GWT: 2016-17 UEFA Europa League knock out stage

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Well about what I expected from the first half. Rostov playing with basically everyone behind the ball and United struggling to break them down, although they should have had a penalty.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
I have zero idea what that foul on Jones was for. lol. Ref's given a few of those to both sides where it seems the guy who goes straight up and wins the ball fairly gets called because an attacker crashed into him.

Oof, and what a save by Romero to keep it from going to extra time.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
what a comeback by Schalke, although a questionable penalty put them through. Gladbach were trying to be too fancy with time running out, perfect example was that attack in the 90th minute which resulted in a blocked shot. Ajax won 2:0 at home to Copenhagen to overturn their first leg loss, Lyon hold on to eliminate Roma despite the loss today

The quarterfinal draw is tomorrow and here is who is involved:

Ajax (NED)
Anderlecht (BEL)
Besiktas (TUR)
Celta Vigo (ESP)
Lyon (FRA)
Manchester United (ENG)
Racing Genk (BEL)
Schalke 04 (GER)

Still a very important competition for most involved, of the 8 teams remaining only Besiktas seem certainties for next year's Champions League, Anderlecht currently top in Belgium but only by one point. Manchester United still in the hunt for top 4 in EPL but I still think this competition is winnable for them

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Roy Keane decimating Mourinho's moaning about fixtures. "Maybe the club's too big for him."

HwDuwxC.png

tfw.png

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Roy Keane decimating Mourinho's moaning about fixtures. "Maybe the club's too big for him."

HwDuwxC.png

tfw.png

Hes not wrong

United schedule is ridiculous. They're scheduled to play 14 games over the next two months with two games still to be determined...

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Lyon winning the EL is their ONLY way to reach a CL spot. They're wayyyyy off Nice, PSG and Monaco.

SchwenningerWildWing

Aug 23, 2006
Germany
What did Clattenburg do now?

Called a more than questionable penalty for Schalke after a deflected ball hit Dahoud in the shoulder-hand area. As a supporter of BMG I was angry as hell yesterday with that penalty and still am today though I have to say Schalke was the better team in both second halfs in each game, so it is not totally unjustified that they made it through. But they were lucky as hell yesterday. One goal was an unfortunate bounce because of a bad pitch and the penalty was a gift.

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
Anderlecht v Man Utd

Celta v Genk

Ajax v Schalke 04

Lyon v Besiktas

Anderlecht doesn't stand a chance. Genk should be 50/50

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Hes not wrong

United schedule is ridiculous. They're scheduled to play 14 games over the next two months with two games still to be determined...

*shrug*

It sucks, but the reason it's so terrible is because they won a cup, were in the quarters of another and are in the busier European competition.

If they keep going in the EL, I assume they'll have played the most games of any side in Europe, but again that's the price of winning in England.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad