Salary Cap: 2016-17 Roster Building XXIX | Something, Something ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaftception

Apr 6, 2011

Could be Halak or Duchene. Either way bad for us. :cry:

If outbidding nyi for Duchene would require what has been discussed I think I'd feel better with them taking their chances with a minor deal or what they've already got and convincing myself repeating isn't all it's cracked up to be.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Just looking more and more like MAF is going to have to be bought out.

Really hoping some miracle happens with Duchene to the Pens, but I don't really think he's gonna be moved until the summer anyway.

Gonna be rough if we don't land a big fish. Even healthy, I'm not sure we stack up well against the Caps.

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
Based off of injuries and how the Pens have looked the past month or so, I'm not selling the house to make a run this year. Have some patience and see how the year plays out and regroup next for a run next year if we can't repeat. That would be my approach.

If it wasnt for the injuries, Id disagree entirely.

But good christ .. our D looks so bad right now. Even if healthy at playoffs, 3 of the guys will not have played for 6 weeks. THEN running the gauntlet in the playoffs? Lets just say Im less than optimistic.

If we went in healthy, you'd be crazy to think we shouldnt go for it.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
I hope miller and Halak are traded to teams like the oilers, sharks or blues. Leaving CGY with only MAF. Obviously they dont have to make a trade but hoping they get desperate.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Isn't MAF going to Vegas?? He he waives his NMC for the Expansion Draft correct?? Who is better for Vegas to take

There'll be lots of goalies available this summer. Questionable whether they're better than MAF or not, but PIT will expose some interesting options (F/D) and I could easily see them going with one of those guys over MAF and just sorting out their goalie situation in FA or even trading peanuts for MAF later on.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
it's halak that's being traded

Halak to Flames
Duchene to Isles

Isles fans laugh so hard at us getting rid of Halak over Fleury, aswell as getting Duchene instead of us. Then Caps fans hold hands with isles fans and laugh at us, then Flyers fans, BJ fans, then NYR fans. Then they all look at eachother and start making out. Then we laugh last.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
It would depend on JR's willingness to deplete our farm/prospect pool. 1st + Sprong + ? Possibly ++ ?

I do not see him trading Sheary or Guentzel at all unless it was for an elite upgrade, Kessel caliber. So I guess it depends on how valuable JR views Sprong, he is our only really valuable poker chip.

Rutherford (according to Yohe) values him as highly as he values Guentzel - an elite prospect (who's next to untouchable). Per Yohe, that's the hangup with a Duchene deal. Sakic wants one of Sprong/Guentzel included and JR isn't budging.

JackFr

Jun 18, 2010
I can't help but feel JR is gonna strike out on Fleury and a Duchene deal and we're gonna make some crummy Filppula deal or something.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I hope miller and Halak are traded to teams like the oilers, sharks or blues. Leaving CGY with only MAF. Obviously they dont have to make a trade but hoping they get desperate.

You have to think the Isles are offering to eat big money on Halak. Halak at 4.5M? Nah, don't see it. Halak at 2.25M? I could see 3-4 teams being interested.

Look, it costs 1.9M over 4 years to buyout Fleury. I'd offer to eat up to that much . . . Fleury at 3.85M. Don't think JR is going there, though . . .

I still blame Kunitz for Oshie not being here

:laugh:

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Rutherford (according to Yohe) values him as highly as he values Guentzel - an elite prospect (who's next to untouchable). Per Yohe, that's the hangup with a Duchene deal. Sakic wants one of Sprong/Guentzel included and JR isn't budging.

This makes me happy! Thanks for posting.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
if the pens were to trade fleury, hed be a scratch tonite. if hes not, hes staying.

MAF could still be the backup tonight and if not moved, traded tomorrow. If Rutherford is actually having any discussions about MAF with anyone, that's probably how it plays out. We'll probably get an idea when the starter for tonight's game is named.

Bar Down

Bar Mexico
Jan 28, 2013
Beneath PPG Paints
Every time I refresh this page and realize there's no news yet:

Staal.jpg

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
You have to think the Isles are offering to eat big money on Halak. Halak at 4.5M? Nah, don't see it. Halak at 2.25M? I could see 3-4 teams being interested.

Look, it costs 1.9M over 4 years to buyout Fleury. I'd offer to eat up to that much . . . Fleury at 3.85M. Don't think JR is going there, though . . .

Hmmm Fleury at 1.9M dead cap space for 4 years or 2M cap space for 2 years? think it's a no brainer, go for the 2 years eating 2M.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012

I cant believe the team put themselves in this position. Nearly 2m of dead cap sucks. Do you think a MAF deal is at all likely?

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
I've been on board with grabbing Kane for a while. I get why some others don't want him, but a maatta plus picks for Kane deal is a lot easier to stomach than duchene for everything we have left haha.

In the same breath, though, Kane and duchene aren't really comparable talents.
I could do a "maatta for kane" wouldn't want to add....I would hope that the playoffs would be over before he could do much damage. ..then you could let lv have him or move him for something else.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh

To save $1.9 million for two years? I suppose that I would too, but would want something in return. For a couple million a year two years down the road (when the cost would be closer to $1.5 million per because of the cap rising), you may as well keep him as a backup if you get nothing back. Or hope to talk him into waiving and saving it all. That is about as far as I would go, that couple million retained but would want something back in return.

Jul 4, 2010
I'm definitely intrigued with AZ taking calls on Duclair. I'd love to have him here personally, he's young, fast, and has a great shot. He's having a pretty bad year so might be able to get him cheap.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
Halak trade does not have to be bad news. If he is, like Bishop, traded to one of the backup spots (Edmonton, San Jose), that has no further implications for us really.

thats what im hoping for. Less goalies on the market + CGY not getting anyone = better chance.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC

If true I'll be pissed. I'd give up Sprong in a heart beat for Duchene, he may bust at the NHL level even though parts of his game were NHL ready when he was playing for the Pens. Duchene is a sure thing, unless the rest of the offer was terribad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad