2016 CIS University Cup (Halifax)

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Not going to have time tonight to tally up the predictions, and I know it is a short turnaround so many might not be able to get them in on time, but I am going with:

St FX 3-2
UNB 4-2

Remember - 2 points for correct team + bonus point for correct score

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
I thought SMU looked good from the get-go and thought we might see a repeat of what happened to X last year...feed off the crowd in the early going to generate a nice push, but ultimately get worn down by a better team. Didn't happen though...the Huskies were the better team and deserved to win that game.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Good analysis. I can see UNB coming out on top easily in their match-up, as should the Sask-Huskies. The best games of the opening round will be SFX-UofA and SMU-UQTR. Depending on their depth, SMU can get the win. Three AUS teams winning their opening games would be huge for attendance on Sat and Sunday with AUS teams in both Bronze and Gold games.

Just sayin'.....

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
I've been holding off on this, 'cause I like Dave Adolph, but I thought U of S were chit in their game against Carleton. Hopefully it will serve as a wake-up call and we'll get a dandy Sat afternoon.

If I'm sitting in a free seat, I want to be entertained. :)

Dutch

May 17, 2006
Trois-Rivières
Really impressed with SMU's defense tonight. Haven't seen UQTR being shut down like that often this year. I don't think the Patriotes were on their best game, but SMU did better. Things could have been different if UQTR was able to get some momentum after their goal, but Clerverdale shut the door at the best of times.

One thing's for sure, this year's tournament won't help OUA's reputation, altough Carleton's and UQTR's games could have gone the other way.

One thing that sucks is that for the first time the tournament will be shown in french on TVA Sports, but they're won't be any Quebec team. A good opportunity to sell the game in Quebec is gone.

My predictions

UNB 4 SMU 1
StFX 5 Sask 2

GangGreen

May 27, 2012
So did UQTR just play a bad game or were they that over-rated. SMU is middle of pack AUS and were the better team in this game. All we heard was how great the UQTR offence was but boy it sure didn't show. Western looked like a DAL level team against UNB.

Of course the AUS is better caliber than the OUA, look at how many Ontario players head east to play University hockey. If the OUA teams were allowed to pay the players the same stipends that the AUS does, I'm sure the playing field would be levelled. Great job by a mostly no-name Mustangs team this season.

Bob Stauffer

Aug 4, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Aus-cw-oua

Saturday St. FX will take care of Saskatchewan and UNB will vanquish a plucky Saint Mary's squad.
The AUS top to bottom has the most competitive League. It cant be denied, and when AUS School hosts Nationals teams like UNB become a huge favourite.
Remember, the University Cup has always been a bit of a home show!
Case in point, Alberta has won 5 of the last 6 Championships hosted by a CW School.
My experience watching CIS Hockey for the last 40 years is that the school's respective program's take on the identity of the Coach.
Tom Watt and Clare Drake were legends at U of T and Alberta. Both went on to Pro.
Jean Perron in Moncton and Dave King in Saskatchewan had CIS runs that morphed into NHL opportunities.
Rob Daum had a .900 winning percentage his final 5 seasons at Alberta, won 3 titles in his last 7 seasons, went on to win 50 games one season in the AHL and coach in the NHL and the Olympics.
Ian Herbers went 119-19 over 3 seasons at Alberta and 7-1 at Nationals; his only loss?
2-1 in game where his team outshot a team 43-13 and hit 4 posts!
With Herbers departure to the Edmonton Oilers, Gardiner MacDougall (sp?) again became the best coach in the Country at the CIS level.
The V-Reds can recruit and play the right way. The other AUS school's try to follow suit, which makes the Conference tough, especially when an AUS market hosts.
It won't be changing for the next couple of seasons either; cause the UNB job is better than a BS "Q" job.

northvanman

Jun 4, 2009
Oakville, ON
Of course the AUS is better caliber than the OUA, look at how many Ontario players head east to play University hockey. If the OUA teams were allowed to pay the players the same stipends that the AUS does, I'm sure the playing field would be levelled. Great job by a mostly no-name Mustangs team this season.

What are the financial incentives that exist in the AUS schools that the OUA teams are not able to offer?

I don't think that anyone can argue the AUS is the strongest conference top to bottom, and it's been this way for several years.

There is no question that a lot of good hockey players leave Ontario, either to other CIS conferences or to the NCAA. As has been discussed many times before on these boards, there is also the dilution factor in the OUA, especially in the OUA West.

I took a look at the AUS rosters a few years ago and then again today, and it does appear that the proportion of Ontario players has declined from what I recall. UNB and SFX in particular are recruiting from all over Canada and into the US. I think one can conclude, though, that the quality of these teams says less about the state of hockey players born and bred in Atlantic Canada and more about the quality of recruiting (and coaching) in these programs. I guess this is no different than professional sports, where the hometowns of players has little or nothing to do with the city where the players play.

Interestingly, among each of the 3 remaining AUS teams at the UCup, the number of players listed on each roster from Ontario exceeds the number from the team's home province.

UNB: From NB: 5; from Atlantic Canada overall 8; from ON: 7
SFX: From NS: 6; from Atl Cda: 9; from ON: 7
SMU: From NS: 7; from Atl Cda: 8; from ON 11

AdamMcg83

Oct 12, 2011
www.twitter.com
What are the financial incentives that exist in the AUS schools that the OUA teams are not able to offer?

I don't think that anyone can argue the AUS is the strongest conference top to bottom, and it's been this way for several years.

There is no question that a lot of good hockey players leave Ontario, either to other CIS conferences or to the NCAA. As has been discussed many times before on these boards, there is also the dilution factor in the OUA, especially in the OUA West.

I took a look at the AUS rosters a few years ago and then again today, and it does appear that the proportion of Ontario players has declined from what I recall. UNB and SFX in particular are recruiting from all over Canada and into the US. I think one can conclude, though, that the quality of these teams says less about the state of hockey players born and bred in Atlantic Canada and more about the quality of recruiting (and coaching) in these programs. I guess this is no different than professional sports, where the hometowns of players has little or nothing to do with the city where the players play.

Interestingly, among each of the 3 remaining AUS teams at the UCup, the number of players listed on each roster from Ontario exceeds the number from the team's home province.

UNB: From NB: 5; from Atlantic Canada overall 8; from ON: 7
SFX: From NS: 6; from Atl Cda: 9; from ON: 7
SMU: From NS: 7; from Atl Cda: 8; from ON 11

The OUA limits scholarships to $4500 per year (just recently raised from $4000). Tuition is generally more expensive in Ontario than out east as well. So, for an OHL grad, he can get his entire expenses covered out east, or get approx 50% covered in Ontario.
I believe the OUA minimum grade requirements for scholarships are a bit higher than the rest of the country as well.

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
The OUA limits scholarships to $4500 per year (just recently raised from $4000). Tuition is generally more expensive in Ontario than out east as well. So, for an OHL grad, he can get his entire expenses covered out east, or get approx 50% covered in Ontario.
I believe the OUA minimum grade requirements for scholarships are a bit higher than the rest of the country as well.

Well, when you have eight AUS teams based in the Maritimes, with a combined population probably half of that of the GTA, of course you have to recruit players from away if you want to be competitive. Talking to coaches, the fact that the OUA in recent years has raised their self-imposed AFA limits, as mentioned, has resulted in more OHL players deciding to play in their home province.

Bob Stauffer

Aug 4, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
X 2-Sask 1 in 3OT

Have a lot of empathy for Dave Adolph and Saskatchewan.
They played hard and disciplined. Still lacked scoring which is why they played 7 OT periods.
IMO that was a tough call on Levi Cable in OT. Officials were letting a lot go.
X knows how to "flop"!
Home crowd helps to draw calls too.
Don't forget X grabbed some momentum off of a boarding call on Jayden Hart late first of Alberta game. Gift PP that they capitalized on in early 2nd.
X were the better team in third OT. Not a surprise.
Huskies play in little band box of a dump named "Rutherford Rink" and X plays on much bigger surface in Antigonish.
To me X had superior depth and more guys that could skate up front.
Jordan Cooke from Leduc, Alberta-25 mins from U of A campus was stellar and Huskies D, heavy in WHL-experienced D.

Antigonowhere

Mar 10, 2016
The Little Vatican
It was said that Cooke could be the difference for Saskatchewan. I think he was. The penalty was one of those that I think the ref would like to have back, but once the call is made...and the goal was a hockey play as well. No complaints and happy to see that Cuzner's whateverthatwas was made right. That would have sucked a lot more than a marginal penalty call leading to a PP goal.

FWIW, I agree on the call that went against Alberta last game. I had a pretty good angle from where I was sitting and it appeared to be a mistake. Still, there was time, and opportunity, for a makeup call and it didn't come.

I was way off on my call for this game, but am sticking to my guns for the call in the second.

Last edited:

SP Saskatuned

Aug 2, 2011
Saskatoon, SASK.
Heartbreak in Halifax

Tough way for U of S Huskies to lose after playing 7 OT periods, and 13 periods in total, in 2 1/2 days ... Definitely didn't get the breaks from the officiating. I agree with Bob in the flopping department. Two of the so-called infractions were embellished by the X-men from what I saw.
That Cuzner is a piece of work. The rest of the AUS must love him!:sarcasm:
Also, I was surprised at the amount of clutch-and-grab and obstruction going on, overall, in this game as well as Thursday's Carleton game. It was tough sledding out there. Lots of non-calls throughout, the majority going in X's favor, but it is what it is ...
Losing Michael Sofillas in the first period definitely hurt Saskatchewan, which was already missing key centreman John Lawrence to injury.
The Huskies will graduate D Zak Stebner, F's Jesse Ross and Matt Spafford, plus back-up goalie Blake Voth.
Expect them to remain in the hunt for the next couple of years. They've got 2 red-shirts waiting in the wings and some promising potential recruits.

Last edited:

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
I generally don't complain about officiating, but U of S were robbed in the game today. The Cuzner hit was shoulder to head on an unsuspecting player. Brutal non-call. The call on Cable was not CFB, not Boarding, not a penalty. Gave SFX the PP for the GWG. Not saying that SFX would not have won, but the win was a gift from the Ref. I thought Cooke played great for the Huskies as did Owsley for X.

UNB-SMU game was good until 16 sec left in the 2nd when UNB made it 2-0. The writing was on the wall after that.

Not big on predictions but I think the Prairie Dogs will not want to go home empty handed and UNB will avenge their AUS final loss.

Note to U of S: No more OT games; you're cutting into my pub time.

Edit: Just looking at the box score on the CIS site and see 3 Sask players at -2 with one goal a SH and the other a PP. Obviously a mistake.

Last edited:

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Tough way for U of S Huskies to lose after playing 7 OT periods, and 13 periods in total, in 2 1/2 days ... Definitely didn't get the breaks from the officiating. I agree with Bob in the flopping department. Two of the so-called infractions were embellished by the X-men from what I saw.
That Cuzner is a piece of work. The rest of the AUS must love him!:sarcasm:
Also, I was surprised at the amount of clutch-and-grab and obstruction going on, overall, in this game as well as Thursday's Carleton game. It was tough sledding out there. Lots of non-calls throughout, the majority going in X's favor, but it is what it is ...
Losing Michael Sofillas in the first period definitely hurt Saskatchewan, which was already missing key centreman John Lawrence to injury.
The Huskies will graduate D Zak Stebner, F's Jesse Ross and Matt Spafford, plus back-up goalie Blake Voth.
Expect them to remain in the hunt for the next couple of years. They've got 2 red-shirts waiting in the wings and some promising potential recruits.

Well the Saskatchewan Huskies definitely have my respect. I can tell now that they deserved to be the Canada West champions. If they can keep Cooke from going pro they will have a great team next year.

Who are their red shirts? I'm assuming guys who've played pro.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad