Salary Cap: 2016-17 Roster Building XXIX | Something, Something ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaftception

Apr 6, 2011
I'm sure JR will try to get Duchene without including Guentzel or Sprong, but again, if it came down to either of them having to be included, make the trade. Duchene is what you're praying Guentzel turns into, and Sprong has fantastic potential, but he's still probably 2 years away from getting any sort of real NHL duty.

To me the hangup isn't to trade Sprong or not, it's is Duchene worth 1st/Maata/Jarry on top of Sprong.

Jul 4, 2010
What's Duclair's story? If a team like AZ is willing to give him up, presumably for picks, how coveted could he be?

Looking on the AZ board it seems like they sent him down to the A because Tippett gave him the "Bylsma Treatment" and buried him in the lineup. So that may be a reason for his struggles this year. Could need a change of scenery. We seem to have pretty good luck with reclamation projects.

As for his attitude or character, I'm not too sure if there are concerns about that. Can't really remember hearing any issues.

DeadPuckEra

Dec 19, 2014
If the goalie market is all about a goalie who cleared waivers to make it to the AHL... then people better stop getting their hopes up about Fleury. Like it or not, the Bylsma era playoff collapses ruined the guys value seemingly for good.

Thanks Dan.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
SO would I. But would you give him up in addition to Maatta, Jarry and a 1st? Despite how poor this draft apparently is, I'd have a hard time moving all of Sprong, Jarry and the 1st. And that's with me placing little value on Jarry. If we move Sprong, we'll need that 1st to draft another skilled forward.

Hard time? sure. But if push comes to shove i'd probably overpay a little to get him here indeed. Jarry can easily be a career AHLer. Go big or go home! Caps got Shattenkirk, we get Duchene then go on a roll after the TDL for the final stretch and into the playoffs. Then we just find a bottom pairing guy for D and we are done. We can't predict how prospects turn out, no point in guessing.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
Every time I refresh this page and realize there's no news yet:

Staal.jpg

Why does Eric Staal's helmet always look way over sized for his head? Is his head actually light bulb shaped?

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I really can't imagine that. I'd give them a couple extra picks plus Simon, but I really can't see giving up a top 4 D, two A prospects, and a 1st. That's too much for almost any player to me personally. I really like Duchene but that's more than we gave up for Phil quality-wise.

We have to stop using Kessel as a benchmark. Toronto HAD to move him, and his NTC limited them to basically one team - Pittsburgh. The "value" he brought back was **** then and despite how KK is doing, is **** now.

Duchene is a center, younger, cheaper, doesn't have a NTC/NMC and Colorado isn't in a position where they have to trade him. He's going to cost more. The question is how much more, and whether we can (or should) afford it.

Dey so soff*

Feb 17, 2017
Look on the bright side, we've got MAF and his $5.75 million smile with us through the rest of the season!

Shaftception

Apr 6, 2011
I really can't imagine that. I'd give them a couple extra picks plus Simon or Pouliot or Blueger, but I really can't see giving up a top 4 D, two A prospects, and a 1st. That's too much for almost any player to me personally. I really like Duchene but that's more than we gave up for Phil quality-wise.

But that's the supposed issue, we had no competition for Phil. Not only is there competition for Duchene but other teams need him more than we do, regardless of how much JR might be interested. And Sakic doesn't need to sell him before the draft, getting a desperate overpay at this deadline would just be a bonus.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
We all said we would need a little bit of luck to unload MAF. Welp... in 24 hours we are about to see a lot of frustration and I can't say it isn't warranted. Yikes.

Shaftception

Apr 6, 2011
We have to stop using Kessel as a benchmark. Toronto HAD to move him, and his NTC limited them to basically one team - Pittsburgh. The "value" he brought back was **** then and despite how KK is doing, is **** now.

Duchene is a center, younger, cheaper, doesn't have a NTC/NMC and Colorado isn't in a position where they have to trade him. He's going to cost more. The question is how much more, and whether we can (or should) afford it.

Basically exactly this.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house

Yeah you guys are correct I didn't think that part through. Regardless I'd say it's too rich for my blood but I wouldn't argue with anyone that disagreed. The trade would gut our system in a way.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
I really doubt the asking price of Duchene is Sprong+Maatta+Jarry+1st. If that's the package we're sending, I'd expect something else of significance coming back in addition to Duchene.

I'm perfectly fine with Maatta + Sprong/Guentzel/Jarry (preferred) + 1st, and I doubt it'd take that much to be honest.

Again, I doubt he's even moved until the summer. I just hope JR is pressing the issue hard right now, because he's a fantastic player and a fantastic fit.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010

This is true however including a dman like Maatta instantly changes the landscape of the trade. Maatta is a major piece. Bigger than people realize to be honest.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
I really doubt the asking price of Duchene is Sprong+Maatta+Jarry+1st. If that's the package we're sending, I'd expect something else of significance coming back in addition to Duchene.

I'm perfectly fine with Maatta + Sprong/Guentzel/Jarry (preferred) + 1st, and I doubt it'd take that much to be honest.

Again, I doubt he's even moved until the summer. I just hope JR is pressing the issue hard right now, because he's a fantastic player and a fantastic fit.

If price is Maatta, Sprong, 1st, Jarry then i'd want Duchene retained a little...maybe 1M? He only has 2 more years after this year left, should be no problem.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
Yakupov :laugh:

If the hangup is that Sakic is making a deal without pressure and Canaan for the moon then I would rather JR not get hosed. There have to be other acquisitions out there available at a leaner price. And an arms race with other Metro teams is one we just cannot win. Not with our pospect pool and our recent history of sacrificing picks.

If we repeat its gonna be on the guys we have here, not an acquisition giving us that extra edge, imo

Jul 4, 2010
I believe I read on the Duchene thread that Bobby Mac said the Isles would have to part with Pulock, Barzal, 1st, Sorokin for Duchene. Honestly if I'm Sakic I take that package over Maatta, Sprong/Guentzel, 1st, Jarry.

Sideline

May 23, 2004
If price is Maatta, Sprong, 1st, Jarry then i'd want Duchene retained a little...maybe 1M? He only has 2 more years after this year left, should be no problem.

I'd want some retention and a warm body to help on defense for the rest of this season.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
what're you guys worried about? you hate fleury for no reason. they will have no problem trading him

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
How do others value Jarry as a prospect? Because while I think he has value and is doing well in the AHL... I really could not care less if we moved him in a deal for someone other than a rental. My only hangup with a MD deal is moving both the 1st and Sprong, as I think we need one or the other going forward so we still have (or have the chance at having) cheap effective forwards/players 3+ years from now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad