2016-2017 NCAA Hockey Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
I don't think so, not yet. Vegas is the only team publicly saying they should consider him?

Don't know that but saw a rumor that the Kings are front-runners, perhaps thanks to Iafallo, perhaps due to the appeal of southern California over Iowa.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Don't know that but saw a rumor that the Kings are front-runners, perhaps thanks to Iafallo, perhaps due to the appeal of southern California over Iowa.

LA would be an odd choice career-wise. Their top-4 is pretty much solidified until 2020. Doughty, Martinez, and Muzzen aren't going anywhere. Unless Pionk thinks he can immediately step in and grab that #4 spot over vets like Greene or McNabb.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
Not sure where to post this, but has anyone watched JD Greenway.

I watched him in leafs practice this fall and was pretty impressed. How has he developed this season?

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN

I watched him in leafs practice this fall and was pretty impressed. How has he developed this season?

Digitalbooya will be able to answer this better, but from what I saw he was OK. He is certainly noticeable on the ice. I'm biased as a Gopher fan, as I was not a fan of his from our games against Wisconsin, because he seemed really chippy. 87 PIMs, so maybe that's just going to be his niche as a player.

But, I don't remember watching our games against Wisconsin thinking that he was a glaring weakness for the Badgers. Which, for a freshman defenseman, is a credit to him.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
Digitalbooya will be able to answer this better, but from what I saw he was OK. He is certainly noticeable on the ice. I'm biased as a Gopher fan, as I was not a fan of his from our games against Wisconsin, because he seemed really chippy. 87 PIMs, so maybe that's just going to be his niche as a player.

But, I don't remember watching our games against Wisconsin thinking that he was a glaring weakness for the Badgers. Which, for a freshman defenseman, is a credit to him.

Thanks, I was always intrigued by his skating for a big man

Hopefully he rounds out his game because he seems to have a lot of the raw tools to make him a great Dman

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
LA would be an odd choice career-wise. Their top-4 is pretty much solidified until 2020. Doughty, Martinez, and Muzzen aren't going anywhere. Unless Pionk thinks he can immediately step in and grab that #4 spot over vets like Greene or McNabb.

On the other hand those guys - even Doughty - are good trade chips for a team that needs to tear it down a little bit. I don't know if they'll take a radical new approach but they could potentially send away a Muzzin and a bad salary. Pionk plays a totally different game than Greene or McNabb (or Forbort) and he's a player type they could use.

I feel like college players see guys stepping directly into the NHL and think, why not me? Sometimes it works ok (Jimmy Vesey, Matt Benning this season for the Oilers), sometimes it doesn't so much (Charlie McAvoy in the playoffs, Drake Caggiula during the regular season). Most college players need some AHL seasoning.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin

He and Corbin McGuire were the badgers best defenseman and a big reason for such a turnaround. JD Greenway was a physical defenseman, often getting him into trouble penalty wise. He seemed to grow more of an "attitude" on the ice as the season went on. His puck moving ability was good. Skating needs some work. Quick decision making needs work.

He's got the raw tools. Just needs development.

Mickey the mouse

Jun 30, 2013
He and Corbin McGuire were the badgers best defenseman and a big reason for such a turnaround. JD Greenway was a physical defenseman, often getting him into trouble penalty wise. He seemed to grow more of an "attitude" on the ice as the season went on. His puck moving ability was good. Skating needs some work. Quick decision making needs work.

He's got the raw tools. Just needs development.

Totally disagree.

Greenway was behind Tische.

Osieki completely turned Tische game around and I know that there are many NHL teams that are trying to sign him.

Hence, Wisco bringing in 2 D for this coming year

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Totally disagree.

Greenway was behind Tische.

Osieki completely turned Tische game around and I know that there are many NHL teams that are trying to sign him.

Hence, Wisco bringing in 2 D for this coming year

Sure, Tischke was a monster blocking shots towards the end of the year. But overall, I thought Greenway was better throughout the season.

They are bringing in two defenseman cause half the guys wouldn't sniff a typical Mark Osiecki d-core. They are just not good enough. The d-core was the worst area and needs to improve dramatically.

Mickey the mouse

Jun 30, 2013
Sure, Tischke was a monster blocking shots towards the end of the year. But overall, I thought Greenway was better throughout the season.

They are bringing in two defenseman cause half the guys wouldn't sniff a typical Mark Osiecki d-core. They are just not good enough. The d-core was the worst area and needs to improve dramatically.

Tiscke was their most reliable Dman.

With that said ... Greenway has much more upside.

Totally agree ... D wasn't very good

Twoods1623

Jun 27, 2016
North Shore
Would it be smart for a player like Pionk to wait till after the expansion draft to make his choice on what team he wants to sign with? For example Las Vegas goes D heavy in the draft and Pionk is more focused on playing asap in the NHL.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Would it be smart for a player like Pionk to wait till after the expansion draft to make his choice on what team he wants to sign with? For example Las Vegas goes D heavy in the draft and Pionk is more focused on playing asap in the NHL.
Probably. I hope we get him. We need more RD depth.

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta

Probably. I hope we get him. We need more RD depth.

I just have an awful feeling Pionk would go somewhere like Toronto.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Chicago's in on a lot of college FAs this year, hey? Do they always go after them so hard? I remember them also being a finalist for Mike Reilly.

Last edited:

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
Pionk did attend the Capitals development camp in 2015, so they may very well be the other suitor.

I wouldn't be thrilled about Washington getting him, but it would be a hell of a lot easier to swallow than him going to Chicago.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
I don't see that Pionk is necessarily a shoo-in for the Rangers next season. I'm sure they'd like to move Girardi and possibly Klein but they could also re-sign Brendan Smith. Pionk is fairly similar to a guy like Holden and they also have Kampfer and Clendening hanging around. Rangers also have guys in the pipeline like Paliotta, Sean Day, and John Gilmour who could push next season. So to me that's not an obvious fit.

The Wild have basically Mike Reilly blocking Pionk. Doesn't sound like they made a serious push for him either. He may have said no thanks from the start and if he wanted merely to spread his wings, that's his right. Pionk is a long way from being a Brian Rafalski but my feeling is that he's a decent bet for an NHL career.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad