Proposal: 2016-17 Trade Rumours and Proposals Thread Part VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
IMO we should stand pat if we have inside sources that there is a good chance Tavares could be available in trade discussions soon or in a year from now.

Tavares on this team would put us on top. Him and EK together will be perfect core.

For now just make 1for1 trades or equivalent value trades (roster player plus prospect for slightly better/different roster player) until then.

I wouldn't even make a move yet until January. Except if it entails Bobby Ryan.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
IMO we should stand pat if we have inside sources that there is a good chance Tavares could be available in trade discussions soon or in a year from now.

Tavares on this team would put us on top. Him and EK together will be perfect core.

For now just make 1for1 trades or equivalent value trades (roster player plus prospect for slightly better/different roster player) until then.

We'd have to gut the team for Tavares. I don't see it happening. Plus, you'd also have to make sure there is a new deal in place, otherwise you gut the team only to have him walk at the end of next season.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
We'd have to gut the team for Tavares. I don't see it happening. Plus, you'd also have to make sure there is a new deal in place, otherwise you gut the team only to have him walk at the end of next season.

Don't think we would need to gut the team at all.

Two of: Brown/White/Chlapik/Dahlen one of: Turris/Hoffman/Brassard and 1st round pick

People overrate prospects. The only thing we would lose is 1 or maybe 2 roster players but we would in return acquire a 26/27 year old top 5-7 center in the league.

Hoffman-Tavares-Stone
Dzingel-Brassard/Turris-(Ryan replacement)
Bottom 6

Methot-Karlsson
Chabot-Phaneuf
Jaros-Ceci

Yes pls

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI

If you think we have a shot at JT, your dreaming

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
If you think we have a shot at JT, your dreaming

If we offer Brown+White+Turris+1st.... who can provide better offer?

Legit top line C prospect, NHL ready top prospect in white, number 1B C in Turris and a 1st.

The only thing we need to be concerned about is his availability. Aside from that, I'd presume we'd definitely lead the charge for his services.

If we wanna keep Karlsson, a prime elite center is what it'll take.

QuattroFTW

Nov 4, 2009
Ottawa

Legit top line C prospect, NHL ready top prospect in white, number 1B C in Turris and a 1st.

The only thing we need to be concerned about is his availability. Aside from that, I'd presume we'd definitely lead the charge for his services.

Your last point hits the nail on the head. Karlsson is a generational talent that doesn't come around too often and he absolutely needs to be the centerpiece of this organization in terms of on ice product and for Melnyks bottom dollar. Losing Karlsson to FA would be a death sentence for this team and city. If Karlsson were to stay I believe we will have to have a clear plan and players in place that can legitimately take us deep in the playoffs. The roster we have now is not going to do that. I've heard the "but Karlssons GF/now-fiance is from Ottawa of course he'll stay!". Karlsson is a multi-millionaire who can move wherever he wants with his soon to be wife. Leaving this city to play for a cup contending organization is not going to put ANY strain on his personal life.

50 in 07

Feb 10, 2016

Just stop. Tavares isn't going anywhere he is the face of their franchise.

And from our side, you really think Ottawa is offering the equivalent of 3 first round picks + Turris for a guy who could walk a year later? You really think JT is gonna re-sign in Ottawa of all places? Even if we somehow could convince him to sign here, you think we would then be able to re-sign Karlsson a year later? Both of them are going to command massive 7 or 8 year deals because you're buying UFA years at that point.

Talking about acquiring guys like Tavares is pointless. This isn't NHL17 where you can just add assets until the little trade value bar gets big enough.

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
UFAs this past summer
Grabber 1.6 million = 11G
Gagne .650 = 7G

All would have fit in with our budget... we need better pro scouts so we can get these guys and not the Kelly's and Pyatts.

That would be a step in the right direction

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
UFAs this past summer
Grabber 1.6 million = 11G
Gagne .650 = 7G

All would have fit in with our budget... we need better pro scouts so we can get these guys and not the Kelly's and Pyatts.

We wouldn't have the 3rd best PK in the league then, improving from 29th or whatever. Sounds like good asset management to me.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Don't think we would need to gut the team at all.

Two of: Brown/White/Chlapik/Dahlen one of: Turris/Hoffman/Brassard and 1st round pick

People overrate prospects. The only thing we would lose is 1 or maybe 2 roster players but we would in return acquire a 26/27 year old top 5-7 center in the league.

Hoffman-Tavares-Stone
Dzingel-Brassard/Turris-(Ryan replacement)
Bottom 6

Methot-Karlsson
Chabot-Phaneuf
Jaros-Ceci

Yes pls

Reverse the roles and say we had Tavares. Would you the offer you presented?

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
If Tavares becomes tradeable it will be because JT wants out or the Isles are burning it down. It won't be us asking for Tavares when the Isles don't want to trade him.

If the Isles dont want to trade him, the price will be insane.

If its JT wanting out or Isles burning it down, players of that calibre never go for as much as HF thinks.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
If Tavares becomes tradeable it will be because JT wants out or the Isles are burning it down. It won't be us asking for Tavares when the Isles don't want to trade him.

If the Isles dont want to trade him, the price will be insane.

If its JT wanting out or Isles burning it down, players of that calibre never go for as much as HF thinks.
Well I think that's why or how rkl would propose that trade. If he wants out.

Mm when was the last time a player of Tavares prestige was traded? This is a bonafide number 1 two way point producing dominant center. In his prime.

50 in 07

Feb 10, 2016
Naw, i'd want Stone+Chabot+White+1st

I'm just hoping they take Turris instead of Stone.

So you want them to accept the offer centered around our older, significantly worse player who plays the exact same position.

Do you realize how dumb this sounds from their point of view? Tavares on the block could get them significantly better, NHL proven assets. Not a 27 year old 1B centre and futures.

That would be like them offering Hamonic + Barzal + Dal Colle + 1st for Karlsson.

SameeTheSniper

Jun 15, 2016
Ottawa
Tavares is great and all... I wouldn't be keen on giving up too much, since theres the risk in losing him

White 1st and Stone would be the most I would be willing to give up for Tavares.

There are other superstars I'd want the Sens to go after though since they could come at a cheap price... like Joe Thorton, pending UFA.

I also think the Sens should show interest in Rick Nash.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
So you want them to accept the offer centered around our older, significantly worse player who plays the exact same position.

Do you realize how dumb this sounds from their point of view? Tavares on the block could get them significantly better, NHL proven assets. Not a 27 year old 1B centre and futures.

That would be like them offering Hamonic + Barzal + Dal Colle + 1st for Karlsson.

Umm. That's not a bad offer for karlsson lol IF karlsson makes it known he wants out.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Well I think that's why or how rkl would propose that trade. If he wants out.

Exactly, or if NYI blowing it up because of their terrible situation. Im not proposing a random trade now, only if the circumstances arise, which they could.

Firstly, they would want to replace Tavares's position, they are trading a top 5-7 center in the league so obviously it isn't going to be anything close. What other team would offer better? I could think of SJ packaging Couture if Thornton leaves but will the be able to afford Tavares over Couture? Turris slows down the bleeding and White/Brown provide future talent to replace top line duties.

Also, Karlsson's value is significantly higher than Tavares'

If we had Tavares, the offer I'd let him go for Stone+Chabot+White+1st but if he wants out/NYI tryna trade him, it might be lesser

50 in 07

Feb 10, 2016
Firstly, they would want to replace Tavares's position, they are trading a top 5-7 center in the league so obviously it isn't going to be anything close. What other team would offer better? I could think of SJ packaging Couture if Thornton leaves but will the be able to afford Tavares over Couture? Turris slows down the bleeding and White/Brown provide future talent to replace top line duties.

If NYI are trading Tavares, they are either blowing it up or making a hockey deal. Turris + futures obviously isn't a hockey deal for them. So, if they are rebuilding then they sell him off for the best package, who cares if it's a C or a D they need both since Leddy isn't exactly a franchise d-man.

Now off the top of my head there's a bunch of teams that have been looking for a 1C for literally years who would pay significant assets.

-Montreal would pay a ton to get him to try to get a cup with their current core. They would easily offer Galchenyuk+.

-St. Louis, same thing try to win with their current core. They could offer Parayko+

-Minnesota, same thing, Dumba+

-Nashville, has Johansen but he could be more suitable for 2nd line duties and bump Fisher down to 3C. They could offer Forsberg+

All of these packages offer young, NHL proven roster players and then obviously add an A prospect and a first or something along those lines. If I'm NYI, that seems much more attractive than receiving a 27 year old and no other proven NHL talent. Proven > potential, especially when you're talking about trading a player of this caliber. I'm sure there's other examples that I haven't thought of (Werenski? Brodie? Hanifin/Faulk? Trouba? etc)

TL, DR: there is no way you can argue that Turris++ is the best thing they could and would be offered for Tavares if they decided to blow it up.

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014
As long as we have Turris and Brassard as our top 2 centers we will not get noticeably better.

It's obviously not ideal, I'd love a legit #1 center. That being said, Rangers did get to the finals with Brassard/Stepan which is almost identical to our situation. We'd have to get waaaaaay better everywhere else though.

Last edited:

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
lol, Tavares has no ties or loyalty to Ottawa. We would be gutting our team to basically watch him to Toronto for free in a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad