Salary Cap: 2016-17 Roster Building XXV | Fire Sales and Bargain Bins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Can't see how Dallas gets MAF in-season. JR would need to take back one of their albatrosses in net with a similar hit to MAF.

We're going to be getting something like that back regardless of when we move MAF. And if we don't, odds are it's because we're buying him out (or retained a significant portion of his salary).

Last edited:

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Can't see how Dallas gets MAF in-season. JR would need to take back one of their albatrosses in net with a similar hit to MAF.

JR probably doesn't have a choice. There aren't many teams in need of a goalie that don't have a guy they need to move the other way.

Niemi works because buying him out is cheaper per year and is only for 2 years instead of 4. Get Nill to add Oduya (assuming he will be healthy) and it's about as good as we can expect mid season.

Shwag33

May 27, 2008
JR probably doesn't have a choice. There aren't many teams in need of a goalie that don't have a guy they need to move the other way.

Niemi works because buying him out is cheaper per year and is only for 2 years instead of 4. Get Nill to add Oduya (assuming he will be healthy) and it's about as good as we can expect mid season.

This does seem like probably the best option we're going to get. Which can be done at the deadline or at the end of season.

The one thing that I think everyone is overlooking is that even if we buy fleury out; I believe the rules REQUIRE us to havea goalie that is eligible to be taken in the draft.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

Maybe, but moving MAF this way won't open up any cap room though.

Not sure they could afford Oduya as they are pressed agt the cap now. May have to be a prospect or a pick added in the deal from Dallas.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
The one thing that I think everyone is overlooking is that even if we buy fleury out; I believe the rules REQUIRE us to have a goalie that is eligible to be taken in the draft.

They do. However there's no requirements about how many games they've played or at what level or when they've played said games. Which means we could go sign any one of the washed up vets who've been kicking around and expose them, and it would count towards that requirement. Cheap as ****, but within the rules as specified.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I think Dallas would sooner go after Bishop and just try to sign him or another goalie. Because they have options as well, MAF isn't the only guy they can go after. They can just as easily go after the following to fix their issues and buy out one of their goalies in the off season:

Scott Darling - Off season
Antti Raanta - Off season
Ben Bishop - Now, or off season to get him and sign him first
Jimmy Howard - Now or off season and buy out Niemi
Malcolm Subban - Now, keep Lehtonen as a mentor and buyout Niemi, but they can get him now, call him up and give him some games - They might want to fire Reese as well and hire a new goalie coach.

Dallas has horrendous goaltending at virtually every level of hockey right now in their system, they're likely targeting either a goalie prospect that is on the cusp of being a starter, a back-up that is ready to be a starter (Like Jones & Talbot) or they're going to go after a team that has a young netminder that is pushing the starter (Bishop, Howard - Mrazek is having a rough year though and Coreau is trash).

But Fleury isn't the only game especially while he sits and this is what people don't get. The longer MAF sits, the longer we hold on to him. Fleury needs to play more, to rebound and get his numbers up, so people can see that hey this guy is just having a rough year but the guy is still a starter we can target. Playing 1 game in 3 weeks and having a decent showing is a good start. But as much as I think this team needs to move on from him, it also needs to play him so they can boost his numbers and visibility right now when there are other options that are getting their time.

Shwag33

May 27, 2008
They do. However there's no requirements about how many games they've played or at what level or when they've played said games. Which means we could go sign any one of the washed up vets who've been kicking around and expose them, and it would count towards that requirement. Cheap as ****, but within the rules as specified.

I thought they were still subject to the game requirement. Even if not would we have to sign said scrub for the entire year? I'm not sure if he's on a PTO that it would count.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

The Pens can also just put Maguire or DeSmith on their roster in the off season if both are under contract because of this rule. But if by some miracle they fix the MAF situation and take back a back-up that is signed past this season, that solves the issue on its own.

But I also feel like MAF might just waive his NMC for the expansion draft and expose himself to it to help the team if he isn't moved yet. Unless that isn't allowed.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I thought they were still subject to the game requirement. Even if not would we have to sign said scrub for the entire year? I'm not sure if he's on a PTO that it would count.

No, the games played only counts for the D/F. Odd, but I looked it up last time, and there's nothing there about the goalies - just that they have to be under contract for next season.

Saints11

Jan 24, 2012
Pittsburgh

Just read today that Oduya might be done for the year. Would rather get Niemi with some level of retention and the rights to Nichushkin.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Just read today that Oduya might be done for the year. Would rather get Niemi with some level of retention and the rights to Nichushkin.

I don't think the Pens would need to retain or Dallas if that's the case. But I would be down for that move.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

Very unlikely. I can't see DAL giving up much of anything if they're retaining on Niemi and acquiring MAF. That would put them at 12m+ for goaltending. In fact I have a hard time seeing them retaining anything on Niemi. Lehtonen maybe, but not Niemi.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Maybe, but moving MAF this way won't open up any cap room though.

Not sure they could afford Oduya as they are pressed agt the cap now. May have to be a prospect or a pick added in the deal from Dallas.

I was thinking something like Fleury for Niemi + Oduya 50% retained.

You'd then send down Ruhwedel. That's -50K on the cap though, so maybe a tad more retention (what is max retention?).

Anyway, something like that.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I was thinking something like Fleury for Niemi + Oduya 50% retained.

You'd then send down Ruhwedel. That's -50K on the cap though, so maybe a tad more retention (what is max retention?).

Anyway, something like that.

I dunno, I was thinking they should go after Dan Hamhuis.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Is anyone else thinking that JR and Co retaining MAF at last year's draft may be another potential organizational crippling move?

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Is anyone else thinking that JR and Co retaining MAF at last year's draft may be another potential organizational crippling move?

It could end up hurting. If he'd traded MAF to Calgary then they'd have the picks and could have done something with the cap space, they'd at least be in the clear. Now they might have to retain, they might have to take a bad contract back or they might have to buy him out. The cap will probably be effected in a time when some important players are getting re-signed and during part of the remaining window.

Unless they lose Murray or end up getting stuck with an Allen type of contract then it won't cripple them. Fleury really should have been traded when they had the chance.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I think Dallas would sooner go after Bishop and just try to sign him or another goalie. Because they have options as well, MAF isn't the only guy they can go after. They can just as easily go after the following to fix their issues and buy out one of their goalies in the off season:

Scott Darling - Off season
Antti Raanta - Off season
Ben Bishop - Now, or off season to get him and sign him first
Jimmy Howard - Now or off season and buy out Niemi
Malcolm Subban - Now, keep Lehtonen as a mentor and buyout Niemi, but they can get him now, call him up and give him some games - They might want to fire Reese as well and hire a new goalie coach.

Dallas has horrendous goaltending at virtually every level of hockey right now in their system, they're likely targeting either a goalie prospect that is on the cusp of being a starter, a back-up that is ready to be a starter (Like Jones & Talbot) or they're going to go after a team that has a young netminder that is pushing the starter (Bishop, Howard - Mrazek is having a rough year though and Coreau is trash).

But Fleury isn't the only game especially while he sits and this is what people don't get. The longer MAF sits, the longer we hold on to him. Fleury needs to play more, to rebound and get his numbers up, so people can see that hey this guy is just having a rough year but the guy is still a starter we can target. Playing 1 game in 3 weeks and having a decent showing is a good start. But as much as I think this team needs to move on from him, it also needs to play him so they can boost his numbers and visibility right now when there are other options that are getting their time.

Dallas thinks they are ready to contend for a Cup. They need an established proven netminder and Fleury fits the bill. There are other options, as you point out, but Raanta and Darling are risky options for a team looking to contend. Bishop makes sense, Howard is up and down but worse than Fleury on the whole (same thing with Mrazek). Subban is a potential long term option, but again, Dallas is looking to contend.

Dread Pirate Roberts

Jul 2, 2008
Mountain West

Just sign some guy and then make him Jarry's backup in WBS. If he doesn't clear waivers, OFW, they only signed him to expose in the expansion draft.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I'm waiting for Bob Pompeani's full JR sit down interview today on the TDL to be posted on KDKA so y'all can watch it but some cliffs of what JR said:

-team needs health and to elevate their play to compete for a Cup again
-said he's in the mix with talking to other GM's and willing to listen on anything
-said he'd do something if it made sense
-said yes, trading draft picks to win right now is something to do(ie. rentals) but you also have to balance that with keeping your draft picks to restock the cupboard
-prefers keeping MM/MAF til the seasons over and the biggest takeaway was...

-he said he's been in enough communication with MAF and his agent to know he'll be able to do whats best for the team when it comes to that tipping point with the ED.

That last one leads me to believe MAF is willing to waive if it comes to that.

I'll post the full interview as soon as it gets online.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
My personal belief has always been that MAF will want to be moved, regardless of NTC. I believe of his wish list of things, him getting 60 starts a year is right there at the top. Him not going into every game knowing he's going to play, and then getting a chance to play knowing that no matter how well he does he's going to sit...that's killing him right now.

I'm really hoping a contending team has a big time injury in goal and all of a sudden we become their besties.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I feel the same JTG but i do believe he wants this one last season playing with his buds in PIT and having a good shot at winning another Cup.

Once thats over and the ED is next, he knows the deal.
He knows what is likely gonna happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad