Salary Cap: 2016-17 Roster Building XXV | Fire Sales and Bargain Bins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Again, that's not the same thing. Him "not being worried about it" has nothing to do with whether he's received assurances or whatever. It could mean that. Or as pointed out above it could mean that he has the okay to buy him out if need be. Or it could simply be that he's not really worried about it, and is confident that it can be sorted out at a later date. The first two do not really bother me, however the third one is absolutely one that would cause people to be worried and nervous about it.

Yup I'm with you on this one. People are reading too much into that comment.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
But theres no reason to believe an experienced GM thinks that way.

Ah, F it we can figure it out later when our head on the chopping block. Lets wing it.

That's not what JR said but he also didn't say "I know we won't have to buy out MAF because he's said he will waive his NMC or I have trades lined up after the season that Marc has approved". Being confident you can do something and KNOWING it will happen are two different things. Plus, like I've said before, it's possible he's confident because he already has buy in from ownership to buy out Fleury as a last resort.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
That's not what JR said but he also didn't say "I know we won't have to buy out MAF because he's said he will waive his NMC or I have trades lined up after the season that Marc has approved". Being confident you can do something and KNOWING it will happen are two different things. Plus, like I've said before, it's possible he's confident because he already has buy in from ownership to buy out Fleury as a last resort.

Then thats all we need to know. If a bit of dead cap space is the worst case senario isnt worrying about it here a waste of ones time?

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

Yeah the way JR talked about it, he seemed confident that the Pens wouldn't have any issue with moving him or when the Expansion Draft comes and Murray is protected and he doesn't need to be protected or uses up a slot. There could be a handshake agreement there that the GM isn't talking about and rightfully so, it might not go over so well to the public.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
He didn't say he received assurance from his agent and even if he did, assurance of what? We really don't know. All we know is that he's not worried and he's talked with Marc's agent and feels comfortable.

Beating a dead horse, but I don't see what MAF and his agent have to do with the possibility of a buy out. I guess its possible, but it seems far more likely to me that Rutherford feels comfortable that MAF will be obliging about a move/waiving for the draft when the time comes.

Besides, I don't see a buy out as being anything to be comfortable with. It beats having to hastily trade away Murray but its still an unnecessary expense and imposition.

Guess we'll find out when the time comes. Wish we didn't have an entire year of this bloody soap opera.

hooverdam

Feb 21, 2013
I think you guys are reading too much into that quote if you assume it means Fleury will waive his NMC for the draft. I think it means they may play ball to accommodate a trade. That quote doesn't mean a buyout won't happen, by the way. It might just mean that ownership is open to a buyout so why would JR be worried?

I agree with this. I actually think, if that was the exact wording, he was also talking about a buyout. Like, softening the blow around buying out the guy he keeps telling everyone is a great goalie.

For all that this front office seems to realize Murray is the future, they do genuinely like Fleury and value him as a member of the organization. I take it to understand Fleury's been told that a buyout is on the table, and he gets why.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
They've been scouting the Ducks heavily recently, that's pretty interesting to see. I think they had their head scout at the Ducks-Avs game in the last month.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Vermette would make a lot of sense.

Center, best FO% in the league (63.3%), can PK, signed through next year at 1.75 mil per.

EDIT: Forgot he won the Cup with the Hawks in 2015 too. If we're scouting anybody on Anaheim, I think it's him.

Last edited:

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
Vermette would make a lot of sense.

Center, best FO% in the league (63.3%), can PK, signed through next year at 1.75 mil per.

EDIT: Forgot he won the Cup with the Hawks in 2015 too. If we're scouting anybody on Anaheim, I think it's him.

I sure hope not.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
We're the 5th worst faceoff team in the league.

Do you think that addressing that should be a priority going into the deadline, and if so, who do you think would be a better fit?

I know I got crap for it last time, but if the Pens can pry Antoine Vermette from the Ducks, he'd be my #1 target. He's fast, can play LW/C, is a solid penalty killer and he still produces, albeit at a bottom 6 worthy pace, but that's what you would want him for anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad