Proposal: 2016-17 Trade Rumours and Proposals Thread Part XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
The reality is that at this time Lazar has little value as trade bait. Like a tumbling stock, his value is now well below what the organization had projected. Might as well hang on to him as a 4th line checking shut down guy.
He may be a late bloomer but I suspect his role has been defined after the opportunities he has been given since he broke in.

He is going to be a solid depth player and they are very useful and cheap.

I think quite a few teams would like to have him now that it has been establisbed he's never going to be top 6.

The problem isn't that Lazar is no good, it's that so many people on here bought the mindless "Canadian team first round pick" hype.

If I was able to call Lazar a bottom 6 NHLer as I watched him at the Memorial Cup and WJC, I doubt the Senators had high hopes for him offensively.

Last edited:

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006

I think quite a few teams would like to have him now that it has been establisbed he's never going to be top 6.

The problem isn't that Lazar is no good, it's that so many people on here bought the mindless "Canadian team first round pick" hype.

If I was able to call Lazar a bottom 6 NHLer as I watched him at the Memorial Cup and WJC, I doubt the Senators had high hopes for him offensively.

They may have viewed him as a good third liner. If they viewed him as anything less they wouldn't have picked him in the first round.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast

Yet, our present GM, Dorian, said himself Lazar was going to be a 30 goal scorer at the NHL level, before ever playing a game.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Yeah, it's not like we ever drafted a guy 15th overall who turned into a star.

And Alfie was picked in what? The seventh round? Datsyuk and Zetterbucks?

The fact that Karlsson is amazing and was picked 15yh overall is meaningless when looking at the overall picture: not that many players picked at 15th turn to be bluechip prospects.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
And Alfie was picked in what? The seventh round? Datsyuk and Zetterbucks?

The fact that Karlsson is amazing and was picked 15yh overall is meaningless when looking at the overall picture: not that many players picked at 15th turn to be bluechip prospects.

There's plenty of guys picked around 15 who turn into very good players. Not sure why you're disagreeing.

If you're so down on mid first rounders, then why don't we just trade our pick every year unless we're picking in the top ten?

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
There's plenty of guys picked around 15 who turn into very good players. Not sure why you're disagreeing.

If you're so down on mid first rounders, then why don't we just trade our pick every year unless we're picking in the top ten?

Because you need players like Lazar to win. Our problem is that Ryan is underperforming and MacArthur is done: that means more pressure on our depth, of which Lazar is a part.

Plenty of players picked at 15th became very good? Ok. Out of how many?

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Sorry, I didn't realize Lazar was helping us win.

I meant "win big".

Lazar looks like he might be a 25-30 point guy with great hustle. Those players are very useful.

If Ryan and/or MacArthur were playing as well as they have before, we'd all be very happy with how Lazar is playing.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
I meant "win big".

Lazar looks like he might be a 25-30 point guy with great hustle. Those players are very useful.

If Ryan and/or MacArthur were playing as well as they have before, we'd all be very happy with how Lazar is playing.

No, we wouldn't because Lazar is doing nothing. If he becomes a 25-30 point guy, I'd be thrilled. Right now he's a 1 point guy.

I hope he gets better, I really do, but it's not looking great right now. At this point I wouldn't be surprised if he's not here at the beginning of next season.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
No, we wouldn't because Lazar is doing nothing. If he becomes a 25-30 point guy, I'd be thrilled. Right now he's a 1 point guy.

I hope he gets better, I really do, but it's not looking great right now. At this point I wouldn't be surprised if he's not here at the beginning of next season.

He had 20 points last year.

Mono during the off-season, poor start, new coach, injuries and playing on the fourth line.

This season is a write-off for him, yes. He could bounce back next year and maybe then he won't be playing with Kelly and Neil who, and I love those guys (Battleship Kelly!), aren't going to help him find his offense: Kelly creates offense by defending and reading the play while Neil... Well I will say Neil is physical and this team really could use more of it, Neiler is basically done.

I'm all in favour of trading Lazar, it has not worked out here. We probably rushed him but he was dominant in Junior; it was a tough call to make. But if we trade him then it can't be for scraps either.

I'd rather give him a shot at redemption next year over letting him go for not much at all.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013

He had a concussion in Dec. http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=2159335

No reason to trade Lazar. Averaged 20 points his first two seasons in the league at an exceptionally young age. He is pretty bad this season. Making a lot of mistakes. Not producing. But there is still some bright points, he goes hard every shift. When you considering him suffering from mono which can cause fatigue well after someone is medically cleared, I am willing to bet that this season is the exception to the norm and not a fair indication of what he is.

Mono+having to learn a new system that requires tons of defensive responsibility on forwards despite missing training camp for a young player is a recipe for a terrible season.

The problem with Lazar is that he looked like a noticeable upgrade the fist game he came back to the NHL for Ottawa. If I recall, he even got a few shifts in the top 6 as a result of his play that game. We were hardly in as comfortable of a position as we are now in the standings at the time (and we're still not 100 percent safe) so I could see why they might have had the temptation to play the best guy in the NHL despite possible long term ramifications of him being unable to be sent down to the AHL. Still, at the end of the day keeping him in the NHL long enough to make him waiver eligible was very short sighted.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Maybe hes out of shape too? I think he weighed in at 209 this year and he looks heavier. Would make sense in mono and the concussion hurt his training

Hutz

Sep 7, 2007
Brassard, 1st, gagne/lazar, harpur

Enjoy
I assume you're joking, but if you're not, this is a terrible offer. Besides, Colorado is looking for a good young defenceman as part of the deal.

I disagree, I think it's actually a pretty fair offer. I'd upgrade the prospect to someone a bit better and I think that's very fair, something like Brassard+1st+Chlapik.

The thing is Colorado isn't look for a "fair" deal, they want a homerun. As you also said they want a young defenceman which we're not giving there. I don't think Icelevel's value is way off, there's just no way Colorado will make that deal - doesn't work for their wants or needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad