Proposal: 2016-17 Trade Rumours and Proposals Thread Part VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Oh, get Simmonds? Just get Simmonds? Why don't I strap on my Simmonds helmet and squeeze down into a Simmonds cannon and fire off into Simmonds land, where Simmonds grow on Simmondies?!

Greatest post of all time. Send this post to the hfboards hall of fame.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Oh, get Simmonds? Just get Simmonds? Why don't I strap on my Simmonds helmet and squeeze down into a Simmonds cannon and fire off into Simmonds land, where Simmonds grow on Simmondies?!

so you'll do it?? :handclap:
cooooool. let us know when you are back from Simmonds land,....with a simmonds (or...might as well grab 2 while you're there).
2 Simmonds is going to be great!

Beville

#ForTheBoys
Mar 4, 2011
Engerlanddd!

:handclap::handclap::handclap:

Glad to know you'd do that for the Team though, good man. It's not true what they say about you.

Neiler

Registered Loser
Jul 16, 2006
Is there any way Carolina would take Phaneuf to get Logan Brown? Hometown kid, Carolina has tons of cap space.

I certainly don't want to destroy the top four after not having one for so long, but I feel the same way about him as 90% of this board feels about Ryan.

A move like this would give us more cap room and open up a protection spot for the draft which we could use on Methot.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Is there any way Carolina would take Phaneuf to get Logan Brown? Hometown kid, Carolina has tons of cap space.

I certainly don't want to destroy the top four after not having one for so long, but I feel the same way about him as 90% of this board feels about Ryan.

A move like this would give us more cap room and open up a protection spot for the draft which we could use on Methot.

Replace Phaneuf with Ryan.

Neiler

Registered Loser
Jul 16, 2006
What does our defence look like without Phaneuf? Like him or not, he us a top four guy which is what we needed.

At the end of this season it's either going to look like this:

Phaneuf - Karlsson
Someone - Ceci
Boro - Wideman

Or like this with this deal:

Methot - Karlsson
Someone - Ceci
Boro - Wideman

This isn't a hard choice for me.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
At the end of this season it's either going to look like this:

Phaneuf - Karlsson
Someone - Ceci
Boro - Wideman

Or like this with this deal:

Methot - Karlsson
Someone - Ceci
Boro - Wideman

This isn't a hard choice for me.

How much is someone making? Is he any good? I don't love Phaneuf or his contract either, but how long have we been looking for a top 4 dman? How many other guys did we try and have them fail miserably?

If we could move one of Phaneuf or Ryan, I move Ryan easily.

Neiler

Registered Loser
Jul 16, 2006
How much is someone making? Is he any good? I don't love Phaneuf or his contract either, but how long have we been looking for a top 4 dman? How many other guys did we try and have them fail miserably?

If we could move one of Phaneuf or Ryan, I move Ryan easily.

Ryan is not the topic, losing one of our top four is. You guys have become obsessed with Ryan. Let it go for a few and think outside the box.

Would you rather lose Methot (4.9M x 3), or Phaneuf (7.0M X 5) and Brown? We need a new "someone" either way.

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
Ryan is not the topic, losing one of our top four is. You guys have become obsessed with Ryan. Let it go for a few and think outside the box.

Would you rather lose Methot (4.9M x 3), or Phaneuf (7.0M X 5) and Brown? We need a new "someone" either way.

I could see LV plucking Lazar away from the Sens

Assuming they protect
Turris, Brassard, Hoffman, Stone, Ryan, Dzingle, Pageau

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
What does our defence look like without Phaneuf? Like him or not, he us a top four guy which is what we needed.

But if you move Phaneuf, you can protect Methot. If you move Ryan, we likely lose Methot in the expansion draft.

I highly doubt either (Ryan of Phaneuf) get moved, but if I had to choose, it would be Phaneuf due to the expansion draft.

edit: btw, I absolutely hate the idea of moving Brown to save the couple million dollars that Ryan/Phaneuf are overpaid by. If we move Brown with Ryan and replace Ryan with a similar impact player at say 5 mil, we're essentially trading brown to save 2.25 mil, not to mention any assets we move to acquire this hypothetical replacement player. Same goes with Phaneuf. If we move him with Brown and then sign or trade for a top 4 Dman to replace him, we save a couple mil at the cost of a top prospect.

I get that people think Ryan and Phaneuf are destined to regress to the point that they are no longer useful in any way, but if and when that time comes, we look into trading them or just buy them out instead of giving up quality assets to shed them.

Last edited:

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
But if you move Phaneuf, you can protect Methot. If you move Ryan, we likely lose Methot in the expansion draft.

I highly doubt either (Ryan of Phaneuf) get moved, but if I had to choose, it would be Phaneuf due to the expansion draft.

Fair point, but either way I don't want to move Logan Brown just to dump a bad contract.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

And what if you move Phaneuf, and Methot suddenly reverts back to glass man? Then you need 2 someones, and have one less elite prospect in the barn.

We have to keep in mind that Methot has had a lot of nagging injury problems over his career, and he could fall off a cliff at any time.

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
Fair point, but either way I don't want to move Logan Brown just to dump a bad contract.

Especially with all the ''bad asset management'' comment we see these day on this forum.

Trading Logan Brown to get rid of Phaneuf contract would not be "good asset management".

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Especially with all the ''bad asset management'' comment we see these day on this forum.

Trading Logan Brown to get rid of Phaneuf contract would not be "good asset management".

Not to mention it's easier said than done than to bring in "someone" to replace him. Top four defenceman don't grow on trees.

I understand the fear of losing Methot to expansion, but I don't see us moving any of our top four guys during the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad