Salary Cap: 2016-17 Roster Building XXIX | Something, Something ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
If there has been no MAF trade until now, I doubt that there will be one. You can't think that JR is all that interested in what the return is at this point. If there is any haggling it would be how much the Pens retain. I would think if they ate a couple million a year for the next two years he suddenly becomes a fairly easy trade, so that is the last hope. MAF at $3.75 million per would be attractive I would think.

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
Trading Sprong wold be so short sighted. It's my belief he will be able to contribute at the earliest this post season and the latest would be full time next year.

Don't do it JR

I dont think anyone WANTS to trade Sprong.

But if the options are Sprong / Jake / Sheary ... you gotta do Sprong.

Sure, he looks awesome and me MAY pan out to be even better. But we dont know that. Jake and Sheary are currently helping the team. Im not sure its any less short-sighted to trade one of those guys for something that MAY never be.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
I would be sad to see Sprong and others go, but I've been really really high on Duchene for a while, I didn't even think he was remotely a trade possibility for us. I think that he would really be the last piece for our forward core, with the younger guys we have rounding it up. (Assuming we don't give up ALL our younger guys.)

I can't imagine giving up more than one of Sprong, Guentzel, Jarry. If Sundqvist is in there too I guess I can live with it but that still stings.

Here's the other thing: Just yesterday I was speculating how replaceable Maatta is, but that was a long term question. If we dealt him I just don't know if we have enough noteworthy defensemen for these playoffs. If Kulikov could replace him temporarily that's fine I guess, but that'd be another trade we'd have to outbid other teams.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Yeah this is a tough situation for JR. He wants to make his mark and go bold as the Caps have, but there are other teams that NEED Duchene more than us. Maybe there are other options available that we don't know about.

I have wondered if Landy or Kane might be a smarter play. I also suspect JR is fixated on Duchene. And, you know how JR gets when he's fixated on something . . . Kessel, the early bird special, etc.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Kirk's shots are all in good fun. If it had been a shot from RG, it would have been a deadly serious dose of "**** off. **** you. **** everything. **** shero/pouliot. bad goal by murray".

Son of a *****. I knew I forgot something. :rant:

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
I have wondered if Landy or Kane might be a smarter play. I also suspect JR is fixated on Duchene. And, you know how JR gets when he's fixated on something . . . Kessel, the early bird special, etc.

JR gets less fixated than Shero by a country mile. I'm cautiously hopeful he won't give up the farm for the biggest fish to the exclusion of all others.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

Ha yeah that early bird special is tough to pass up.

I think Duchene is the best player of the 3 and is the best fit, but depending on assets given up, the others could be good options. The lockerroom and off ice stuff with Kane has me skeptical, but there is a lot I like about him on the ice.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I feel like we could probably get Kane for close to straight up with Maatta, so is Duchene really worth what it would cost for Kane plus Sprong, Jarry and possibly more? I'm not sure.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Cant remember where I saw it but apparently the Habs are working on an extension for Radulov. 4 years / $7.5mil per.

Thats their big deadline move. To screw the team even more haha

Boom. That's a pretty hefty extension. Do you know what this reminds me of? Semin getting a 5x7m extension while in the middle of a PPG season (13g/44pts, 44 games), then sucking ass for a couple years before being bought out. I don't think Radulov is going to follow suit, but that's a huge commitment to make to someone who'll be 31 and is back in the NHL for the first time in 5/6 years.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Ha yeah that early bird special is tough to pass up.

I think Duchene is the best player of the 3 and is the best fit, but depending on assets given up, the others could be good options. The lockerroom and off ice stuff with Kane has me skeptical, but there is a lot I like about him on the ice.

Before trading Despres for Lovejoy, JR actually offered him to a restaurant I can't name in exchange for entry 30 minutes before it opened for the early bird specials. :popcorn:

Penske

Kunitz wasn't there
Jan 13, 2016
I feel like we could probably get Kane for close to straight up with Maatta, so is Duchene really worth what it would cost for Kane plus Sprong, Jarry and possibly more? I'm not sure.

It would leave us with some assets to bring in a D man as well. I'd rather Duchene still but depending on what the price is.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
KIRK hasn't let IC out of his crawlspace, so no.

Pssshhh... keep up with the rumors... Ic is dead and buried in Kirks basement... he killed him in a lovers quarrel over what the best honorary food to celebrate the pens cup win was... IC was adament it was the HBK from primantis... so he sort of deserved it....

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve

I don't have the highest opinion of landeskog's offensive game but you've got to figure that if Duchene is stupidly expensive then Kane, Landeskog, Johnson or whoever else is on that tier is interesting. Personality and off ice problems for Kane aside they'd be good additions and one would probably be a more palatable price.

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005

I've been on board with grabbing Kane for a while. I get why some others don't want him, but a maatta plus picks for Kane deal is a lot easier to stomach than duchene for everything we have left haha.

In the same breath, though, Kane and duchene aren't really comparable talents.

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
Boom. That's a pretty hefty extension. Do you know what this reminds me of? Semin getting a 5x7m extension while in the middle of a PPG season (13g/44pts, 44 games), then sucking ass for a couple years before being bought out. I don't think Radulov is going to follow suit, but that's a huge commitment to make to someone who'll be 31 and is back in the NHL for the first time in 5/6 years.

Grrr. And I cant find where I saw it so maybe it was a dream.

Its not the best use of funds. Thats a lot of money for mostly a playmaker that wasnt on pace for 65pts before last nights 4pt game. He's good when he's on, to say the least. But I dont think he's $7.5mil good.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Pssshhh... keep up with the rumors... Ic is dead and buried in Kirks basement... he killed him in a lovers quarrel over what the best honorary food to celebrate the pens cup win was... IC was adament it was the HBK from primantis... so he sort of deserved it....

Maybe you should keep up with the rumors. KIRK said that he does not have a basement.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
I dont think anyone WANTS to trade Sprong.

But if the options are Sprong / Jake / Sheary ... you gotta do Sprong.

Sure, he looks awesome and me MAY pan out to be even better. But we dont know that. Jake and Sheary are currently helping the team. Im not sure its any less short-sighted to trade one of those guys for something that MAY never be.

Based off of injuries and how the Pens have looked the past month or so, I'm not selling the house to make a run this year. Have some patience and see how the year plays out and regroup next for a run next year if we can't repeat. That would be my approach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad