2016-2017 NCAA Hockey Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Oh my. I've never understood this kind of thing to begin with. Do they think calling it 3M Arena at Mariucci will make a bunch of freshmen go out and buy $11 million worth of tape? How many people actually opened TCF Bank accounts because of the new football stadium? Above my pay grade, I guess.

3M got out of spending big money on a NASCAR sponsorship. The naming rights for a college stadium are much cheaper. Plus they will probably make a chunk of that money back selling their products to the school even at a discounted rate: Paint, tape, cleaning supplies, safety stuff, etc. If it gives 3M an inside track to the whole UofM system it's money well spent.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Oh my. I've never understood this kind of thing to begin with. Do they think calling it 3M Arena at Mariucci will make a bunch of freshmen go out and buy $11 million worth of tape? How many people actually opened TCF Bank accounts because of the new football stadium? Above my pay grade, I guess.

It's more about brand recognition than direct consumer sales.

Putting your company's name on a college stadium doesn't mean they're targeting students. They're aiming for corporate accounts. For a measly 3 million, 3M can rub elbows with companies like Gatorade, Nike, BMW.

It's also about getting the name out there on tv/video anytime the arena is in use for anything.

They aren't targeting the people in direct attendance, they are targeting as great an audience as possible.

Anyone anywhere watching Gopher hockey or Gopher hockey highlights is going to see 3M every time.

When the Gopher football team gets national coverage, TCF is getting national advertisement.

That kind of advertising can be a very expensive campaign in and of itself. Paying to name a stadium or arena can actually get far more bang for your buck by comparison.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
Huskies roster up.
Freshmen numbers
Jaycox #6
Anderson #8
Hammer #16
Brodzinski #26
Lizotte #27
Fitzgerald #28
Hrenak #34

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Hi guys,

I wasn't sure where to post this.

I suck at making avatars.

I really want an avatar with this guy:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipe...-Minnesota_Golden_Gophers_hockey_logo.svg.png

I want it 100x100 and 125x125.

I can do it but they come out so blurry.

Can anyone be so kind and help me out? I don't want to stop the flow of the thread so you could always send via PM.

Thanks!

I'll take a look at it tonight, if I have time. Or at some point this weekend!

ClayAikenFan77

Jan 1, 2016
Minneapolis
Anyone else see this garbage today?

Their parents are very rich and own the youth hockey hub. These are two kids who will be first and second year bantams (2004 and 2003) and who are truly not even elite players at the bantam level in Minnesota. Absolutely ridiculous and a sad day for Gopher hockey if this is true.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Ridiculous to recruit kids that young. If I was a parent I would never let my kids of that age commit anywhere. It's not like the schools will show any loyalty if the player gets hurt or drops in form.

melinko

Jun 13, 2010
Minnesota
Are they even being recruited?

Seems odd that a program like the Gophers who can basically pick any kid in MN and get them to commit is offering kids this early to try and secure it.

Perhaps they need to show interest in these kids early to prevent them from going Major Junior?

Either way this seems fishy to me, I wouldn't be surprised if this ends up being some fantasy/roleplaying that stemmed from misinterpreted interest in them or straight up misrepresenting any interest the Gophers had in order to market the parents hockey academy.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Badgers just gained a huge piece in senior transfer Kyle Hayton. One of the better goaltenders in the NCAA.

GopherState

Repeat Offender...
Aug 8, 2008
X Marks The Spot
Are they even being recruited?

Seems odd that a program like the Gophers who can basically pick any kid in MN and get them to commit is offering kids this early to try and secure it.

Perhaps they need to show interest in these kids early to prevent them from going Major Junior?

Either way this seems fishy to me, I wouldn't be surprised if this ends up being some fantasy/roleplaying that stemmed from misinterpreted interest in them or straight up misrepresenting any interest the Gophers had in order to market the parents hockey academy.

Yes.

Sadly 13/14 year-olds giving verbal commitments is nothing new in college hockey. Much of the outrage fits perfectly in with the same outrage given when Oliver Wahlstrom committed to Maine 3.5 years ago at age 13. There are close to a dozen incoming freshmen who made verbal commitments at 14.

Without going into the ethics of hockey recruiting getting younger and younger, coaches trying to predict the future 3-4 years in advance, and the vast number of late bloomers, there are multiple paths some of these early commits take. Sometimes it works out. Often it doesn't.

(And hey everyone! Been a while.)

melinko

Jun 13, 2010
Minnesota
Yes.

Sadly 13/14 year-olds giving verbal commitments is nothing new in college hockey. Much of the outrage fits perfectly in with the same outrage given when Oliver Wahlstrom committed to Maine 3.5 years ago at age 13. There are close to a dozen incoming freshmen who made verbal commitments at 14.

Without going into the ethics of hockey recruiting getting younger and younger, coaches trying to predict the future 3-4 years in advance, and the vast number of late bloomers, there are multiple paths some of these early commits take. Sometimes it works out. Often it doesn't.

How often does a team withdraw the offer to these early commits?

It seems like the goal is to get in early and try to limit the CHL route and at least for the lower tier schools hopefully build a relationship with a player who has a good chance to develop to a level that is traditionally unavailable to them.

What are programs like Minnesota, Michigan, BU, North Dakota looking to gain from these early commits?

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Yes.

Good to see you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: