS-SIC.tv)

Saturday, March 19
12:00 Semifinal 1: Winner QF 1 vs. Winner QF 2 (SN 360 & TVA Sports / www.CIS-SIC.tv) *
16:00 Semifinal 2: Winner QF 3 vs. Winner QF 4 (SN 360 & TVA Sports / www.CIS-SIC.tv) *

Sunday, March 20
14:00 Bronze (Eastlink TV / www.CIS-SIC.tv)
18:30 Final (Sportsnet 360 & TVA Sports 2 / www.CIS-SIC.tv) *

* Webcast of the semifinals & final are on pay-per-view basis.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Good analysis. I can see UNB coming out on top easily in their match-up, as should the Sask-Huskies. The best games of the opening round will be SFX-UofA and SMU-UQTR. Depending on their depth, SMU can get the win. Three AUS teams winning their opening games would be huge for attendance on Sat and Sunday with AUS teams in both Bronze and Gold games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad