2016-17 UEFA Champions League - Part I

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
So most responses seem to think that Roma would beat City; what makes them overrated exactly?

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
oic

I'm with you also, on that, but I still think people overplay this whole 'EPL is overhyped' nonsense. I don't think there are many out there that believe any of the English teams are favourites for the CL or anything. Most people I see posting about the subject just think that the EPL is the best league in the world due to it's depth and parity. There's no doubt that the quality is not the best in the world, and the teams are not the best in the world either.

Now, whether that holds true in 5 years with the influx of top managers and money (also depending on the effects of Brexit I guess) remains to be seen.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
oic

I'm with you also, on that, but I still think people overplay this whole 'EPL is overhyped' nonsense. I don't think there are many out there that believe any of the English teams are favourites for the CL or anything. Most people I see posting about the subject just think that the EPL is the best league in the world due to it's depth and parity. There's no doubt that the quality is not the best in the world, and the teams are not the best in the world either.

Now, whether that holds true in 5 years with the influx of top managers and money (also depending on the effects of Brexit I guess) remains to be seen.

EPL teams are certainly not overrated HERE, but the media does overrate them.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Playoff draw...

Champions Route
Ludogorets Razgrad (BUL) vs. Viktoria Plzen (CZE)
Celtic (SCO) vs. Hapoel Beer Sheva (ISR)
FC Copenhagen (DEN) vs. APOEL Nicosia (CYP)
Dundalk (IRL) vs. Legia Warsaw (POL)
Dinamo Zagreb (CRO) vs. Red Bull Salzburg (AUT)

Celtic got a bit fortunate with the draw but Hapoel did eliminate Olympiakos so won't be too easy, APOEL has a habit of drawing teams from northern Europe and generally does well against them. Legia was the lowest seeded team but they drew the lowest unseeded team. Dinamo face Salzburg again, last two times they met Salzburg scored 9 goals against them in 2 matches but half that Salzburg team is now in the BL. Ludogorets-Plzen is the 50-50 tie of the round

League Route
Steaua Bucharest (ROU) vs. Manchester City (ENG)
FC Porto (POR) vs. Roma (ITA)
Ajax (NED) vs. Rostov (RUS)
Young Boys (SUI) vs. Borussia Monchengladbach (GER)
Villarreal (ESP) vs. Monaco (FRA)

Man City got the most ideal draw, Porto-Roma is the tie of the round and really the Italian clubs have little luck at this stage of qualifying. Ajax-Rostov is a tough one to call too. Gladbach will be happy with their draw, but Young Boys are good at home and play on artificial turf. Second season in a row Monaco draw a La Liga side in the playoffs

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Of course, the easiest would have been Ajax, but it could have been worse for Monaco.
Tough draw but doable.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Dundalk will play their home match at the Aviva Stadium in Dublin...wonder if they will sell out the stadium, but you also suspect Legia will be well supported :D

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad