Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
I have no idea how APOEL got this far in the tournament, what an awful team

Anderlecht's finishing was way off or the return leg would have been useless

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Meh, draw with an away goal isn't terrible, although I'd rather have a lead.

At least the pitch in OT should be appropriate for real soccer so some of the skill advantage can actually make a difference.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
A very solid second half by Rostov, they outplayed the United and got the equalizer.

Great European cup year for Rostov regardless of the OT game result.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Clear foul on Raffael which led to a Schalke counter attack goal, 1:1 right now

Roma with a crucial away goal at Lyon

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Clear foul on Raffael which led to a Schalke counter attack goal, 1:1 right now

Roma with a crucial away goal at Lyon

Yeah. That was annoying; especially since that goal wouldn't have happened if Kramer & Christensen were playing over the less mobile Strobl & Kolodziejczak, even with the non-call against Rafael.

Still BMG are playing well and have themselves an away goal already. If they score another goal or two today; they'll be sitting pretty for the return match next week.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
If Stindl isn't starting for the NT, at least for the Confed Cup, Jogi deserves to be kicked in the nuts by a prime CroCop. Werner's killing it this year, but he needs space a lot more than Lars does; and ideally we'd play with two forwards...I'd love to see Jogi grow some balls and try out:

Brandt*/Gnabry - Stindl - Werner/Draxler* - Sane
Dahoud - LeGo/Amiri
Weigl
Sule - Tah - Kimmich
​​

Luigi Habs

Captain Saku
Jul 30, 2005
Montreal
If Stindl isn't starting for the NT, at least for the Confed Cup, Jogi deserves to be kicked in the nuts by a prime CroCop. Werner's killing it this year, but he needs space a lot more than Lars does; and ideally we'd play with two forwards...I'd love to see Jogi grow some balls and try out:

Brandt*/Gnabry - Stindl - Werner/Draxler* - Sane
Dahoud - LeGo/Amiri
Weigl
Sule - Tah - Kimmich
​​

This isn't U23 competition. It wouldn't make sense to have a lineup like this one. Players like Ozil, Muller, Reus, Hummels, Boateng will be starters if healthy. Probably Gundogan as well. I'd like Werner to be given a chance to provide a needed no.9 upfront.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Schalke much better this second half, hit the crossbar and forced Sommer to make some good saves

Besiktas totally battering Olympiakos now but still 1:1, could be a darkhorse in this competition

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
This isn't U23 competition. It wouldn't make sense to have a lineup like this one. Players like Ozil, Muller, Reus, Hummels, Boateng will be starters if healthy. Probably Gundogan as well. I'd like Werner to be given a chance to provide a needed no.9 upfront.

It's not a u23 competition...but our regulars are either having off seasons, have battled injury, or are just plane worn down. I'd leave all of them in Germany to rest, get fully healthy, and get their minds right. As all of those kids have good enough senior team (and in most cases european) experience to deserve a look...outside of Gnabry, though he's having such a huge rookie year that it's hard to ignore.

I'm so thrilled to see Werner finally breaking out at the senior level, but for now he's still too much of a counter player for us to rely on as the 9 on his own...as our NT faces far too many busses and far too seldom gets chances to counter in space. That's why I'd play him or Draxler next to Stindl as a front two.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Nearly half of the first leg ties ended in a 1:1 draw (Rostov-United, Olympiakos-Besiktas, Schalke-Gladbach). The most secure into the quarters are Racing Genk after winning 5:2 in Gent, Anderlecht are in good shape winning 1:0 in Nicosia. Celta Vigo and FC Copenhagen take slim one goal leads into the second leg but have conceded away goals (Celta beat Krasnodar 2:1, Copenhagen beat Ajax 2-1), Celta's winner came in the 90th minute. Lyon have a two goal lead over Roma, that last minute screamer by Lacazette could make a huge difference

Milos Krasic

Best Serbian Footballer (2009) / Serie A Winner
Jul 1, 2008
A very solid second half by Rostov, they outplayed the United and got the equalizer.

Great European cup year for Rostov regardless of the OT game result.

Agreed. Kalachev is so solid even as an old guy.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
Do you believe in Leicester City being the last English club in Europe? Lyon-Roma big match for both leagues as well as both clubs. Ajax have to win as well.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Yea, if United lose today, or draw a game at 2-2 or more, Leicester will be the lone remaining English club in Europe.

I wonder what the odds of that prop bet would have been.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Olympiakos have been awful despite playing with a man extra for the entire second half, barely creating everything. Besiktas deserve to advance should they remain professional and close this out. Celta and Racing Genk also on the verge of the QFs

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
Gent never looked like getting back into it

It's amazing Genk failed to qualify for the Belgian championship playoffs really. They play the best football in Belgium. Their midfield is fantastic.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Diakhaby with another offensive set play goal. Nice for the kid.
1-1 after that tying scuffle for Roma.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
It's going to be a crazy game that Roma/OL game, you can feel it. Both teams are highly offensive and can't defend properly.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Christensen brings BMG ahead. You know what to do chelsea...let him slip through your fingers...

E: And Mo makes it 2 from long distance, at the very end of the first half's injury time. On a break that started with a great tackle from Christensen.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad