GWT: 2016-17 UEFA Europa League knock out stage

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
If they keep going in the EL, I assume they'll have played the most games of any side in Europe

I'm not sure, but RC Genk will be at 61 games by the beginning of May, and that's not including a possible SF and Final in the EL (so that could be 64) - then they could also win their playoff group in Belgium and play a two legged final against the winner of the other group (so possible 66) and if they win that they have to play another two legged playoff for a EL ticket (68). I doubt ManUtd surpasses that0.

Theon

No longer Reek
Jan 17, 2008
Stockholm
Great draw for us, even better with the second leg being in OT. Plus, I get to watch Tielemans. Win, win, win.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
I'm not sure, but RC Genk will be at 61 games by the beginning of May, and that's not including a possible SF and Final in the EL (so that could be 64) - then they could also win their playoff group in Belgium and play a two legged final against the winner of the other group (so possible 66) and if they win that they have to play another two legged playoff for a EL ticket (68). I doubt ManUtd surpasses that0.

I think United is at 61 non-friendly scheduled right now, and that's without advancing in the EL.

If they made the EL final that'd add another 3.

So yea they might not be absolute top, but it'd be close.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Called a more than questionable penalty for Schalke after a deflected ball hit Dahoud in the shoulder-hand area. As a supporter of BMG I was angry as hell yesterday with that penalty and still am today though I have to say Schalke was the better team in both second halfs in each game, so it is not totally unjustified that they made it through. But they were lucky as hell yesterday. One goal was an unfortunate bounce because of a bad pitch and the penalty was a gift.

Add that Schalke got incredibly lucky that their goal last week wasn't called back due to the blatant foul on Raffael that gave them possession; and S04 didn't score a single goal in this tie without some serious luck.

SchwenningerWildWing

Aug 23, 2006
Germany
Add that Schalke got incredibly lucky that their goal last week wasn't called back due to the blatant foul on Raffael that gave them possession; and S04 didn't score a single goal in this tie without some serious luck.

Totally forget about that, yeah. This adds to my pain. But at least last week Schalke had many qualitiy chances in the second half and that result last week was a bit lucky for BMG. But yesterdays game was one which should never slip out of our hands. Sure, Schalke made a lot of pressure after the halftime, but they had to and I don't know, they did not create a lot of quality chances even tgough they had a lot of possesion. It really sucks. **** you Clattenburg for that penalty

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
United, Celta, Ajax, Lyon?

Hes not wrong

United schedule is ridiculous. They're scheduled to play 14 games over the next two months with two games still to be determined...

Keane is definitely not wrong. If you're complaining about that schedule of fixtures then maybe United is the level of club you should be managing.

If what you're saying is correct then it's two fixtures per week. That for the most part should be normal for a club United's size at this stage of the season. That's not to mention the money they've spent on that squad compared to other sides. Mourinho shouldn't be complaining.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Lyon keep getting tough draws and good news for United that one of them will be knocked out as in my opinion those are the top three favorites. Ajax-Schalke could be interesting as well, open, not sure what to think of this Schalke side, they stink in the league but are doing well in Europe while this Ajax team seems better than the ones from last few years

You would think Celta are favorites over Genk, but if it means anything, Genk would have won the aggregate tie in their group stage matches against Bilbao earlier this season (they won 2:0 at home, lost 5:3 away)

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Lyon keep getting tough draws and good news for United that one of them will be knocked out as in my opinion those are the top three favorites. Ajax-Schalke could be interesting as well, open, not sure what to think of this Schalke side, they stink in the league but are doing well in Europe while this Ajax team seems better than the ones from last few years

You would think Celta are favorites over Genk, but if it means anything, Genk would have won the aggregate tie in their group stage matches against Bilbao earlier this season (they won 2:0 at home, lost 5:3 away)

Schalke for me are very much like Celta, inconsistent and you don't know which side will show up. I lean more towards Ajax going through because I feel like this Ajax side has been building to this point to a degree in terms of recent seasons. I also see Dolberg as a difference maker.

Like I said, Celta for me are inconsistent. They're definitely not as good as the past couple of seasons, but I also think that their selection leaves something to be desired. Still despite the scoreline they had some flashes last time they played Barça, though that was largely down to Aspas. Either way I wouldn't use Athletic as much of a bellwether. They're well inconsistent and seem to be able to live up to their potential either domestically or in Europe.

Not that you were replying directly to me, but I did put a "?" on that line for a reason. At the end of the day United should be expecting themselves to win and there should be no excuses even if there are still sides capable of putting them out.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Schalke are well organized in defense, but dreadful moving forward. If Goretzka doesn't create magic and they're not given plenty of space to break into; they really struggle to create much of anything. If Ajax are tidy with their possession and don't give away cheap goals, they should have a good chance of keeping S04 from scoring much. That and whether they can capitalize on their own chances will be the deciding factor...unless Schalke gets some clattenburg magic again...

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
Lots of confidence for Ajax in this thread. Not sure I stand behind that. They are easily intimidated, vulnerable on the backpositions and very, very inexperienced. They've thrown out starting line-ups with an average age of under 21 on multiple occasions.

Not impressed with this Schalke squad, either, but still a huge side with a massive payroll in comparison to Ajax' and with plenty of experience between its players. Gelschenkirchen will be tough.

Just glad we didn't draw Besiktas. With the current tensions between Turkey and the Netherlands, it could've been dangerous.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
United, Celta, Ajax, Lyon?

Keane is definitely not wrong. If you're complaining about that schedule of fixtures then maybe United is the level of club you should be managing.

If what you're saying is correct then it's two fixtures per week. That for the most part should be normal for a club United's size at this stage of the season. That's not to mention the money they've spent on that squad compared to other sides. Mourinho shouldn't be complaining.

It's probably more related to United's injury woes (plus Zlatan's suspension).

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Lyon will start Mammana tonight even though he had a dramatic outing last weekend.
I think it's the right choice given Mbiwa's form, but it's a huge question mark at this point.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Without much surprise, Besiktas supporters have stirred up **** throughout the afternoon and now in the stadium :facepalm:

Turtleneck Plek

Real Life
Mar 23, 2008
Montreal
So apparently, OL was afraid to have the Besiktas supporters at field level in the regular visiting supporters pen because they might go on the field, so they put them in the higher 3rd ring. Result, the Besiktas supporters threw firecrackers on the OL supporters below, which proceeded to go on the field seeking protection. Terrible management by OL on this one, with 15k+ Besiktas fans in there, you need a tighter protocol.

Rumors of fights between Besiktas supporters as well, and also that some fans of other turkish teams are there as well and there might've been fights between anti-Erdogan and pro-Erdogan people. Hate it when soccer and politics get mixed up.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
So apparently, OL was afraid to have the Besiktas supporters at field level in the regular visiting supporters pen because they might go on the field, so they put them in the higher 3rd ring. Result, the Besiktas supporters threw firecrackers on the OL supporters below, which proceeded to go on the field seeking protection. Terrible management by OL on this one, with 15k+ Besiktas fans in there, you need a tighter protocol.

Rumors of fights between Besiktas supporters as well, and also that some fans of other turkish teams are there as well and there might've been fights between anti-Erdogan and pro-Erdogan people. Hate it when soccer and politics get mixed up.

So what you're saying is, you hate soccer.

gnr25

May 22, 2008
Ottawa
I thought that Besiktas, Fenerbahce and Galatasaray fans were all mostly anti-Erdogan.

Nice cross, shot and then extreme angle goal by United.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France

Erh what?
"Real" turkish Besiktas supporters are not the problem. They're in a cleared space in the stadium.
Problem has been the plentiful european "turkish" fans who bought tickets as european fans (from Germany, France, Belgium, etc...) and they have every right to, but have bought tickets from the upper deck.
There they threw firecrackers and lighters on the OL fans below.

So that's why **** broke out. There are WAY more Besiktas fans than the turkish fans who made the trip from Istanbul.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad