2016-17 UEFA Champions League - Part I

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Villarreal were already out but that's still a terrible call. The ref was right there and couldn't see the ball struck Musacchio's back.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Monaco already pretty much through, but get a late mistaken penalty call on Musacchio and seal it.

Have to question the wisdom of firing a successful coach at such an important part of the season.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Villareal & Plzen out today. If Ajax & Salzburg join them tomorrow, and BMG takes care of business; pot 3 is still in the cards.

Last year's group was a ton of fun and lead to some awesome football, but it'd be nice for BMG to get into a group they'd be favored to advance from.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Complete meltdown in Rome as Roma finished the match with 9 men and lost 3:0 to Porto as Italian clubs continue to struggle in the CL playoffs

Celtic survive a scare in Israel but in fairness, Hapoel didn't create much in the second half and it was Celtic who created the best chance. Important for Celtic to make it back to the CL but I don't think they will do much there

Monaco beat Villarreal with a late goal and eliminate the La Liga side from the CL, impressive result overall despite some problems with Villarreal as its not often Spanish sides lose two-leg ties to teams outside of La Liga, especially in the qualifying phase. France will have three sides in the CL and hope to keep up with Portugal and Russia in the coefficient race

Elsewhere, Ludogorets return to the Champions League, Legia too advance to the CL and its their first time in the competition since 1995

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Monaco already pretty much through, but get a late mistaken penalty call on Musacchio and seal it.

Have to question the wisdom of firing a successful coach at such an important part of the season.

I don't think it was completely one sided.

Totally weird to me. But apparently, Musacchio is the main reason for it.

He wasn't the only reason but he did want to strip him of vice captain. Not sure as to why, for one thing he's been vice captain for years and two it's only a VICE captain.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I don't think it was completely one sided.

He wasn't the only reason but he did want to strip him of vice captain. Not sure as to why, for one thing he's been vice captain for years and two it's only a VICE captain.
Well, when your CAPTAIN says he'd rather play the Olympics than plays the C1 with your team, you have every reason to question him being the captain.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Well, when your CAPTAIN says he'd rather play the Olympics than plays the C1 with your team, you have every reason to question him being the captain.

Source? I've never read anything of that nature and depending how Mateo asked, I don't see what the issue would be.

BTW He's not the captain is the co captain.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Was reported everywhere. Type it on google you'll easily find it. Reported on TV here too.

I can see the issue. You're one of the leaders and you say you'd rather be elsewhere than help your team to the most prestigious club competition? You have every right to think so, but not say it aloud.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Considering how closely I follow Argentina, I doubt this happened. He might've requested to play in the Olympics but it's not like he refused to play. I did quick google search and found nothing. Please do share if you have something.

I'm thinking it has more to do with his "transfer" to AC.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
So, one line saying his issues with Musacchio started several months ago and them mentioning Mateo would prefer playing in the Olympics rather than the qualification? Yeah, as I said depending on how Musacchio asked to play, there shouldn't be an issue and from that article it's clear their problems proceeded that.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
so boring with Ludogorets. such a small club with no real fans, very plastic. levski sofia is the real bulgarian team.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
so boring with Ludogorets. such a small club with no real fans, very plastic. levski sofia is the real bulgarian team.

Surely one of the ideas of the Champions League is to give smaller teams a chance against the bigger ones, no?

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Surely one of the ideas of the Champions League is to give smaller teams a chance against the bigger ones, no?

Yes....but I think he means the club Ludogorets itself, its a plastic club, club with no tradition bought by a wealthy businessman and they have now dominated Bulgaria. But credit to them, their Euro results are quite decent for a Eastern European side outside of Russia/Ukraine, they already accomplished more than Dinamo Zagreb for example in 5 years compared to Dinamo's past 40 :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->