Injury Report: 2016-2017 Edition II

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
I recall him skating 10 days ago and suffering a set back with his symptoms.

That's the last thing I heard. Shaw made things much worse by coming back after the initial hit by Krug, making the recovery longer. Hopefully he and the team are now being extra-cautious and allowing him every minute he needs to be 100%.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
Desharnais used to be relatively injury free prior to last season. However, he might have the worst injury luck on the roster next to Gallagher now.

I do feel bad for him particularly since he's fighting for an NHL contract next season, and he cant even get the opportunity to showcase himself.

No way! It's obviously just a hunch, but it seems to me that Desharnais himself knows his time in the NHL is up. Before his injury, he certainly didn't look like a guy fighting for his next contract.

He's going somewhere in Europe next year.

What?? Did this really happen or are you making a joke?

True story. I quoted an article (in French). DD collided with Pierre Allard and suffered a setback. :laugh:

And as others have said, it is cruel to say that, but with Therrien behind the bench, it's just better for the team if DD stays on LTIR. His NHL career is over and guys like Danault and McCarron are simply bringing more at this point.

Yes, Desharnais being injured is an addition by substraction. I don't feel bad saying it as it's an undeniable fact.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
Showcase himself?? Seriously...He would go thorugh waivers...

That's exactly it. Pro sports have a heavy dose of "what have you done for me lately" mentality. Right now, his stock is very low. He needs some time here to try and get his value up. A good finish could be the difference between a new contract or professional tryout, or being out of the NHL completely.

It must be really frustrating to have this type of injury happen with his NHL career likely hanging in the balance. With the situation at centre ice, he couldn't have asked for a better opportunity when Galchenyuk went down, and with plekanec tanking his offensive output. Having said that, Danault has jumped in and take full advantage of the opportunity.... something we might not have seen if DD did not get hurt.

Last edited:

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
That's exactly it. Pro sports have a heavy dose of "what have you done for me lately" mentality. Right now, his stock is very low. He needs some time here to try and get his value up. A good finish could be the difference between a new contract or professional tryout, or being out of the NHL completely.

It must be really frustrating to have this type of injury happen with his NHL career likely hanging in the balance. With the situation at centre ice, he couldn't have asked for a better opportunity when Galchenyuk went down, and with plekanec tanking his offensive output. Having said that, Danault has jumped in and take full advantage of the opportunity.... something we might not have seen if DD did not get hurt.
My frustration with DD has really been more with MT and the way he used DD over the past 4-5 seasons...definitely do not wish an injury to this guy, but we are way better a team when DD is not in the line-up. I also don't feel bad for a guy, who got a 14M dollar four year contract either....waivers, and good riddens for me...

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
True story. I quoted an article (in French). DD collided with Pierre Allard and suffered a setback. :laugh:

And as others have said, it is cruel to say that, but with Therrien behind the bench, it's just better for the team if DD stays on LTIR. His NHL career is over and guys like Danault and McCarron are simply bringing more at this point.

Yes, Desharnais being injured is an addition by substraction. I don't feel bad saying it as it's an undeniable fact.

Two times this year that DD hits or gets hit= multiple injuries. On a different note, is Allard the guy that made the uncomfortable facial expression in the Washington game when DD went out on the ice with 15 seconds left?

Uncle Gary

Apr 12, 2014
I didn't realize how long Shaw has been out for. It is a shame too because he was heating up before the injury.

I doubt that Byron will be out long at all. It looked like Sharp got him in the chest rather than the head but it is hard to tell from the angle.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Nice!!!!!

With Byron Shaw Markov Galchenyuk back, this team will hard to beat!

it rarely works out like that though. It takes time for old players to come back in and gel with the team. It will be nice to have Marky back.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
So Redmond isnt injured? Cant believe hes not in over Johnston

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007

I don't get this either. It seems like Redmond is getting the Tinordi treatment, but I'm not sure what he did to deserve it. He seemed decent enough in the games I've seen him play so far.

The one thing I'm wondering: Did Johnson play with Barbiero in St.John's? Perhaps they want to keep them together for consistency sake and then insert Redmond to play with Beaulieu once Markov comes back.

member 256847

While everything you say is true, Desharnais only has himself to blame for not making himself more indispensable to this team from the get go. He struggled since the beginning of the season (and most of last season). This team was just looking for an opportunity to cast him aside and it came in the emergence of Danault. Contrary to popular belief and even if I'm not Therrien's biggest fan, I'm thinking even him can see Desharnais' place on the team has come and gone.

Same. He has nice puck moving skills but I cringe every time I see Johnston (or Barberio for that matter) try to defend their zone. That's even more puzzling when you consider he won his place fair and square at training camp.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Same. He has nice puck moving skills but I cringe every time I see Johnston (or Barberio for that matter) try to defend their zone. That's even more puzzling when you consider he won his place fair and square at training camp.

Exactly. Johnston and Barberio look good while moving the puck, but are weak when defending without it (especially Johnston). A team with fast, skilled forwards expose the hell out of them. I'm still not sold on Redmond, but he did look better.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
The Redmond situation does not add up. There has to be something going on that we don't know about. I can't think of any reason not to play him based on what we know.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad