Proposal: 2016-17 Trade Rumours and Proposals Thread Part VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Not to mention it's easier said than done than to bring in "someone" to replace him. Top four defenceman don't grow on trees.

I understand the fear of losing Methot to expansion, but I don't see us moving any of our top four guys during the year.

For what it's worth, the expansion draft may create a market for top 4 D, should LV decide to snatch up more than they can use, and then put them on the trade market. We could also see teams trading off top 4 d to avoid losing them for nothing.

Teams have a couple options to mitigate the damage the expansion draft can do to their D corps; trade off you're top 4 D that would otherwise be left unprotected, or acquire a 5th top 4 D to ensure that after the draft, you have at least 4 remaining.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Ryan is not the topic, losing one of our top four is. You guys have become obsessed with Ryan. Let it go for a few and think outside the box.

Would you rather lose Methot (4.9M x 3), or Phaneuf (7.0M X 5) and Brown? We need a new "someone" either way.

I'd trade Ceci.

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
Not to mention it's easier said than done than to bring in "someone" to replace him. Top four defenceman don't grow on trees.

I understand the fear of losing Methot to expansion, but I don't see us moving any of our top four guys during the year.

Yeah, it won't happen unless we fall hard and management decide it's time for a rebuild. Than i could see Methot being trade to acquire draft pick.

Regarding LV, sure Methot is an attractive pick, but he's also a 30+ y/o Defenceman. If we fear the drop of a 30+ y/o player. They could also fear that and go with a younger choice.I think that Lazar is going to be a piece they are going to look at. Young 21 y/o Center with shutdown ability and good motor He could be an important piece on their 3rd line. He also have upside.

Methot is not very known outside Ottawa. He's underrated

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Don't think he can be, I think he has to be protected.

I'd love to get rid of his contract as much as the next guy but at least we're in that position with a serviceable top 4.

Pretty sure he could waive his NMC, but he won't. He has no incentive to waive.

PierresGabriels

Jan 13, 2010
Orleans
There are other teams with better players that are left open so far.

We are going to lose a Dzingle, Smith, Pageau or Puempel type.

I am not worried.

lol Pwemplé.

Honestly though, the expansion draft makes me nervous! For a team that relies heavily on depth as opposed to high end talent, the draft could really frig us.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
I'd suspect there will be a few trades to secure the "correct" pick. If they do draft Brodin, I'd trade for him if they'd do it.

We will lose a player for sure that some do not want to see go, but so will everyone else.

If they can do a UFA dance with Smith, it will help. But a Lazar, Dzingel decision is looming I think. They rest are no-brainer or have to choices (Turris, Brassard, Hoffman, Stone, Ryan, Pageau)

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Okay. Hoffman and ceci for draisaitl + 2nd (?).

2nd plus B prospect for
Marian Hossa

Logan brown plus first for trouba.

Hossa turris dzingel.

Draisaitl brassard Ryan.

I think I've posted this exact trade proposal before. But this time it includes Hossa.

Bit by bit. Master plan is being laid out.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Here's an interesting thought.

Lazar is exposed as a forward. Phaneuf waives his NMC allowing the team to protect Methot. Vegas has no interest in Phaneuf because of his contract and is going to take Lazar.

Ottawa makes the playoffs and is picking we'll say 20th. (Obviously will be 30th but trying to be modest here). What do the Sens value more? Keeping Lazar? Or keeping their first round pick? Do they send Vegas their 1st rounder, maybe with a late 2nd (if Vegas has one from dealing) or Vegas' early 3rd coming back to Ottawa with the stipulation that Vegas select a scrub instead of mostly Lazar (but also Wideman/Boro/Driedger/Smith UFA etc who will all be exposed?)

I don't know a lot about this upcoming draft other than TSN saying Patrick isn't an elite 1st line talent like in past drafts. But the premise comes down to, would you rather keep Lazar who despite not being a top level talent is still very useful, or would you rather take a mulligan on him by using that 1st rounder?

It sounds like a lot to give up, but you have to consider with the draft rules if a team is going to make side deals, they probably will be expected to almost trade for their own player by giving up something similar in value to the difference of their best exposed player and their second best exposed player. Maybe the cost is lower if Ottawa makes a side deal with the intention of Vegas taking Wideman who has some practical value to them. He's looked better this season, is signed for another year, is one of the few NHL puck moving RDs available in the draft. But at the same point, Ottawa doesn't have a 2nd in any of the two next drafts so that complicates things. I also see Vegas valuing Lazar a lot considering the much lower quality of forwards available to them in the draft.

50 in 07

Feb 10, 2016
Here's an interesting thought.

Lazar is exposed as a forward. Phaneuf waives his NMC allowing the team to protect Methot. Vegas has no interest in Phaneuf because of his contract and is going to take Lazar.

Ottawa makes the playoffs and is picking we'll say 20th. (Obviously will be 30th but trying to be modest here). What do the Sens value more? Keeping Lazar? Or keeping their first round pick? Do they send Vegas their 1st rounder, maybe with a late 2nd (if Vegas has one from dealing) or Vegas' early 3rd coming back to Ottawa with the stipulation that Vegas select a scrub instead of mostly Lazar (but also Wideman/Boro/Driedger/Smith UFA etc who will all be exposed?)

I don't know a lot about this upcoming draft other than TSN saying Patrick isn't an elite 1st line talent like in past drafts. But the premise comes down to, would you rather keep Lazar who despite not being a top level talent is still very useful, or would you rather take a mulligan on him by using that 1st rounder?

I don't see why Phaneuf would waive, he has no reason to.

If we're talking Lazar vs. a first in this years draft, I'd probably still prefer the first because even though its a weak draft that player will be under team control for longer. Plus we don't have a second this year or next. Lazar as a decent bottom 6er is valuable but not irreplaceable.

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013

If we're talking Lazar vs. a first in this years draft, I'd probably still prefer the first because even though its a weak draft that player will be under team control for longer. Plus we don't have a second this year or next. Lazar as a decent bottom 6er is valuable but not irreplaceable.

There's no guarantee Phaneuf waives, it isn't something that should be banked on, but at the same time it is a plausible enough possibility that I don't think it is all that out there to discuss. Anybody can look at Phaneuf's contract and determine that Vegas is almost certainly not going to select him despite him being a solid top 4 guy. No team other than Ottawa was willing to trade for him without Toronto retaining.

Again, it isn't something people should bank on happening, but if we're discussing all angles of the expansion draft, it is worth considering as a possibility.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

His incentive is that it keeps the team more competitive, and the risk of him being drafted by LV is minimal. I don't see him doing it, but it's possible the team offers him some sort of backroom incentives too (though I can't imagine what that would be).

As for Lazar vs a 1st, I really don't know. Totally depends on where we are drafting, and whether the scouting staff sees that many options in the draft they'd prefer over Lazar.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
I think they end of trading Lazar for a mid round pick instead of losing him. And maybe even trading Ceci because Phaneuf can play the right side.

If you're a team without any young top 3 D you like Ceci at RD is an excellent player to have. Another soft trade, a couple of mid round picks for Ceci.

By the time Ottawa gets around to the expansion draft, our best position player will be Chris Wideman.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
If Larsson gets Hall, and Larsson >= Ceci, then Ceci + Lazar + 1st could return a great forward.

Or Larsson for Hall was Oilers typical making it a bad comparison.

We'd have to expose Dzingel tho. Bleh. I hate vegas already.

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
If Larsson gets Hall, and Larsson >= Ceci, then Ceci + Lazar + 1st could return a great forward.

Or Larsson for Hall was Oilers typical making it a bad comparison.

We'd have to expose Dzingel tho. Bleh. I hate vegas already.

They could go after an expansion exempt forward like Puljujarvi out of EDM (yes I know, very low odds they move him for that package). Ultimately, they could expose Pageau and try to rely on giving Vegas a sweetener to take somebody else.

The ultimate fantasy scenario is Phaneuf waiving, and the Sens only having to worry about convincing Vegas to take Wideman instead of Lazar. That, or Lazar is used to shield an exposed Methot from being taken.

Losing Lazar sucks, but at the end of the day, it wouldn't be as franchise changing in the short term as losing Methot. I can't see the team making wholesale changes just to leverage themselves against losing Lazar. At most, they try to give Vegas a sweetener not to take him. Unless Chabot/Englund make huge strides, losing Methot sets the team back huge when they are trying to win while Karl is still under contract.

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
Ottawa should get Pontus Aberg out of Nashville to be the 3RW... he's an incredibly fast winger with a + shot

SameeTheSniper

Jun 15, 2016
Ottawa
Sens are probably gonna expose Lazar over Dzingel... I mean Dzingel was told by Dorion to get a house here... in the mean time Lazar doesn't have one.

RD in this league are hard to trade for.... I think Sens should package Ceci and Ryan.

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
Sens are probably gonna expose Lazar over Dzingel... I mean Dzingel was told by Dorion to get a house here... in the mean time Lazar doesn't have one.

RD in this league are hard to trade for.... I think Sens should package Ceci and Ryan.

Lazar has house with Stone and Wideman,

and Bobby Ryan can be exposed in the draft now

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
klein might be available. if he is then we should definitely make a play for him, seems like the player that would fit into bouchers system really well

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad