Salary Cap: 2016-17 Roster Building XXIX | Something, Something ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I have wondered if Landy or Kane might be a smarter play. I also suspect JR is fixated on Duchene. And, you know how JR gets when he's fixated on something . . . Kessel, the early bird special, etc.

Kane maybe, as I'd imagine he'd cost less than Landy. But if you're going to pay Maatta + 1st + X for Landy, I'd almost rather just pony up the extra little bit and get Duchene. I really question whether Landy really is what we need. We have a ton of winger depth. With Bonino playing as he currently is, our C depth isn't all that impressive.

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
Rutherford (according to Yohe) values him as highly as he values Guentzel - an elite prospect (who's next to untouchable). Per Yohe, that's the hangup with a Duchene deal. Sakic wants one of Sprong/Guentzel included and JR isn't budging.
Oh I'm very aware of this, but we are about to try and do a cup repeat. If he were to loosen his grip on a poker chip he is clenching onto. You'd have to think it's Sprong and not Guentzel. I know he is extremely touted by JR.

TheSniper26

Oct 2, 2005
Youngstown
A best case scenario for Sprong/Guentzel is getting to the level that Duchene's already at and he's still only 26. If adding one of them to the deal is what puts it over the top, I'd do it. The next 3-4 years will be the best chance for this team to get another cup and Duchene does more for us in that window than Sprong/Guentzel imo.

BetterCallSaul

Feb 28, 2017
If true I'll be pissed. I'd give up Sprong in a heart beat for Duchene, he may bust at the NHL level even though parts of his game were NHL ready when he was playing for the Pens. Duchene is a sure thing, unless the rest of the offer was terribad.

I agree absolutely with you. With Duchene we know what we get, while Sprong still has to go a long way before beeing an top 6 winger. Also, there is no guarantee he'll reach that level.

Return of the Paek

Jun 19, 2016
Kane maybe, as I'd imagine he'd cost less than Landy. But if you're going to pay Maatta + 1st + X for Landy, I'd almost rather just pony up the extra little bit and get Duchene. I really question whether Landy really is what we need. We have a ton of winger depth. With Bonino playing as he currently is, our C depth isn't all that impressive.

If they could do Kane for Maatta, then I would be thrilled. I think the hatred of Evander on these boards is a bit over-the-top even considering his off-ice issues.

Corvidae

May 5, 2009
This makes me happy! Thanks for posting.

Duchene just turned 26 and is only about 3 and a half years older than Guentzel. As for Sprong, he looks very promising but isn't a sure thing at all. I would not at all let either of them be a sticking point. This isn't some 30+ year old rental. But with that said, D is the name of the game, especially with some many question marks always over Letang and now Maatta. This is the wrong position to use assets for.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
A best case scenario for Sprong/Guentzel is getting to the level that Duchene's already at and he's still only 26. If adding one of them to the deal is what puts it over the top, I'd do it. The next 3-4 years will be the best chance for this team to get another cup and Duchene does more for us in that window than Sprong/Guentzel imo.

I'd move Sprong over Guentzel because we know Jake is an NHL player and is contributing already. He can also play center and wing, like Duchene. The more versatility the better. A shot like Sprong's is hard to teach though.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I love Sprong as a prospect but we're talking Matt effing Duchene here. He is already what we all hope and pray Sprong becomes. I'd feel a churn in my gut too if I were JR but I think ultimately I would be willing to include him in a deal.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve

I wouldn't want to pay that for landeskog anyway. If it's Maatta 1st X for him then, yeah, aim for Duchene so you don't get fleeced.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
If true I'll be pissed. I'd give up Sprong in a heart beat for Duchene, he may bust at the NHL level even though parts of his game were NHL ready when he was playing for the Pens. Duchene is a sure thing, unless the rest of the offer was terribad.

SO would I. But would you give him up in addition to Maatta, Jarry and a 1st? Despite how poor this draft apparently is, I'd have a hard time moving all of Sprong, Jarry and the 1st. And that's with me placing little value on Jarry. If we move Sprong, we'll need that 1st to draft another skilled forward.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
I'm sure JR will try to get Duchene without including Guentzel or Sprong, but again, if it came down to either of them having to be included, make the trade. Duchene is what you're praying Guentzel turns into, and Sprong has fantastic potential, but he's still probably 2 years away from getting any sort of real NHL duty.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
SO would I. But would you give him up in addition to Maatta, Jarry and a 1st? Despite how poor this draft apparently is, I'd have a hard time moving all of Sprong, Jarry and the 1st. And that's with me placing little value on Jarry. If we move Sprong, we'll need that 1st to draft another skilled forward.

Moving Sprong and the first would be a tough sell for me. One or the other, imo.

But as I just posted...gotta think long and hard about it. Duchene would be awesome here.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
If they could do Kane for Maatta, then I would be thrilled. I think the hatred of Evander on these boards is a bit over-the-top even considering his off-ice issues.

In a 1-1 deal? I think value wise that would be **** for Pittsburgh. I'm also not sure what else BUF could (realistically) add that would change my mind. D>W - especially when talking about their respective contracts, age, and off issue(s).

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

No I wouldn't move all 4, but I'd swap out the 1st for Jarry or I'd consider adding DP if we got Wiercioch in addition to Duchene.

It's easy for me to sit here and say that. If I were in JR's position, I'd definitely be stewing over it a little more.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house

I really can't imagine that. I'd give them a couple extra picks plus Simon or Pouliot or Blueger, but I really can't see giving up a top 4 D, two A prospects, and a 1st. That's too much for almost any player to me personally. I really like Duchene but that's more than we gave up for Phil quality-wise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad