2016-2017 NCAA Hockey Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta
Am I the only one who'd like to see MN kids play college hockey in MN? Just noticed Mismash is going to UND, ick. Seems like a lot of good guys go out of state. Maybe that is an old school thought when it comes to college hockey. And Bobby Brink going to Denver..

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Am I the only one who'd like to see MN kids play college hockey in MN? Just noticed Mismash is going to UND, ick. Seems like a lot of good guys go out of state. Maybe that is an old school thought when it comes to college hockey. And Bobby Brink going to Denver..

Kids want to attend college out of state? Travel? Expand their horizons? That's nothing new.

Wabit

May 23, 2016

I would hope that kids going to college would be picking the best option for their future. It could be pro hockey or (more likely) an education. Scholarships also add into consideration (education), and potential playing time (pro hockey).

It nice to be in college without the chances of a surprise visit from your parents.

Fremitus Borealis

Flügelstürmer
Feb 4, 2007
The Slot

As others have said, there are a number of considerations. Some kids are gonna wanna play in their home state, others are gonna want to "see the world" by going farther away [from their parents ;) ]. Some are gonna feel that "sense of place" and feel loyalty to home, others aren't going to care. And when it comes to NCAA-caliber high school athletes, other things are going to come into play in deciding where to go, like the opportunity to play more, being a big fish in a small pond, etc. I mean, if I were a really good HS hockey player in MN right now, I admit I'd be a little torn between, say, going to the U which is a great school with a storied hockey program.... but where I'd probably have to fight tooth and nail for playing time against spoiled kids from the suburbs, and have all the pressure of the "State of Hockey" stuff............. and going to another D1 school in, say, the Northeast where I could still get a good education, under less pressure, and with more ice time.

Gross oversimplifications abound, but the point is, on a certain level, I sort of get it.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
14 of the 18 skaters on the Penguins in game 7 came through the college ranks.
http://undhockey.areavoices.com/?p=107027

Pretty cool stuff. I've found myself cheering for them a bit for that reason. Plus Minnesota high school product Sidney Crosby!

The Pens seem to have drawn on MN for a long time...they drafted Fran Bussey, Rusty Fitzgerald and Clint Johnson all out of Duluth in the early 90s.

Can't recall ever considering Bryan Rust much of a college player but he's one guy who has really been a valuable part of this team.

Dakota Sioux

Wild Time
Aug 19, 2005
JAMESTOWN,ND
Pretty cool stuff. I've found myself cheering for them a bit for that reason. Plus Minnesota high school product Sidney Crosby!

The Pens seem to have drawn on MN for a long time...they drafted Fran Bussey, Rusty Fitzgerald and Clint Johnson all out of Duluth in the early 90s.

Can't recall ever considering Bryan Rust much of a college player but he's one guy who has really been a valuable part of this team.

Crosby isn't a high school product really. Went to Shattuck for one year and was gone. Not a Pens fan but if they do win it I will be happy for Matt Cullen. Class act.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Don Granato has left Wisconsin to be an assistant coach for Chicago.

Disappointed, but glad his dream came true.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
NHL to sponsor studies to explore establishing future D-I hockey programs

The NHL and NHLPA have agreed in this endeavor to commit funds through the industry growth fund, which is financing the initiative.

The University of Illinois will be the first to participate in the study.

"This initiative demonstrates the NHL's support of the growth of men's and women's college hockey at the Division I level and we're looking to incentivize and raise awareness to schools that may be interested in getting a Division I hockey program," Commissioner Bettman said.

This is interesting. It would be cool if the NHL would help out in getting a couple more B1G programs off the ground, to give them a foundation to start a program. With Notre Dame in the fold now, 3 more B1G programs would be ideal, a 10 team league.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
The NCAA is becoming a bigger and more reliable feeder of NHL talent every year. Players coming out of college are usually more ready for the pro game since they play against more physically mature competition than juniors provides.

Junior players are more ready if they make the jump while still junior aged, but those forced to play in juniors because they're not ready for the NHL but don't yet qualify for the AHL, those players are less NHL ready when they do finally turn pro.

I still think Coyle going to juniors after playing in college was a step backwards in his development. Things came far too easy for him there.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
The NCAA is becoming a bigger and more reliable feeder of NHL talent every year. Players coming out of college are usually more ready for the pro game since they play against more physically mature competition than juniors provides.

Junior players are more ready if they make the jump while still junior aged, but those forced to play in juniors because they're not ready for the NHL but don't yet qualify for the AHL, those players are less NHL ready when they do finally turn pro.

College players are usually a couple of years older than Jr's players. Jr's end at 20 so a year or two in the AHL would be the same age as a lot of the college players. It evens out some at that point.

Jr's are fine for the 2nd and later round picks. It's the better players (~top-20) that stagnate. The AHL, college, or even overseas would be better for development.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Doesn't bother me much at all. It will still always be Mariucci. If slapping a 3M logo on it will generate $11m for the University, fine by me.

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta
CM playing this fall has me excited to watch a little more Gophers. Are guys like Fallstrom and Reedy all playing this year?

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
I am fine with big money in college athletics but corporate sponsorship just kills your branding over time.

Fremitus Borealis

Flügelstürmer
Feb 4, 2007
The Slot
Oh my. I've never understood this kind of thing to begin with. Do they think calling it 3M Arena at Mariucci will make a bunch of freshmen go out and buy $11 million worth of tape? How many people actually opened TCF Bank accounts because of the new football stadium? Above my pay grade, I guess.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Oh my. I've never understood this kind of thing to begin with. Do they think calling it 3M Arena at Mariucci will make a bunch of freshmen go out and buy $11 million worth of tape? How many people actually opened TCF Bank accounts because of the new football stadium? Above my pay grade, I guess.

It's more about brand recognition than direct consumer sales.

Putting your company's name on a college stadium doesn't mean they're targeting students. They're aiming for corporate accounts. For a measly 3 million, 3M can rub elbows with companies like Gatorade, Nike, BMW.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad