Salary Cap: 2016-17 Roster Building XXV | Fire Sales and Bargain Bins

Status
Not open for further replies.

888 98 twins

Got you back not your wallet
Feb 12, 2008
Burgh
I'm waiting for Bob Pompeani's full JR sit down interview today on the TDL to be posted on KDKA so y'all can watch it but some cliffs of what JR said:

-team needs health and to elevate their play to compete for a Cup again
-said he's in the mix with talking to other GM's and willing to listen on anything
-said he'd do something if it made sense
-said yes, trading draft picks to win right now is something to do(ie. rentals) but you also have to balance that with keeping your draft picks to restock the cupboard
-prefers keeping MM/MAF til the seasons over and the biggest takeaway was...

-he said he's been in enough communication with MAF and his agent to know he'll be able to do whats best for the team when it comes to that tipping point with the ED.

That last one leads me to believe MAF is willing to waive if it comes to that.

I'll post the full interview as soon as it gets online.

I'm betting Fleury agreed to waive his NMC after the season for a chance to win the starting job with the Pens this year. Maybe hoping more than betting.

JR could have basically told him that we're going to trade him to LV for nothing if he doesn't waive. So at least if he waives, he has a chance of remaining a Pen after the ED. Maybe. Hopefully.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
ETA: Here's the full sit down in 2 parts:

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/vide...on-one-with-penguins-gm-jim-rutheford-part-1/

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/vide...on-one-with-penguins-gm-jim-rutheford-part-2/

Full cliffs:

-Schultz will be a priority. In the prime of his career.
-doesn't feel pressure to make a move at this point
-team hasn't got to the level it's capable of but lot of good individual efforts this year
-as a team it all hasn't come together yet like last year
-need to get healthy and elevate our game. ratchet it up a couple levels
-as long as we do that, haven't seen any team we aren't capable of beating
-but with all that said, i'll be in the mix with other GM's with whats going on and maybe theres something out there that does make sense that we can add depth at a certain position

When asked when/if he gets calls on MAF, will he listen?

(JR) I'll listen and if anything comes along, i'll bring it to the goalie and talk about it but i have the utmost respect for MAF and i know it's been a difficult situation for him. He's used to playing the majority of the games. He's still a really good goalie. He will be for a number of years but we do have the expansion coming up. We have the Cap to look at next year and of course we're trying to win a SC so it's a little bit of a difficult situation but in an ideal world having both of those goalies going into the PO's will be good for us but we don't always work in an ideal world so we'll see what plays out here in the next few weeks.

When asked if he's forced to do something now or can he wait?

(JR) We can wait til it's time to put our expansion draft list in. I'm not concerned about getting backed into a corner in any way as far as our protected list goes with our goalies. I've had enough communication with Marc's agent and with him to know that we'll be able to make the right decisions for the team at that time.

When asked if it's been a distraction?

(JR) No, theres not gonna be a distraction. We have too strong a group in that room and too strong of personalities and charachter in Fleury and Murray and you're not gonna find a better professional athlete than MAF.

Pompeani said he gets calls about what to add and he'd guess JR would like to add a vet puck moving D-man to the group cuz the PO's are relenting with shot blocking, etc. and you need bodies back there.

(JR) We need as many good players as we can get when we start into the PO's and when you look at the Penguins compared to other teams, we didn't get as long a break as others last year (cuz of the Cup run). We played a compact schedule. We got guys that played in the WCup. We got Sid that also went to the All-Star game. These guys have played alot of hockey and they're gonna get tired at times. They're gonna get broken down. They're more apt to get injured. So the more good players you can have going into the PO's, that makes sense.

But theres a price to be paid for adding depth guys and we've gone a long time here trading away picks for depth. Right now we're sitting with 8 draft picks going into this years draft and there comes a point in time where you have to do everything you can to win a Championship but you also have to fill up the cupboard and it gets bare when you move em so i'd really like to keep our draft picks or as many as we can to start gettin' more prospects in the pipeline.

Bob asks him if he feels good about the forward depth with the youngsters on the roster + Jake + Sunny + Sprong.

(JR) We have enough depth at forward. The crop that came up last year played very well. Now we have Guentzel this year. He's showed he's ready to play and make a difference. We got Sunny who's been hurt but he's healthy now and he could come in and play immediately. We got Sprong in JR. He'll be available to us so if the right forward came along in a depth position, we'd consider that but also on Defense, adding as many D-Men as we can would be a good thing.

Bob asks about the playoff format/seeding now and how important it is to win the Metro division?

(JR) In most years, winning our division would be important to us. Don't see it as something we should pressure our players to try and win our division because they've been through so much. Played alot of hockey. We want to be fresh going into the PO's. I'm not concerned about the Pens being able to win games on the road. We can win in any building we play in as long as we're playing 100% so i don't think this is the year our coach should be squeezing our play sayin' we have to win 1st place because we don't have to win 1st to win a SC.

Bob asks about toughness. To what degree do you have to add toughness?

(JR) I don't think you have to improve toughness. We have team toughness. We have guys who can play in those though games. We don't have a physical team that can take it to the other team in a physical way but we can recieve it and continue to play. If theres a physical/tough guy out there that can fit into our lineup and actually play, then, i'll go get that guy. But those guys are hard to find. I like the way our team plays. I like our team speed. I like how we stick together. We didn't have team toughness last year and we won the SC so i don't see why we have to change.

Fin.

Last edited:

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
-Schultz will be a priority. In the prime of his career.

When asked if he's forced to do something [about Fleury] now or can he wait?

-We can wait til it's time to put our expansion draft list in. I'm not concerned about getting backed into a corner in any way as for as our protected list goes with our goalies. I've had enough communication with Marc's agent and with him to know that we'll be able to make the right decisions for the team at that time.

giphy.gif

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Yea, those were the biggest takeaways.
We all sort of figured that they've(JR/MAF/Agent) had the discussion and come to a solution where MAF can play in PIT for one last season and theres no fear of anything going horribly wrong for the roster moving forward. ie. JR isn't put in a bind.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

-he said he's been in enough communication with MAF and his agent to know he'll be able to do whats best for the team when it comes to that tipping point with the ED.

That's certainly what it sounds like. And honestly? It wouldn't surprise me at all. It's quite possible that JR said as much to MAF this summer. I can trade you now, or you can give me your assurances that if I can't find a move before the ED that you'll waive. This gives you a chance to win back your job, and a chance at winning another cup with this team, but won't hurt the team long term.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
My personal belief has always been that MAF will want to be moved, regardless of NTC. I believe of his wish list of things, him getting 60 starts a year is right there at the top. Him not going into every game knowing he's going to play, and then getting a chance to play knowing that no matter how well he does he's going to sit...that's killing him right now.

I'm really hoping a contending team has a big time injury in goal and all of a sudden we become their besties.

The odds of a contending team being so close that they'd want MAF AND not already having a goalie that they'd want/need/prefer to protect is probably pretty slim. In fact other than perhaps Philly, I can't think of a single team that would fit that criteria.

TorstenFrings

lebenslang gruenweiss
Apr 25, 2012
Bremen
The odds of a contending team being so close that they'd want MAF AND not already having a goalie that they'd want/need/prefer to protect is probably pretty slim. In fact other than perhaps Philly, I can't think of a single team that would fit that criteria.

Wait, you think Philly is that close?

The fans also say that Stolarz is their future goalie and requires protection in the ED.

Dallas at least definitely has no one to protect. Carolina neither. But, yeah, the teams that are "that close" do have a decent goalie. Probably a hen-egg-kinda-thing too.

Gallatin

A Banksy of Goonism
Mar 4, 2010
Pittsburgh
JR understands that effort and consistency is the key thing this team needs to improve on to win the Cup. That means it's a daily conversation right now with the coaching staff. The staff knows it's the most important thing, it's obviously their primary focus right now, and we have seen some improvements effort wise in recent games IMO.

Based on this conversation, I think it's possible guys like Bonino could be dealt at the deadline if they don't pick it up significantly effort wise. Honestly I would prefer it. A couple more new guys in the locker room hungry for a Cup could be the difference. Bonino has really blown it this year.

We are safe from having to risk buying out MAF if we can't trade him to one of his prefered teams. As another poster mentioned, clearly, he has told Rutherford that he will wave his no trade clause if need be at the expansion draft in order to stay with the team this season.

I wonder if he still wants to stay here now that he has no hope of beating out Murray. The MAF trade could still happen, and net us a Defenseman and or Forward. But it won't be made in order to avoid the ED, but because its what MAF wants. That's for sure apparently.

JR is clearly focused on adding defensive depth, does not want to give up an early pick for it though.

I almost cried when I heard this interview. JR gets it. The old coot sure knows his hockey, and will make the right decisions down the stretch run based on what i heard tonight.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
JR understands that effort and consistency is the key thing this team needs to improve on to win the Cup. That means it's a daily conversation right now with the coaching staff. The staff knows it's the most important thing, it's obviously their primary focus right now, and we have seen some improvements effort wise in recent games IMO.

Based on this conversation, I think it's possible guys like Bonino could be dealt at the deadline if they don't pick it up significantly effort wise. Honestly I would prefer it. A couple more new guys in the locker room hungry for a Cup could be the difference. Bonino has really blown it this year.

We are safe from having to risk buying out MAF if we can't trade him to one of his prefered teams. As another poster mentioned, clearly, he has told Rutherford that he will wave his no trade clause if need be at the expansion draft in order to stay with the team this season.

I wonder if he still wants to stay here now that he has no hope of beating out Murray. The MAF trade could still happen, and net us a Defenseman and or Forward. But it won't be made in order to avoid the ED, but because its what MAF wants. That's for sure apparently.

JR is clearly focused on adding defensive depth, does not want to give up an early pick for it though.

I almost cried when I heard this interview. JR gets it. The old coot sure knows his hockey, and will make the right decisions down the stretch run based on what i heard tonight.

I apologize as I've been very busy at work the last two weeks, but where/when did this develop? Or what gave you the idea that it's set in stone?

Edit.. I see the quote. I like reading that quote.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
With the MAF situation pretty much settled, i imagine JR is looking at things like moving Maatta if he can find the right package/D-Man coming back.

The other pile of things that he may be looking at is moving guys like Kuhnackl, Pouliot, or mayyyybe Wilson.
I believe this is the most doable to get a cheap vet D-Man to add to the mix.

Then for me, the extreme maybe pile would be moving a Bones or Fehr.
I don't think he'd move either but i'm not 100% sure.

Also, i'm wondering if something happened like MAF actually wants to go to LV after looking at all the other rosters and JR simply trades him to them for some assets. LV would basically be paying minimal assets and getting MAF + one of our roster players instead of paying no assets and only getting MAF as their 1 PIT selection.

Last edited:

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
If, and I still caution if, MAF has agreed to waive, then I would wait til expansion. For many reasons.

1) LV might just flat out take MAF. Saves us a lot of issues.
2) If we keep MAF, his trade value goes up after ED. And typically in the offseason, value is higher than midseason.
3) There is no rush to eat cap space or do anything else if he's agreed to let Murray be protected.

I always thought this "agreement" is the best case for all parties. MAF gets to choose where he's going instead of JR pulling the trigger on call #1. Pens obviously protect their youth. Everyone wins. Nobody is selfish.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
I dont know why anyone thought GMJR was risking it on blind faith, he obviously had/has a good idea that he will waive or is tradable.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
If, and I still caution if, MAF has agreed to waive, then I would wait til expansion. For many reasons.

1) LV might just flat out take MAF. Saves us a lot of issues.
2) If we keep MAF, his trade value goes up after ED. And typically in the offseason, value is higher than midseason.
3) There is no rush to eat cap space or do anything else if he's agreed to let Murray be protected.

I always thought this "agreement" is the best case for all parties. MAF gets to choose where he's going instead of JR pulling the trigger on call #1. Pens obviously protect their youth. Everyone wins. Nobody is selfish.

Could have been family reasons for MAF wanting to stay another year too, and so it just worked out for both parties to agree on the ED waiver ahead of time, and let things play out. So far, MAF has gotten us through some MM injuries and put up points, if not stellar stats. So you can't call it a complete waste.

I don't really see another obvious place to have put his cap space this year anyways, considering all of the spending we'll need to do this offseason. And as of next summer, it will be pretty clear to MAF he needs to waive for a trade (not just the ED) or sit on the bench.

Edit, speaking of spending money, I'm very surprised we don't have a Sheary extension yet.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
Because it wasn't spelled out. And because we struggle with trusting management after the **** show we had for years.

1. That's a you problem. He has said on multiple occasions that he snot worried about expansion and people chose not to listen to it.

2. Trusting management that has won the Stanley Cup last year? What has THIS management team ever done to earn mistrust?

Its just easier to be a chicken little than to be rational.

Gallatin

A Banksy of Goonism
Mar 4, 2010
Pittsburgh
1. That's a you problem. He has said on multiple occasions that he snot worried about expansion and people chose not to listen to it.

2. Trusting management that has won the Stanley Cup last year? What has THIS management team ever done to earn mistrust?

He did plenty his first season here to earn mistrust. Plenty of mistakes, and fixed them all by February the next year. :)

Ramzi you are a ray of light in the dungeon that is our board. Honestly, how do you stand it here with that great attitude of yours?

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
He did plenty his first season here to earn mistrust. Plenty of mistakes, and fixed them all by February the next year. :)

Ramzi you are a ray of light in the dungeon that is our board. Honestly, how do you stand it here with that great attitude of yours?

He's got a point there. People ARE ridiculous here and this place would be more fun if they stopped acting like GMJR is their unfaithful spouse.

Or at least, own it, ya know?

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I'm waiting for Bob Pompeani's full JR sit down interview today on the TDL to be posted on KDKA so y'all can watch it but some cliffs of what JR said:

-team needs health and to elevate their play to compete for a Cup again
-said he's in the mix with talking to other GM's and willing to listen on anything
-said he'd do something if it made sense
-said yes, trading draft picks to win right now is something to do(ie. rentals) but you also have to balance that with keeping your draft picks to restock the cupboard

I like it. The one thing we will never really see is the discussions that take place between MAF, JR, and MAF's agent.

My only worry is that MAF will refuse to waive for the ED and force the buy out so that he can go where ever he wants and we are stuck with the buyout hit.

My personal belief has always been that MAF will want to be moved, regardless of NTC. I believe of his wish list of things, him getting 60 starts a year is right there at the top. Him not going into every game knowing he's going to play, and then getting a chance to play knowing that no matter how well he does he's going to sit...that's killing him right now.

I'm really hoping a contending team has a big time injury in goal and all of a sudden we become their besties.

I don't think he'd ask for the trade to anywhere. I think its a "hey Marc, here's who is interested" and then he thinks about it and determines where he thinks he wants to go.

Assets on Winnik and Despres-Lovejoy were pretty rough. The 1st for Perron was numbing too.

I mean, it all worked out, yes, but don't act like the FO has been flawless. A SC masks a lot but...

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013

He made mistakes sure i agree with that but they weren't from being unprepared or not knowing his own team just regular personnel errors.

There's nothing to lead me to think that he doesnt have a read on Fleury, but there still a chance he could botch a trade if made.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
I like it. The one thing we will never really see is the discussions that take place between MAF, JR, and MAF's agent.

My only worry is that MAF will refuse to waive for the ED and force the buy out so that he can go where ever he wants and we are stuck with the buyout hit.

I don't think he'd ask for the trade to anywhere. I think its a "hey Marc, here's who is interested" and then he thinks about it and determines where he thinks he wants to go.

Assets on Winnik and Despres-Lovejoy were pretty rough. The 1st for Perron was numbing too.

I mean, it all worked out, yes, but don't act like the FO has been flawless. A SC masks a lot but...

I agree that he's made bad moves but nothing near the level negligence of not having enough knowledge about this whole situation to put it on blind faith that it will all just work out.

Shaftception

Apr 6, 2011
Bob asks about the playoff format/seeding now and how important it is to win the Metro division?

(JR) In most years, winning our division would be important to us. Don't see it as something we should pressure our players to try and win our division because they've been through so much. Played a lot of hockey. We want to be fresh going into the PO's. I'm not concerned about the Pens being able to win games on the road. We can win in any building we play in as long as we're playing 100% so i don't think this is the year our coach should be squeezing our play sayin' we have to win 1st place because we don't have to win 1st to win a SC.

I hope that's a subtle admission that they're pacing themselves to make it through the regular season healthy enough for the playoffs (as I expected them to before it began).

I doubt any trade can improve them to any significant degree as long as the team isn't playing with the speed they were during the run last year, which they've yet to do this season. They're going to need that speed and full-court press style fore/backcheck to cut down on the goals against and improve puck possession. Without which they won't compete with either of their likely metro matchups (unless they get lucky and manage to fall into the 1st wild card).

So if they are intentionally saving energy for the playoffs, you can't really evaluate them yet because there's no way to tell how they'll compare to the cup run until they start giving 100% effort. Unless of course they already are, in which case they're in trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad