Line Combos: 2016-17 Team Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
It's not throwing under the bus when it's true.

Condon was 38 out of 38 goalies. He was a rookie or whatever you want to say but he didn't produce and that's why he ended up on waivers.

No matter how "true" it is, it's bad form for a coach to throw a young goalie who was put in an impossible position, under the bus during a post-game presser. Of course he didn't produce, he was in over his head. However, this is not a player that a coach should have pointed a finger at. It wasn't for lack of effort, he just couldn't give what he didn't have. The GM failed to address the back-up goalie issue prior to the start of last season, which led to Condon. Obviously, the GM learned something this time around.

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
It's not throwing under the bus when it's true.

Condon was 38 out of 38 goalies. He was a rookie or whatever you want to say but he didn't produce and that's why he ended up on waivers.

Carey Price is one of the best players in the game of course he makes your team better. It's like saying Crosby wouldn't make the habs better. MB philosophy is you build from the net out and your goalie is your most important player. Gainey had the same philosophy too.

He threw Condon under the bus. Condon was awful last year and Bergevin traded for a even worst goalie when he realized Condon was not up to the task. Like Bergevin said " its on me". Management show their incompetence past season. Hope things will be different starting Thursday and going forward.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
I'm a big PK Subban fan.

But, I have to admit, short term, Weber is a better fit for our team. Our young guys were the big personalities in the room (Subban, Pacioretty, Gallagher, Galchenyuk). Markov and Plekanec, while they prepare themselves well, aren't the biggest personalities in the room. Weber is a seasoned veteran. Although he's not the most vocal, he has a presence. Perhaps in a way similar to Bob Gainey. It will also help that he's more even keel on the ice. Subban could make more over the top outstanding plays compared to Weber. But Weber seems to make the simpler decision more often, avoiding turnovers.

Weber should have won a norris by now. In my books, and the books of many, before last year he was the best two way dman in the game.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Yikes, as pretty much what a lot of people thought...Bergevins evaluation of players very limited and they want to use Condon as scapegoat.

Condon the scapegoat for last year...OK sure Marc. Nice job by yourself, and da coach!!

As I have said before, Carey Price makes all the problems go away...both MT and MB owe their salaries to Price...

I read Bergevin's quote and I'm not seeing what you guys are seeing. At first glance there wasn't a single thing he said that's wrong. Weber is solid and Price is fantastic -- not exactly much of a debating point.

Does every compliment to either player have to be rewoven as a subtle shot at the guy they replaced?

I mean, let's face it -- if Price is the foundation, Condon was the sinkhole.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
He threw Condon under the bus. Condon was awful last year and Bergevin traded for a even worst goalie when he realized Condon was not up to the task. Like Bergevin said " its on me". Management show their incompetence past season. Hope things will be different starting Thursday and going forward.

I agree with this, but years of marriage have taught me the value of not picking at the past. Can we frikkin move on already? Bergevin is happy with his goalie and his new d-man. Do we have to run this statement through Google-Translate?

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
f-582x600.jpg

d.jpg

The Habs final roster for opening night. With Petry on IR, we have 24 players. Someone's going by the time Petry comes back in Ottawa on Saturday or in Montreal on Tuesday.

Another interesting note to me is that all 8 of our defensemen are at least 6' tall and 200lbs (Markov is our smallest at exactly that height and weight).

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Petry is 6'3??

NHL.com, HockeyDB, Elite Prospects all have him at 6'3". Wikipedia have him at 1.9m which converts exactly to 6.236 feet.

The one that is interesting is that last year, Byron was listed at 5'7", but now is at 5'9". It's amazing to see a 27 year old man growing two inches. :laugh:

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
No matter how "true" it is, it's bad form for a coach to throw a young goalie who was put in an impossible position, under the bus during a post-game presser. Of course he didn't produce, he was in over his head. However, this is not a player that a coach should have pointed a finger at. It wasn't for lack of effort, he just couldn't give what he didn't have. The GM failed to address the back-up goalie issue prior to the start of last season, which led to Condon. Obviously, the GM learned something this time around.

I was commenting on MB's comments which were not at a post game presser, he just said them. And MB was saying that it was his mistake that he didn't have the proper foundation with Price out and that he had to rely on Condon who didn't do the job. The guy isn't on the team anymore so I see no harm in speaking the truth. And MB didn't rip him he put it lightly but it is true that Condon failed and yes that is on MB for trusting him.

As you I think he learned something and thats why he has Al here and Condon is a Penguin.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Byron could be 5'10 but he's still 140 lbs wet. Weight matters so much more than height when talking about smurf-ness. According to the Habs, Byron weighs less and is taller than Desharnais... a stiff breeze can knock him over :laugh:

These fake stats are so silly.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Can't believe Bryan Flynn is on the roster

I'm personally fine with that. He's replaceable, but we have him so I'm okay with keeping him. He is perfectly designed to be a 13th forward who can step in on a 4th or 3rd line. Great at face-offs, fast, defensively responsible, and has some good stick handling. He's even good in a shoot-out. Very appreciated by the team and coaching staff.

I know Andrighetto is preferred over Flynn. He has more upside. But is Andrighetto suited to be a 13th forward? He's a better replacement if someone gets hurt in the top-9 and Flynn is better for the bottom-6. But Andrighetto's value is higher (due to his age and potential upside). And we have someone like McCarron and Hudon who can get the call up and be sent back down without needing waivers.

So between Flynn and Andrighetto, I believe Ghetto is more expendable.

Kraken Jokes

May 28, 2010
I like having Andrighetto, having more NHL games played, around to keep the pressure on Lehkonen, Carr and Danault (to a lesser extent).

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Byron could be 5'10 but he's still 140 lbs wet. Weight matters so much more than height when talking about smurf-ness. According to the Habs, Byron weighs less and is taller than Desharnais... a stiff breeze can knock him over :laugh:

These fake stats are so silly.

Why would these stats be fake??? Like, what's the point? The game is played on ice ...

Shaw with his 179 lb is the toughest forward on this team.

Height and weight are not always the best indicator of the type of player.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I'm personally fine with that. He's replaceable, but we have him so I'm okay with keeping him. He is perfectly designed to be a 13th forward who can step in on a 4th or 3rd line. Great at face-offs, fast, defensively responsible, and has some good stick handling. He's even good in a shoot-out. Very appreciated by the team and coaching staff.

I know Andrighetto is preferred over Flynn. He has more upside. But is Andrighetto suited to be a 13th forward? He's a better replacement if someone gets hurt in the top-9 and Flynn is better for the bottom-6. But Andrighetto's value is higher (due to his age and potential upside). And we have someone like McCarron and Hudon who can get the call up and be sent back down without needing waivers.

So between Flynn and Andrighetto, I believe Ghetto is more expendable.

Flynn can be replaced for 4th line duties by either Terry or DeLaRose. Ghetto's skill set is harder to find, not easier.

The one that is interesting is that last year, Byron was listed at 5'7", but now is at 5'9". It's amazing to see a 27 year old man growing two inches. :laugh:

It's the Shea Weber effect :naughty:

Last edited by a moderator:

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
I can't wrap my head around the fact that a [relatively] grown man like Byron, playing a professional sport in its most elite league, can be 160 pounds.

Putting up some weight/muscle isn't hard, especially with that kind of frame.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
I can't wrap my head around the fact that a [relatively] grown man like Byron, playing a professional sport in its most elite league, can be 160 pounds.

Putting up some weight/muscle isn't hard, especially with that kind of frame.

I have no idea why he's listed at 160 lb , he doesn't look small ...

Plek is listed at 5'11" and 196 lb and Byron at 5'9" and 160 lb but on this pic Byron looks bigger than Plek and almost the same height...

Group_Web.jpg

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
NHL.com, HockeyDB, Elite Prospects all have him at 6'3". Wikipedia have him at 1.9m which converts exactly to 6.236 feet.

They lied!

diskkkk

Dec 1, 2012
I have no idea why he's listed at 160 lb , he doesn't look small ...

Plek is listed at 5'11" and 196 lb and Byron at 5'9" and 160 lb but on this pic Byron looks bigger than Plek and almost the same height...

Group_Web.jpg

Scherbak looks 160 lb on that pic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad