2016-17 UEFA Champions League - Part I

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Monaco scored after 3 minutes against Fener.
Hopefully they put Fener away quickly.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Ajax were on the ropes until the ref stopped the game for a water break, despite having something like 70% possession its the Greeks with the best chances

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Olympiakos on their way out unless they score, usually they go straight in the group stage and these qualifiers come before their season starts but it would be a shocking loss

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
And Fener scores after a blatant offside goal.

I wonder how many times Monaco will be screwed up in the CL. :shakehead

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Young Boys-Shakhtar going to ET after both teams won 2:0 at home. Anderlecht in trouble after conceding a second away goal to Rostov

Two other ties heading to ET if scores hold: PAOK-Ajax and Monaco-Fener

gnr25

May 22, 2008
Ottawa
The Uefa site is messed up for me.
So Beersheva beat Olympiacos 1-0?
Also, Emenike scored for Fenerbahce. That game is 2-1 for Monaco and the agg is all tied up 3-3.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Germain scores again and Monaco are now up 3-1. Through for the moment.

Fener scores and Monaco is out though. Falcao went out injured in the first half.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
As someone rooting for BMG; good. Bring on the upsets.

Need two of Shakhtar/Anderlecht/Ajax to go out here for them to be seeded in the final round of qualifying.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Ajax score late in Greece and will go through, but honestly they will be the seeded team everybody hopes to draw

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
The stadium in Bern is surprisingly empty for a CL qualifier, decided to watch it on a stream. Not much going on in ET meanwhile, neither team taking a risk

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
The stadium in Bern is surprisingly empty for a CL qualifier, decided to watch it on a stream. Not much going on in ET meanwhile, neither team taking a risk

YB came closest to taking the lead, hope they can follow that up and get this across the line in the second half of ET.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
BMG will be seeded now, correct? Ajax being the only team to move on with a higher coefficient at the end of last season.

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
That's correct.

Champions Route

Seeded
Viktoria Plzen (Cze)
Celtic (Sco)
Red Bull Salzburg (Aus)
APOEL (Cyp)
Legia Warsaw (Pol)

Unseeded
Ludogorets (Bul)
Dinamo Zagreb (Cro)
Copenhagen (Den)
Dundalk (Ire)
Hapoel Beer Sheva (Isr)

League Route

Seeded
Manchester City (Eng)
Villarreal (Esp)
Porto (Por)
Ajax (Net)
M'Gladbach (Ger)

Unseeded
Roma (Ita)
Monaco (Fra)
Steaua Bucharest (Rom)
Young Boys (Swi)
Rostov (Rus)

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
BMG will be seeded now, correct? Ajax being the only team to move on with a higher coefficient at the end of last season.

Yes, they are the last seeded teams, however they can still draw somebody like Roma or Monaco...but I suppose better than potentially facing Man City/Villarreal/Porto.

Also, Shakhtar and Olympiakos are out after this round; Olympiakos have been in the CL every season since 2011 while Shakhtar fail to make the CL for the first time since 2009

In the champions route the seedings are pretty balanced imo, none of the seeded teams should scare anybody. In the unseeded pot really only Dundalk is weak. For example I think Ludogorets and Copenhagen can beat any of the seeded teams, probably Dinamo too but they are in sell mode this summer after their players in Euro impressed and an uncertain future

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Yes, they are the last seeded teams, however they can still draw somebody like Roma or Monaco...but I suppose better than potentially facing Man City/Villarreal/Porto.

Also, Shakhtar and Olympiakos are out after this round; Olympiakos have been in the CL every season since 2011 while Shakhtar fail to make the CL for the first time since 2009

In the champions route the seedings are pretty balanced imo, none of the seeded teams should scare anybody. In the unseeded pot really only Dundalk is weak. For example I think Ludogorets and Copenhagen can beat any of the seeded teams, probably Dinamo too but they are in sell mode this summer after their players in Euro impressed and an uncertain future

Not too worried by the possibility of drawing Monaco/Roma, as BMG could get past any of the teams on either side of the draw, if they are on their day; as they showed last year when they outplayed Juve in both matches and outplayed City for large swaths of their matches as well. But it is much nicer this way, especially this early in the year, even if it'll still be a challenge that they must be prepared to match. Can't have a disastrous start like last season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad